Sony Profit down 90 Percent :(

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With all the blu-ray player they sell and profits are down 90% this sounds bad :(

I may buy a blu-ray movie to help them out !!!!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I actually saw the drop being reported as 95% YoY...couldn't have happened to a more deserving company, IMO.

When your standing policy is to flip the middle-finger at your customers and generally regard them as inconsequential children, I say fuck you and good riddance.

Between their long history of using their monopoly-style influence to force technologically proprietary crap into market domination and their treatment of customer as criminals by surreptitiously installing rootkits onto the PCs of people who were naive enough to actually by a Sony-backed CD...fuck 'em.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
With all the blu-ray player they sell and profits are down 90% this sounds bad :(

I may buy a blu-ray movie to help them out !!!!

Sony is the controller of their own demise.
Every business model they have is in the pursuit of pushing more movie content. Even their video game systems. There's just too many ways for people to get the movies of their choice, legal or illegal, that doesn't require the redesign or revamping of their entire home theatre system. What's worse is that Sony is not allowing the home consumer affordable tools to make their own Blu Ray movies. As it stands, only 2 or 3 actual applications that I know of (two on the PC side and one on the Mac) allows a person creating video to author a BD. And these programs are all over $1000 each, nevermind actual BD burners which are still over the budgets of most people. Doesn't help that the media averages to to $20 a disc as well. Plus, we have to take into consideration the budgets needed by film & game developers and studios to create in HD to support this technology. It's all gotten too expensive way too quickly for everyone involved.

In all honesty, I still think they pushed on Blu Ray technology too soon. HD DVD, although an inferior product spec-wise, was more affordable and would have met most people's needs in the movie and computer departments. I don't own, nor do I intend to own a Blu Ray anytime soon. That may change once it becomes a more accepted and affordable norm. Toshiba shouldn't have abandoned their HD DVD technology so soon because they could be forging a comeback.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Toshiba is fucking throwing a party... ding dong the witch is dying!

I have had more Sony shit break than you can shake a stick at, but it was all from their consumer division... I own a professional Sony product that has hardly ever missed a beat. Sony is kind to it's professional consumer shoppers yet as one esteemed poster said, "It treats it's customer base like children"

I had a Trinitron TV take a shit on me last July for no reason, and I've since gone Samsung like everyone else...

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
... surreptitiously installing rootkits onto the PCs of people who were naive enough to actually by a Sony-backed CD...fuck 'em.

Thank you for not forgetting. (That crush, it's mutual!)

May Viacom enjoy the same fate.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well, this is interesting...
Seems as if Sony is finally listening. The new Toast 10 Pro for Mac includes HD & Blu-Ray video authoring for only $150. There's one piece of the puzzle... now all we need is cheaper burners and media and Sony may have a shot. If only for a few more years before they botch it all up again.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I actually saw the drop being reported as 95% YoY...couldn't have happened to a more deserving company, IMO.

When your standing policy is to flip the middle-finger at your customers and generally regard them as inconsequential children, I say fuck you and good riddance.

Between their long history of using their monopoly-style influence to force technologically proprietary crap into market domination and their treatment of customer as criminals by surreptitiously installing rootkits onto the PCs of people who were naive enough to actually by a Sony-backed CD...fuck 'em.

Meh.

With the way things are going regarding DRM in general, I think it's a bit unfair to peg Sony as "the Great Satan" here for trying to control their media, and I can think of quite a few that are significantly worse in those regards.

I mean, at least you could listen to those Sony CDs as much as you wanted after you bought them. PC videogames from EA are glorified rentals with their 3 authentications per disc before turning into a coaster.

Oh, and let's not forget the software out there now that requires you to be online for you to even use it.

My favorite part is that none of it does a damn thing to media pirating. It just functions to hurt the legitimate consumer.

Well, companies are stupid.

That said, Sony's troubles really have little to do with their practices or products. The exchange rate being 80 yen to the dollar is killing them and many other big companies from Japan, along with the Japanese economy as a whole, which is very much export- and consumer-based.

husky14620

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have bought ONE Blu-ray disc since Toshita dropped out of HD-DVD, owning both a Sony BDP-S1 and a Toshiba HD-A35 player. I have spent a lot trying to build a library of HD-DVD's before they are all gone.

The Sony won't output a proper 5.1 signal on the optical cable, so I have no surround with it. Oh, it will put out 5.1 to a SONY decoder, just not to any other "standard" surround system.

The Toshiba puts out just as nice a picture as the Sony, and sends the proper 5.1 to the surround, but can't remember to keep the "sound effects" for the remote turned off from disc to disc, or even from removing and reinserting the same disc.

Neither of them does upconversion as well as my Sharp 42" 1080p LCD does on its own with a 480p signal from an ordinary DVD player, though the Toshiba does do better than the Sony.

And Sony was a big part of the earlier format war, in recordable DVD... They pushed PLUS discs as better than minus, too bad their Blu-Ray player won't read plus discs at all. And since they invented CDs along with Phillips, you would think they could play CDs. You'd be wrong.

The BDP-S1 is the VERY LAST SONY PRODUCT I WILL EVER PURCHASE.