Sony's PlayStation 3 makes chaotic US debut

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Nov 18, 2006.

1. dong20

Gold Member

More... and more...

Is this for real, I mean some pushing and shoving and even profiteering may be expected; but violence and even shootings over a games console?:eek:

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yup.

The Funniest part of it all.... These people are gonna pay $500-600 for this unit now, and at NEXT christmas.... I'll be able to get it on Ebay for Around $50, and have NO lines at all....

Ah.. to think what I could do with $500...
    Lets see:

New Nitrous injectors...
    Caltracs for my truck...
    OOh... I could buy that new Eaton 800 ft/lb Posi Carrier..
    Flex-a-Lite 282 Dual Electric Fans...
    Mmmm... new set of Forged Aluminum Pistons....
    ah... 5 angle Port and FLow job on my heads...
    New Stainless Steel Headers...
    oh the endless possibilities..

And you know what - Im going to have More fun with the above items than any kid sitting in front of the TV playing a Video Game!

3. dong20

Gold Member

Nearer $2000 for some it seems!! Two US units were on Ebay for £930 each but seem to have been removed!

A similar thing happened here last year with the XBOX-360, though as far as I know without the shootings. Bonkers I tell ya, bonkers.

4. BJT

BJT New Member

I was one of the fools standing in line...luckliy we had no violece other than a little fight between a couple people. I bought a PS3 and listed it on eBay within 45 minutes of buying it. Should sell for 2000-2500 :)

600 for a console haha no way I could buy a real nice lens for that much.

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

My cousin just sold one of the two he got for $2500. It's not just shooting over a game console. You're walking around waving $2500 basically.

6. dong20

Gold Member

So shooting someone for a potential $2500 is ok then?

7. BlackCock85

Gold Member

Albums:
    The funny thing is, all these units people are running out for now are the ones that are going to be infested with bugs. It's better to wait instead of running out and getting a brand new product *shakes head*

8. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

No, but your words for a game console spoken presumably in disbelief are inaccurate by themselves. Nobody was shooting anyone for an Atari 2600 when they were selling for $49.99.

9. jdcnow

jdcnow New Member

Agreed, whole-heartedly. Speaking as someone who works in the retail sector, it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant, ill-mannered, and downright obnoxious some customers act, when there is simply no reason for it. Now last year, I did stand in line at my local Wal-Mart Supercenter for a $378 laptop computer at half past Midnight and stayed there in line until 5:00am for the Day-After-Thanksgiving sale to begin. But I behaved myself and so did the other people in line. There is simply no reason for this kind of downright foolishness.:mad:

From what I also heard, people who were in line standing outdoors were getting robbed. Turns out the robbers knew that every person standing in line had roughly $600 on them per person, so everyone please be careful when you are out shopping this time of year.

10. dong20

Gold Member

I stand corrected. He was shot for the $500 he was going to spend on the console. It was opportunistic. Had he thought about it, the robber should have waited until his victim had a console, which would have been a much more profitable theft.

Incidentally, there was a near riot a year or two back when an IKEA store opened, near me as it happens. A person was stabbed, presumably over some especially pleasant soft furnishings.

As for the mob scenes, fighting and robberies, I can quite believe it. My disbelief was not literal but in the sense of what will we find to be mean to each other over next.

11. stetree

stetree New Member

Albums:
    Mmmmmm a warm up for the release of the next harry potter book maybe lol

12. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

In general, the lines for the PS3s were remarkably placid and civil. These were mostly people with no lives of the dork/geek/nerd variety.... and they tend to have a strong sense of community at these things. Waiting in line for Star Wars movie premieres, toy sales, that sort of thing.

Compared to waiting in line with people with no lives of the unemployed/living in the ghetto/desperate thug variety.... such as the crowds that gather to buy new pairs of Air Jordan brand sneakers. I've been party to these events, as well. There shootings, riots and violence are almost commonplace.

Anyway, one guy getting shot out of around 200,000 people standing in line seems almost unremarkable... and most of the lines, like I said, were very organized and civil. There was not widespread chaos and violence. Where my cousin was waiting, everyone had a number and waited in line patiently for the 3 days that they were there. No violence at all.

13. dong20

Gold Member

No doubt, as usual the media picked up on the worst of what happened not the norm.

There are very very few things for which I would wait in line 3 days (or even 3 hrs come to that), and none of them are a games console...:biggrin1:

14. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Y' know, it's amazing how we as humans evolved from primates to the point where we fight with weapons over a simple over priced electronic toy.:rant:

$500? Jeez, I'll wait 'round for it to drop to 1/2 of that thank you very much. my major medical doesn't cover hospitalization costs due to purchasing video games/consoles.:duh:

15. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Yeah, to be quite honest, I can't see the personal value for the product. I'm sure it's an impressive gaming machine, but it doesn't have enough games or even enough "out" time for me. Like a couple of posters have mentioned earlier, I wouldn't even consider the product until (1) bugs are remedied and it's fully-functional, (2) it's at a MUCH cheaper price point, and (3) there are more games available. Until then, I'll just play my PS2 games on my PS2.

16. jfrsndvs

jfrsndvs Member

Albums:
    it was bad, there isn't a game that is worth all the headaches of a silly ass game console, yes there were some people that were robbed, a couple of them shot and stabbed, it really could have been worse that what it was, as one poster mentioned, the media got involved, ran their big mouths, over played reality as usual. in more ways than one, the media gets in there and makes just about any situation worse than what it really is.

now as for those who were willing to wait in line for three days, crazy, they have very little in life apparently, and then there are those who will actually buy that thing on ebay for ungodly price, them people are complete idiots, hell, for $2500, I could do a lot of extra work on my house.

17. majormadness

majormadness New Member

I'm probably never buying a PS3. Perhaps I've been jaded by such other "next big things" in gaming such as the Atari 5600 and 7200, the Virtual Boy, the Neo Geo Pocket Color, and other systems that were rediculously expensive. None of them had even moderate success. That's why, if I buy any new system, it's the Wii.

Perhaps, if my parents morgaged the house and sold my sister into slavery, we could put a down payment on the PS3. It's almost expensive enough to warrent a financing plan, like with a car.

Yeop. No console is worth the headaches that the PS3 is causing.

18. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
  19. dong20

Gold Member

I've never been a Sony fan, I don't think I have a single Sony appliance. But in the fiasco that is the PS3 launch they have outdone themselves. I agree with you about HD and it's Sony's attempts to force their proprietory standards on us, even when the rest of the industry has settled elsewhere that is one of key the reasons I avoid their stuff. That and the lousy after sales service.

EDIT: Wow, was your post a figment of my imagination or did you have a radical change of heart.:biggrin1: How you doing?

20. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    I work in a nerd haven. Imagine the talk about the Dell office, if you dare.

People actually asked off from work to run out and buy this console. Even more called in sick.

Draft saved Draft deleted