Sony's PlayStation 3 makes chaotic US debut

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I work in a nerd haven. Imagine the talk about the Dell office, if you dare.

People actually asked off from work to run out and buy this console. Even more called in sick.

Sounds like they weren't really planning ahead. If you actually wanted to get one of these things you probably would have had to take off at least two days, maybe three.

Unless you were one of those people trying to push your way to the front of the line that got maced by riot police. :biggrin1:

and regarding HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray... HD-DVD has the edge in the market right now, but 500,000 to a million PS3s in homes by the end of 2007's first quarter is going to shift the balance dramatically. In addition, X-Box 360s don't even play HD-DVDs unless you buy an additional add-on, an add-on, which, I imagine, most people are simply not going to bother with. The quality of either medium is almost irrelevant. Reference VHS vs. betamax (which was better) or any of Nintendo's handhelds vs. any other it was competing against at the time (all of which have been technologically superior but not as popular). Don't count Blu-Ray out just yet.

Ummagumma

Experimental Member
Media
I bought a Wii today.

Me and a group of friends (about 8 of us) stood in line all night, as opposed to our standard alcohol fests (all told, considering what we saved on bar booze and the price of the console, I didn't even spend that much more than an average weekend).

The 'Wii Sports' pack-in is a riot and a half. Played tennis for hours (all while the cold rain came down hard outside :rolleyes:), very easy to get into, and you almost forget it's just a video game. I woke up a few hours ago (I didn't sleep all night in line), and my arm is actually a little sore :eek:.

The line outside my local department store was civil, and as NIC said...

mostly people with no lives of the dork/geek/nerd variety.... and they tend to have a strong sense of community at these things.

The manager there said the PS3 launch was equally tame, though those people waited for 3 full days for 7 consoles, while 50 of us waited about 8-12 hours.

Oh, and personally, anybody that pays 2500 for a PS3 is fucking nuts. The wii was 250 and I wasn't sure on it until the very end when I just said 'fuck it' ... but at least it plays totally different than any other console I've had in my life (not a huge gamer here, have had them most of my life, but generally just one per cycle, and I go months, if not years sometimes, without playing them).

horsehungtim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hurray for Wii!

Hurray for PS3!

Boo Xbox 360!

my version:

Hurray for Wii!

Ehh for Xbox360...

Boo Minus for PS3!
------
Wii has originality. Xbox has hardware problems. PS3 has all kinds of issues with it being Sony. The company that brought you rootkit infected CDs and then passed it off as no big thing.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The last video game I actually owned was a Coleco version of Pong, and that was a couple years after they were first introduced. The last video game I played with any regularity or interest was "Tempest", back in about '83. Obviously, my opinion about any of this is pretty irrelavent. I did pay too much for an xbox 360 last year as a Christmas present for my then lover. Of course, he has now left me for someone else, so I at least won;t be out an excessive amount for a PSP3 this year....:rolleyes:

aleftcurve

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
I managed to get both the PS3,and the Wii at launch with out getting shot or mugged. I'm keeping the Wii(loads of fun), not to sure about the PS3.Probably gonna sell it.. I've had the Xbox 360 since launch as well. No problems with it what so ever.The HD-DVD drive is great! I can't buy or watch regular dvds anymore.

RandomBottle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:eek: Gods... People need to learn some fucking patience. I love games as much as any of those people, but thats bloody pathetic. You know the world sucks when others are beginning to kill people for a VIDEO GAME SYSTEM. Are they fucking insane?

Rant over... I don't see the big attraction to the PS3... Especially with that rediculous price. I'll stick with Nintendo and Microsoft, thanks.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
and regarding HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray... HD-DVD has the edge in the market right now, but 500,000 to a million PS3s in homes by the end of 2007's first quarter is going to shift the balance dramatically. In addition, X-Box 360s don't even play HD-DVDs unless you buy an additional add-on, an add-on, which, I imagine, most people are simply not going to bother with. The quality of either medium is almost irrelevant. Reference VHS vs. betamax (which was better) or any of Nintendo's handhelds vs. any other it was competing against at the time (all of which have been technologically superior but not as popular). Don't count Blu-Ray out just yet.

Hmmm, maybe. Don't get me wrong wasn't slating Blu-Ray and I hope you're right, I believe that Blu-Ray is intrinciscally better never mind having 40% more capacity but:
  • HDDVD titles and players are in the market place
  • It's cheaper
  • It has Movie industry buy in (Including Paramount, Universal Studios and Warner Bros. (along with Time Warner-owned New Line Cinema).
  • HDDVD players are backward comptible with std DVDs
  • HDDVD doesn't require the entirely new manufacturing process that Blu-Ray does
  • People don't necessarily buy a PS3 (or Xbox with addons) to play DVDs - I know I didn't by the addon - I have two DVD players and use those because they're better.
  • Retail customers don't care about 30gb v 50gb, they want content now and they want it cheap...that's what let VHS win
I hope that whatever happens it's a quick process, PC users may play a key role here as they will care about capacity as will Game manufacturers but I think the movie industry will be the kingpins, and that is what will swing the balance if anything does. Fingers crossed.