Sony's racist Advertisement?

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is one of the latest Sony PSP ads that I located here, "Ad critic: Sony's racially charged PSP ad" The ad is too show that the PSP is going to be released in the color white. The ad seems to have a racial charge too it, but its debatable over whether or not it is.

Here's a quote from Joystiq- "Sony has come to the defense of the controversial ads, telling Gamesindustry.biz, "All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs , and have no other message or purpose." "

Joystiq also posted this- "We've decided to run Ad critic early this week after this one landed on our doorsteps. The latest in a long line of questionable marketing decisions by Sony, this ad -- gracing the streets of Amsterdam and the Dutch PSP site promotes the upcoming white PSP with the racially charged image of a white woman grabbing a black woman's face. Other images on the website offer additional avenues of interpretation. "

I have attached four pictures taken from Joystiq.

Attachments

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Of course there is no need to translate the color of a fucking trivial product into racialized terms. But Sony's advertizing team, like so many others these days, doubtless places considerable value on *shock* imagery, intended to sear these images (and by extension, notions relating to the product) into the minds of potential customers. It's a cynical tactic, which knowingly plays around on the edges of good taste.. but as such, is wholly in keeping with many other advertizing campaigns, which are perfectly happy to court controversy along the lines of "no publicity is bad publicity".

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Timmoh said:
I drink my coffee with lots fo milk cause I'm a racist and dont like black coffee :rolleyes: . This is bullshit, people read way too much into these kinds of things.
But that's the whole point: there is indeed no connection between the color of coffee and skin color; just as there is no connection between the color of PSPs and skin color. And neither would any right-minded person make such a connection. Sony's advertizing campaign, however, is deliberately making such a connection in order to court controversy and/or be 'shocking'. :rolleyes:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Advertising costs too damn' much for anything to be arbitrary. I should know. I have an annual advertising budget of $10K for my company, and I'm the only employee. Anyone who thinks Sony doesn't know they are being racial in a negative way is naive. Very. Sony is not trying to make random decisions with their advertising dollars. And how much more of an impact does this so-called contrast make in a country where blacks are in extreme minority? I dunno. i never lived anyplace like that. But I'd guess a lot more.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
findfirefox said:
This is one of the latest Sony PSP ads that I located here, "Ad critic: Sony's racially charged PSP ad" The ad is too show that the PSP is going to be released in the color white. The ad seems to have a racial charge too it, but its debatable over whether or not it is.

Here's a quote from Joystiq- "Sony has come to the defense of the controversial ads, telling Gamesindustry.biz, "All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs , and have no other message or purpose." "

Joystiq also posted this- "We've decided to run Ad critic early this week after this one landed on our doorsteps. The latest in a long line of questionable marketing decisions by Sony, this ad -- gracing the streets of Amsterdam and the Dutch PSP site promotes the upcoming white PSP with the racially charged image of a white woman grabbing a black woman's face. Other images on the website offer additional avenues of interpretation. "

I have attached four pictures taken from Joystiq.

Racist ?
The "white woman" you refer to seems to be an "Albino" ...

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honestly, I do not see the racial content of this advertisement.
Certainly it is kind of strange, but, from there to racial...I do not know...

At least, it was not the same thing, black man and white woman.
I wonder, why isn't the media portray more white men and black women?

Nesto74

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well if my opinion counts.....is this thing on?..............I would like to say that I didn't get a White/black thing. I got a very Lesbianish wave from the ads.

Okay....I've said it.............gonna go hide now.:biggrin1:

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
alex8 said:
Of course there is no need to translate the color of a fucking trivial product into racialized terms. But Sony's advertizing team, like so many others these days, doubtless places considerable value on *shock* imagery, intended to sear these images (and by extension, notions relating to the product) into the minds of potential customers. It's a cynical tactic, which knowingly plays around on the edges of good taste.. but as such, is wholly in keeping with many other advertizing campaigns, which are perfectly happy to court controversy along the lines of "no publicity is bad publicity".

Benetton, anybody ?!!

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Personally i think these days people read into things to much and almost look for something to complain about. Its only an add so how much harm can it do. It isnt telling anyone to do drugs, drink drive, abuse alcohol, rape, child molest or anything like that..its simply an add and if neither woman (black or white) were offended making it why should anyone else be.

If we want to look for something to complain about..I see 2 attractive women in sexy clothes and heels in sugestive poses but where in the picturese is the actuall PSP, but do we need to call the feminists about explotation or hear them complaining already..No

People need to stop trying to be SO politically correct and see things for what they are instead of always looking for the negative

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
geez.. who gives a crap. Kind of a shitty ad... I'll admit. but racially charged? So many better things to worry about... I don't see how that's racist either. Stupid, yes. Overstated, yes. Racist? :rolleyes:

It's hardly the first time colour has been used as a marketing ploy. Bronxy is right, ad campains cost a fortune so it's hardly likely such a reaction to this ad will come as a surprise to Sony ad execs now is it.

Remember, it's not aimed at the US market but the Netherlands. While racism is racism everywhere, stop to consider for a moment that racial attitudes and stereotypes are not always so polarised and entrenched as they often appear to be in the US. I suspect some here may be seeing it through US eyes and judging it by US standards; which while understandable seems a tad presumptuous.

<devils advocate>
It's a woman grabbing another woman, should their colour be relevant beyond the context of the product? And, if for you it is, then ask who has made it so? Sony or you? Then also ask; were those 'colours' reversed would you think the exact same way and if not, then why not.
</devils advocate>

Watch it get pulled.:rolleyes:

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I wonder what kind of moron thought that would be a great idea.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Definetaly a lesbian touch to it.

HE was just seeing opinion, boys... no reason to think otherwise.

This "shock value" thing the media is doing, has become rather dull IMO. People will become desensitized soon, and then things will get REALLY SHOCKING...!!

Had this ad been:

1 black woman and 1 caucasian woman, and the caucasian woman yanked her pants off and fucked the shit out of the black one with a strap-on, followed by some sort of slogan claiming how superior the New PSP is... I may have paid more attention:tongue: But only because it was two girls getting it on....

*OH WAIT, there is going to be an asian version with the black and white women getting molested by an asian with implants?? I AM SO SHOCKED!!:biggrin1:

pichulon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just took another look at it. I do not see a racial content, other than the obvious race of the participants.

Perhaps a black person is offended at the apparent controling stance the white woman has???

In the end, the black woman seems to subjugate the white woman, so, it is not a statement of superiority, but, just a struggle for control...

The black woman is a beautifull black woman, the white woman is also attractive , a little wild in the hair department , but, there is no subliminal message that I can infer.

Unlike the official manner of portraying black and white couples, where the male is always portrayed as black, the female, white, That bothers me , I find that one situation racial. Why? because we very seldom if ever, see the opposite.

I see nothing wrong, but, in light of the media trend, controversy is what feeds the bank accounts of giant corporations, and they know, there will always be a segment that will see wrong in something they do, they subtlely choose those ones that will leave some area for the imagination.
As in the black man and white woman couples...
( where, my problem is not the black man, but, the inequality of the media , when do we see the opposite ?? is it 235 times to one??)
...the media knows there will be people that will see the situation in another way, and, controversy calls for discussions, arguments, makes the situation "noticable" and it becomes known.
Known......that is what advertisement is all about.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
BronxBombshell said:
And how much more of an impact does this so-called contrast make in a country where blacks are in extreme minority? I dunno. i never lived anyplace like that. But I'd guess a lot more.

There are plenty of people of African descent living in the Netherlands today. Amsterdam is easily among the most ethnically diverse cities I have ever been to, up there with London, New York and the greater Washington area.

Choosing not to see this ad as "racial in a negative way" does not stem in any way from naivety. Of course the particulars of the photo shoot were very deliberate, but there is no negativity and no racism inherent in it. What exactly are you implying? That in any photo where there are two people, one white and one black, it is automatically racist because... why? The white person is clearly superior in some way without there being anything to indicate that they are?? Are you sure you want to make that assertion? Or that somehow when a model's skin color is used to create artistic contrast that's somehow exploitative? (that's going to put a lot of darker-skinned models out of work if ture) In the several different poses here the two models seem to be willingly exchanging power. To me, asserting that this advertisement is racist seems more racist than the advertisement itself. and a big flipping waste of energy.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
You might as well hang it up NIC. People are always screaming about how abused they are around here.

If you suggest maybe they're being a little too sensitive it just proves how racist/misogynistic/homophobic you are as far as they're concerned.