Sotomayor is Obama's Supreme Court Pick

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Like about 99 percent of the folks I know said "who?" myself included.

The only thing I heard about her is that she was raised by a single parent in either the Bronx or Brooklyn. I'm sure that we'll know a LOT more about her over the next week or so, but so far I'm liking where this is going. :wink:

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
from a NY Times article May 14,

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” said Judge Sotomayor, who is now considered to be near the top of President Obama’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees.

and....

This month, for example, a video surfaced of Judge Sotomayor asserting in 2005 that a “court of appeals is where policy is made.” She then immediately adds: “And I know — I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

back to the drawing board

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This month, for example, a video surfaced of Judge Sotomayor asserting in 2005 that a “court of appeals is where policy is made.” She then immediately adds: “And I know — I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

I see it didn't take long for the senseless rhetoric to rear its ugly head. So she had a moment on film when she stuttered...

Oh, the humanity! We should eliminate every single person who had ever stuttered, paused or bumbled words on public television!

But wait... that would mean Bush would have to... oh, nevermind!!!
Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Mike Allen from Politico.com (a savvy political commentator) is Hugh Hewitt's guest today on his conservative talk radio show.

Mike told Hugh that Sonia Sotomayor has been thoroughly vetted. Those two little quotes that Big_E posted are just about the only things that could be construed to stand against her (which are nothing). On some key rulings, she did not vote in ways that conservatives can peg her as a liberal:

Key cases reveal few Sonia Sotomayor clues - Josh Gerstein and Eamon Javers - POLITICO.com

Mike Allen says that behind the scenes, most senators are saying this is a very smart pick (even the senators who may vote against her).

Arlen Spector voted for her the first time around (when he was a republican) and gave indication he will vote for her again.

Spector today:

“I applaud the nomination of Judge Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. Her confirmation would add needed diversity in two ways: the first Hispanic and the third woman to serve on the high court. While her record suggests excellent educational and professional qualifications, now it is up to the Senate to discharge its constitutional duty for a full and fair confirmation process.”

Republican Olympia Snow also voted for Sonia the first time around (when Sotomayor was nominated by the First Bush) and gave indication she will do so again.

Snowe's reaction:

“Indisputably, this is an historic selection, as Sonia Sotomayor is just the third woman to be nominated to The Court and the first Hispanic American. I commend President Obama for nominating a well-qualified woman, as I urged him to do during a one-on-one meeting on a variety of issues in the Oval Office earlier this month."

The reason I am going through some of these repuiblican votes is: It will be next to impossible for republicans to fillibuster this woman if all these supporters stick to their vote.

Independent Joe Lieberman also praised Sotomayor today:

“President Obama made an impressive choice by nominating Judge Sotomayor for the position of associate justice for the Supreme Court. Judge Sotomayor’s career represents the best of the American dream and she possesses distinguished and superior legal credentials. I look forward to the upcoming hearings and I hope that there is a bipartisan effort to ensure a fair confirmation process.”

There are other republican senators who helped get Sotomayor through in 1998 that are still in office : Sens. Robert Bennett (R-Utah), Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), Susan Collins R-Maine), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), and Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) joined a unanimous slate of Dems in pushing Sotomayor through by a vote of 68-28.

--------------------

My gut instinct tells me: if republicans and conservatives go overboard in trying to demonize Sotomayor as a "rabid activist liberal judge" (which is what some talk-radio hosts are doing today), which she certainly is not, then republicans and conservatives will face a backlash. She is "empathetic". She was born poor and sees the world through the eyes of a latina woman born in a housing project in the Bronx.... who graduated with honors at Princeton and Yale. Obama gave us a nominee precisely as he described his "ideal" might be last year. The hispanic voters will be very sensitive to republican tricks and swift-boating of a respected hispanic woman nominee. Republican senators and republican talk-show hosts and republican cable news networks should stick to authentic disagreements and not try to trump up fake controversies like they do with gays. Hispanics are a much larger voting bloc and republicans will pay at the voting booth.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
The Bush Administration Torture Crowd Reacts to Sonia Sotomayor:

John Yoo, who, along with Jay Bybee, wrote those infamous August, 2002 torture memos for the Bush Justice Department (which said that it is NOT torture so long as the interrogations stop just short of "organ failure" and death) weighed in on the Sonia Sotomayor debate.

Yoo was slightly critical of Obama's pick:

"Conservatives should defend the Supreme Court as a place where cases are decided by a faithful application of the Constitution, not personal politics, backgrounds, and feelings. Republican senators will have to conduct thorough questioning in the confirmation hearings to make sure that she will not be a results-oriented voter, voting her emotions and politics rather than the law."

(oh, IRONY! Yoo totally put aside domestic and international "laws" when he and Bybee re-defined torture for Cheney and the CIA interrogators at Guantanamo.)

Surprisingly, Alberto Gonzales found her "well-qualified":

YouTube - Gonzales on Sotomayor

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Day by day, appointment by appointment, program by program and mandate by mandate, Obama is driving the conservative Republican establishment closer and closer to the brink of insanity.

Thank you, Mr. President.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
back to the drawing board indeed

problem is, Obama is still making the selections

WSJ article headline read that the repubs wouldn't be able to block her

for the sake of the nation, for the love of all that is good, and pure, and just, I hope the headline writer is wrong

may the powers help us all, and stop Obama

from a NY Times article May 14,

“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” said Judge Sotomayor, who is now considered to be near the top of President Obama’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees.

and....

back to the drawing board

D

deleted15807

may the powers help us all, and stop Obama

Too late dude :biggrin1: When Bush and Darth Cheney were running the country over the cliff is when you should have screamed stop. But you didn't. The WSJ cheered everything Bush did. If he had spit on the Pope the WSJ would have cheered that too. The big crocodile tears don't match the ones I've cried for years.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The dissenters on this board have no leg to stand on in this.
Sotomayor has plenty of credentials, graduating summa cum laude in Princeton, and was an editor for the Yale Law Journal. She's received honorary degrees from Lehman College, Princeton University, Brooklyn Law School, Pace University School of Law, Hofstra University, and Northeastern University. She was elected a member of the American Philosophical Society in 2002. Not bad for a girl from the hood, raised by a financially struggling single parent from the South Bronx. You know, for all those who seem to think she's not intelligent enough because of where she's from or how she was raised... :rolleyes:

And if that's still not good enough for you, let's us remind you who the previous administration put up for a Supreme Court Candidate... HARRIET MIERS! Enough said. Game over.

But please, go on with the bullshit about how "inadequate" you think Sotomayer is. Just make sure not to call her "Maria" like Mike Huckabee did by accident earlier today. You don't want to appear to be anymore socially insensitive than you are now? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Any attempt to block her will result in the peeling away of whatever minority of Hispanics continue to vote Republican.

It was an inspired choice.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
aha!

admission of a political motivation, over a selection that should have been non-political

Just like how the GOP selected Michael Steele and Bobby Jindal to help create a "new look" for their party? Just like how McCain chose Palin for a running mate to try and appeal to women? Please. Don't even make yourself look more of a hypocrite right now.

Sotomayor's credentials speak for themselves. That comes first and foremost. The fact that she's Hispanic and from the projects of the South Bronx just adds to her persona, and that's is indisputable.

When the current members of the GOP start to place women and minorities in places of power because they mean it, and not as some knee jerk response to appear sensitive to their needs, then we can talk. Until then, make sure Steele is invited to speak at your next Teabagging Party. He IS supposed to be your chairman. :rolleyes:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
says it all:

Sotomayor's credentials speak for themselves. That comes first and foremost. The fact that she's Hispanic and from the projects of the South Bronx just adds to her persona, and that's is indisputable.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally Posted by Nick4444

aha!

admission of a political motivation, over a selection that should have been non-political

Thanks, VB, for quoting this before Nick had a change of heart and deleted it.

Beyond the incredibly disingenuous nature of the post in light of Steele and Palin (as mentioned above), there's another thing about it that strikes me as an odd disconnect suffered by all-too-many Republicans, and that's the nature of political appointments.

OF COURSE they are political, how could a political appointment be anything else? It's a game both parties play, and have played since the 80s when Reagan appointed Sandra Day O'Connor.