Sotomayor is Obama's Supreme Court Pick

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
VB: I think you've uncovered something. Facequeen's kith and kin are never single births, they pop out in litters. This explains a great deal, such as the tilted reasoning and susceptibility for hip problems. It's a wonder he didn't succumb to parvo virus before entering kindergarten.

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think the paucity of contributions by Thomas since his appointment shows that the opponents had it right. He was unprepared and lacked the talent for SCOTUS. I think the Hill allegations were probably true, but really a side issue of character. (We have had creeps before on the bench, he was not the first.) Fundamentally, he was a poor choice and his non-performance has demonstrated it.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I have on the ABC Evening News w/ Charlie Gibson.

A story on Sotomayor. Rush Limbaugh is shown in clips from his radio show: Rush calls Sotomayor an "angry woman", a "racist", a "bigot", a "radical pick", "the antithesis of a judge".

When you have a solid (yes, liberal-leaning) pick like Sotomayor, graduating at the top of her class from Princeton and Yale Law -- when there's no evidence of activism, except for 2 quotes taken out of context -- how can Rush spew so much garbage and hatred? Doesn't he realize unjustly demonizing this woman will turn every hispanic person who hears him against conservatives?

For the record -- in that 2002 speech, Sonia Sotomayor said that being a latina woman informs everything about her. It informs what she eats, what she wears.... even subconsciously.... it's cultural conditioning. And the point she made was: she tries every day to overcome this conditioning. To remain impartial. To see beyond the conditioning of an hispanic woman.

The right-wing completely left out the whole frigging POINT of her speech - and yanked a couple lines out of contwxt to misrepresent her theme.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I have on the ABC Evening News w/ Charlie Gibson.

A story on Sotomayor. Rush Limbaugh is shown in clips from his radio show: Rush calls Sotomayor an "angry woman", a "racist", a "bigot", a "radical pick", "the antithesis of a judge".

When you have a solid (yes, liberal-leaning) pick like Sotomayor, graduating at the top of her class from Princeton and Yale Law -- when there's no evidence of activism, except for 2 quotes taken out of context -- how can Rush spew so much garbage and hatred? Doesn't he realize unjustly demonizing this woman will turn every hispanic person who hears him against conservatives?....

How? Because radio "personalities" like Limbaugh, Walter and Johnson, and the like are demagogues who spew hate based half truths, lies, and distorted realities based on their twisted logic and far right-winged agendas.

They also apparently have a (still) large enough audience of devoted listeners who thrive on such bullshit, and who believe every word that they say.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
From Peggy Noonan (one of Ronald Reagan's speechwriters)

"Break her and you die":

She is of course a brilliant political pick—Hispanic when Republicans have trouble with Hispanics, a woman when they've had trouble with women. Her background (public housing, Newyorican, Catholic school, Princeton, prominence) is as moving as Clarence Thomas's, and that is moving indeed. Politically she's like a beautiful doll containing a canister of poison gas: Break her and you die.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
From Peggy Noonan (one of Ronald Reagan's speechwriters)

"Break her and you die":

She is of course a brilliant political pick—Hispanic when Republicans have trouble with Hispanics, a woman when they've had trouble with women. Her background (public housing, Newyorican, Catholic school, Princeton, prominence) is as moving as Clarence Thomas's, and that is moving indeed. Politically she's like a beautiful doll containing a canister of poison gas: Break her and you die.

Well, as I can recall, they didn't exactly endear themselves to the Hispanic vote in the last election anyway, considering their campaign workers in some parts of the Southwest threatened legal U.S. citizens of Hispanic descent with deportation, among other such tactics.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ya'll can go apeshit on some racism card, but I know my own soul...

In any case,... Sotomayor... love how 'New York Jew' she sounds till she rolls out her own last name. Is that posterity, or ...not sure. I think of my college roommates mom... East LA Latina... then listen to Sotomayor... and the last thing I think of is Latina. I think hard-ass New Yorker. But whatever. I recall Dems saying Colin and Condy were "whitewashed"... and not 'true'... whatever and however.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

In any case,... Sotomayor... love how 'New York Jew' she sounds till she rolls out her own last name. Is that posterity, or ...not sure. I think of my college roommates mom... East LA Latina... then listen to Sotomayor... and the last thing I think of is Latina. I think hard-ass New Yorker. But whatever. I recall Dems saying Colin and Condy were "whitewashed"... and not 'true'... whatever and however.
It's because when she is talking she is speaking English, when she says her last name she is speaking Spanish and pronounces it accordingly. Do you have a problem with that?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's because when she is talking she is speaking English, when she says her last name she is speaking Spanish and pronounces it accordingly. Do you have a problem with that?

Apparently he does. I think it comes as a shock to Facequeen that some people can come from "the ghetto" and still sound cultured. Perhaps if he knew how to treat people with respect, even a person from the 'hood would talk to him that way.

But with posts like his, it's no wonder why nobody would waste their breath.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'll agree with Industrialsize on this one. It's just the proper pronunciation. For example, I have a friend whose last name is "Kovacs." The Anglicized pronunciation is "Ko-vaks," whereas the proper Hungarian pronunciation my friend uses is "Ko-vahch." Sticking with the native pronunciation of one's last name is nothing to criticize. Spanish just happens to have rolled r's which is something English lacks.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
VB: I think you've uncovered something. Facequeen's kith and kin are never single births, they pop out in litters. This explains a great deal, such as the tilted reasoning and susceptibility for hip problems. It's a wonder he didn't succumb to parvo virus before entering kindergarten.

your mom.

/sophomore class redux.

[edit: pithy jackass]

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll agree with Industrialsize on this one. It's just the proper pronunciation. For example, I have a friend whose last name is "Kovacs." The Anglicized pronunciation is "Ko-vaks," whereas the proper Hungarian pronunciation my friend uses is "Ko-vahch." Sticking with the native pronunciation of one's last name is nothing to criticize. Spanish just happens to have rolled r's which is something English lacks.

Bullshit, we are NOT in Hungary.... it reminds of east coast dipshits that love to pronounce every Eastern European capital in the native tongue.... yet pronounce Mexico with the "x". Turn on Telemundo... when they say Neuvo York.... last I checked, the native pronunciation was New York.

There actually is an English/American pronunciation for foreign places... so save the petty dinner party linguistics....is what I say.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Eh, there's a pick and choice of when to roll out pronunciation. To me, it reeks of placation, a la street cred. Curious if she says Mejico or Mexico.....

and if she's true to pronunciation... does she say Budapesht or Budapest... does she say Japan or Nippon... or FrAnce or Fraaance.... etc...

Since she pronounces things "accordingly".

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bullshit, we are NOT in Hungary.... it reminds of east coast dipshits that love to pronounce every Eastern European capital in the native tongue.... yet pronounce Mexico with the "x". Turn on Telemundo... when they say Neuvo York.... last I checked, the native pronunciation was New York.

There actually is an English/American pronunciation for foreign places... so save the petty dinner party linguistics....is what I say.

I'd argue that there's a difference between human names and location names when it comes to pronunciation that is left entirely up to the person whose name it is. If someone just so happens to use the pronunciation from the country where the name originated, it is their decision and people should do their best to pronounce it as such.

Another example, the basketball coach at Duke (I think) is Mike Krzyzewski. He and everyone else pronounces it the Polish way: Shə-shev-ski. If we were to attempt to anglicize it, it would be something along the lines of Kur-zi-zew-ski.

The way one pronounces one's own last name is not grounds to attack them as attempting to appear more of a certain group within the larger US population.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think the paucity of contributions by Thomas since his appointment shows that the opponents had it right. He was unprepared and lacked the talent for SCOTUS. I think the Hill allegations were probably true, but really a side issue of character. (We have had creeps before on the bench, he was not the first.) Fundamentally, he was a poor choice and his non-performance has demonstrated it.

yes

it will be "interesting" if Sotomayor is sworn in, what sort of decisions we will see coming from these two, given the possible synergy of their perspectives

on the other hand, Warren ended up being a big surprise to Eisenhower, so one really doesn't know -- we may just be pleasantly surprised by Sotomayor

one can always hope

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
And to think I was just on the verge of respecting (if not exactly agreeing with) Pat Buchanan.

Race, race, race, race. Race-based justice. White male discrimination, white male discrimination. "Jim Crow liberalism"....

YouTube - Race-Baiting Justice: Buchanan's War Against Judge Sotomayor

--------------------

For rationality, read Sam Stein on Huffington Post:

Sotomayor's Defense Of White Racist Speech Looms Large In Confirmation Battle

He writes,

"Those intimately involved in the case say that Sotomayor's dissent -- in which she defended the First Amendment rights of an employee who had distributed white supremacist material -- shows a type of jurisprudence diametrically at odds with the caricature painted by her conservative critics."

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Will --

I am surprised at how consistently Sotomayor is misquoted in the now infamous 'wise latina' quote. The second half shows that she was really talking about suppressing personal beliefs.

This is really pure partisanship, Sessions et al would have objected to John Marshall, if nominated by Obama.

As for Buchanan, his remarks sound better in the original German. I think we have seen the furnace door on his over-heated mind swing open, and the burning cords of hatred.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'd argue that there's a difference between human names and location names when it comes to pronunciation that is left entirely up to the person whose name it is. If someone just so happens to use the pronunciation from the country where the name originated, it is their decision and people should do their best to pronounce it as such.

Another example, the basketball coach at Duke (I think) is Mike Krzyzewski. He and everyone else pronounces it the Polish way: Shə-shev-ski. If we were to attempt to anglicize it, it would be something along the lines of Kur-zi-zew-ski.

The way one pronounces one's own last name is not grounds to attack them as attempting to appear more of a certain group within the larger US population.

Well, maybe it is. Maybe the Senate can also grill her on her diction and phonetics... on why she might say "Meh-he-co" instead of "Mex-i=co". :rolleyes:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, maybe it is. Maybe the Senate can also grill her on her diction and phonetics... on why she might say "Meh-he-co" instead of "Mex-i=co". :rolleyes:

Hey, the opposition is trying just about everything else:biggrin1:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
actually Sotomayor stated, or implied two different things, then, in that speech

one, the position of a Leninist activist (as suggested by her Alito in the quote below), and two, the position of the Constitutionalist

since you cannot be both at the same time, which position was she lying about?

Activist? Constitutionalist?

her decision in the union case puts her squarely in the Leninist camp

actions speak louder than words, no?

Then the quotes of alito and scalia and President bush in this article say it all as well.....or does it only count when Sotomayor says something

Scalia, Alito Quotes Blunt Conservative Attacks On Sotomayor

Scalia:Not only do state-court judges possess the power to "make" common law, but they have the immense power to shape the States' constitutions as well.
In fact, however, the judges of inferior courts often "make law," since the precedent of the highest court does not cover every situation, and not every case is reviewed.

Alito:
When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account.