Sotomayor the Piñata

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the whole tenor is funny

the smile on her face, the presentation and offering of her by Obama, Obama's smile

the cameras

the slightly bewildered look on the Repubs' faces

the characterization of the process as strikes against her by the blunt objects held by the Repubs

it's almost as if the Dems are pulling one over on the Repubs, given the differing facial expressions (notice that the cameras are all focused on the Repubs)

just the taking the process out of its context, and putting it into this context -- unexpected, cute, charming, and funny

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
1 the whole tenor is funny

2 the smile on her face, the presentation and offering of her by Obama, Obama's smile

3 the cameras

4 the slightly bewildered look on the Repubs' faces

5 the characterization of the process as strikes against her by the blunt objects held by the Repubs

6 just the taking the process out of its context, and putting it into this context -- unexpected, cute, charming, and funny

By far the funniest thing about all this is that points one through six could be describing you.

I interpret it to mean Obama is daring the Republicans to go after her with all the media watching because it will make the Republicans look racist if they do. He seems to be smugly saying, "I dare you to ruin your reputation with Latinos [the largest ethnic minority in the GOP] even more."

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It shows Obama, wearing that hat - is pandering to the latino community and standing between Sotomayor and the repubs.

Sotomayor is laughing at and taunting the repubs because they can't get past Obama.

Repubs are vilified as violent gunmen.

Lastly, the liberal media (similar to paparazzi) are there in droves ready to report.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It shows Obama, wearing that hat - is pandering to the latino community and standing between Sotomayor and the repubs.

Sotomayor is laughing at and taunting the repubs because they can't get past Obama.

Repubs are vilified as violent gunmen.

Lastly, the liberal media (similar to paparazzi) are there in droves ready to report.

Well, nobody told Newty and Limbaugh to say that she was a "reverse racist" now did they? Nobody told them to complain about how she pronounces her surname, did they? Nobody told Tom Delay to call LULAC an organization of radical leftists either. Need I go on?

Perhaps if the GOP had a real reason to criticize Sotomayor that didn't make them look like bitter white men people would listen. Besides, 98% of the people who have been elected to serve on the Supreme Court since 1789 are either male or caucasion. What could any of her so-called biases do to change nearly 200+ years of similar beliefs? Besides, the silence is STILL deafening from any dissenter about how Sotomayor was considered by Bush just a few years ago. List of Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what happens when you have voices of the extremity speaking louder than the more sensible ones who could create a valid critique that doesn't try to drag a person's character through the mud. Remember those words I said a few weeks back? DAMAGE CONTROL? Seems as if the GOP still don't know what that means. Good luck in 2012, guys... :rolleyes:

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Wow the Republican party is so fucked. From Limbaugh publicly calling for Obama's (and our economy's) failure, to O'Reilly instigating terrorists acts with his hate speech, to this.

It's all starting to unravel, and the Kool Aid drinkers are still completely blind to it. Let them stay blind, don't bother arguing the star and his ilk. Let them think they are right all the way through their journey to the radical fringe.

Let them continue to say this is all just crap from the liberal fringe, not realizing as of 11/08, that 'liberal fringe' is now the vast majority of Americans.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
As usual, VinylBoy does a better job of expressing my feelings, especially on this topic. I can't remember exactly when I heard La Raza and the name Aztlan being used disparagingly when referring to Hispanics, specifically those with ancestral roots in Central America, México, and the South Western United States. But it was during the last election campaign and it was an immediate indication that the same ignorant tribal white men of the GOP were trying to make bombastic claims that La Raza and Aztlan were code words for Spanish-speaking "terrorist/communist" organizations. Those Republicans (Faux Not News) were not only simply misinformed, but purposefully cruel and intent upon disseminating blatant lies about things they knew nothing about. Again, it was just more of the same "white" GOP extremist machine pulling at any thread or straw it could to confuse and misinform.

I caught a bit of CNN Español where the newscasters were laughing about some Senator or Congressman recently criticizing Judge Sotomayor for the way she pronounced her name and therefore a "traitor" to her ethnic roots. The newscasters had a pretty good time laughing hysterically about how Spanish surnames have historically been Anglocized with little or no respect for the individual; for example, pronouncing the silent H in Hernandez and native English speakers saying Cordóba instead of Córdoba. Anyway, they joked that Anglos rarely (as in almost never) attempt to pronounce Spanish or Basque surnames correctly and basically what monolingual twits most Anglos tend to be because -- well, let's face it, if you only know one language you are a victim of you own ignorance. Sad and all too true.

As for the cartoon Hazelgod posted, it's just more of the same gabacho humor. And typically, the gabacho who created the political cartoon was mixing Hispanic cultures. As mjcp noted, it's not only slightly racist but piñatas are a serious Méxican folk tradition. Although piñatas are not unknown in Puerto Rico, they are not a common folk custom or tradition of that Caribbean country (or US protectorate). Average 'Mericuhn (with an emphasis on the "cuhn") understanding of Hispano American cultures is so limited that we tend to just take it in stride ("we" being myself and anyone else who speaks even a modicum of Spanish.) We've lived with it for centuries and expect nothing better of the "English Only" set. In fact, we expect and are rarely disappointed in seeing, hearing, and being treated worse. The cartoon displays so many different levels of ignorance it's not worth bothering with.

Last edited:

The only way Americans know how to pronounce Cordoba is the way they were taught to by the mas macho Ricardo Montalban hawking Chrysler's car of the same name. Don't blame us. He sounded like he knew how to pronounce it properly what with the, "rich Corinthian leather," and all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Let them continue to say this is all just crap from the liberal fringe, not realizing as of 11/08, that 'liberal fringe' is now the vast majority of Americans.

I am just curious how you categorize the vast majority of americans as being "liberal" without even the fringe, when clearly, all measure is that america, still, at its heart tends to be a center, center-slightly right nation? Moderates and independents and centrists swung the election to a President who won 53% of the vote roughly.

how does that constitute a "vast majority"?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The only way Americans know how to pronounce Cordoba is the way they were taught to by the mas macho Ricardo Montalban hawking Chrysler's car of the same name. Don't blame us. He sounded like he knew how to pronounce it properly what with the, "rich Corinthian leather," and all.

Trust me, Jason, Montalban most likely popped a porcelain veneer every time he was "corrected" by the advertising company who shot those commercials, as well as Chrysler Corp., who insisted he mispronounce Córdoba. He certainly knew better. Long before there was ever such a crappy automobile by that name I can verify from personal experience hearing 'Mericuhns exclusively say Cordóba, unless they had just returned from a vacation in Spain during which they had visited that city.

You're a bright guy. But the racism that is perpetuated towards Hispano Americans in the West, Texas, and South West (New Mexico/Arizona) is so entrenched among whites that Latinos rarely expect non-Hispanics to have a clue. In most instances we've learned to let the racial slurs slide because English-only whites really do not know how offensive they are. Heard anyone in your neck of the woods referred to as a "beaner" lately? It's a common every day occurrence in Nevada, California, Ewetaw, Arizona, and to a great extent New Mexico. Our only recourse against such racism has been to proliferate the term "gabacho" which isn't necessarily racist or offensive. It's simply a term common among Hispanics from the west and south western USA to denote among ourselves an Anglo (or even someone whose family originated from "south of the border" with a Hispanic surname and who doesn't speak Spanish. And all this time you thought the word was "gringo," right? Wrong. From about México City D.F. north into the USA "gringo" is a relatively racist term directed at Anglos, regardless of origen. And it becomes even more racist when used by Hispano Americans who are citizens of the USA and live in California, Phoenix, New México, etc.

I remember back in the 1970's when it became politically incorrect and racist to tell "Polack" jokes, although that particular oral tradition is still alive and well among members of Polish American communities. But Hispanics, and especially Méxicans Americans, will most likely never achieve the same respect as Polish Americans.

My favorite foot-in-mouth example of how dull English-only speakers can be was one afternoon at Golds Gym in Tempe, Arizona. I had been talking with a husband and wife who had the same workout schedule as me when a well-intentioned gym rat next to us asked, "What part of México are you folks from?" My friends looked at each other with a bit of alarm, then said, "We're Cuban." I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "I'm frum 'Mericuhn Fark, Ewetaw." We didn't mean to make the otherwise friendly gym rat feel bad, but hey, it gets more than a little tiresome to deal with the same ingorant questions from people who, because of their lack of education, make themselves sound like bigots or racists.

This doesn't mean I still don't love you madly. :smile:

Last edited:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
But Hispanics, and especially Méxicans Americans, will most likely never achieve the same respect as Polish Americans.

It's an understandable view, but I think that's a bit too pessimistic, mlb.

The sheer numbers of hispanics are going to command respect once they really start voting and throwing their growing economic clout around.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
too much is being made of the pronunciation

each language has a set of sounds and intonations; to deviate from that set to utter a word or name from another is unnatural

hence, if you're speaking an English sentence, then interject a word from a different language and retain that other language's sounds and intonations, it will sound unnatural

that's all there is to that

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
too much is being made of the pronunciation

each language has a set of sounds and intonations; to deviate from that set to utter a word or name from another is unnatural

hence, if you're speaking an English sentence, then interject a word from a different language and retain that other language's sounds and intonations, it will sound unnatural

that's all there is to that

Yeah, because everyone knows that pronouncing "rendez-vous" as "RON-day voo" is just too much work and effort, right?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah, because everyone knows that pronouncing "rendez-vous" as "RON-day voo" is just too much work and effort, right?

LMAO! (which stands for Louisiana Merchants Association Overseas, right?).

I'll submit I'm being a bit huffy regarding non-Spanish speakers mispronouncing Spanish words and especially family surnames. However, Bbucko has once again nailed it.

Granted, there are hundreds of cognates shared by English and French and English and Spanish. There are also hundreds of cognates shared between Spanish and French. After all, the etymology of the word damage is enough to make one wonder "What the fuck happened?" when it slowly creeped into English from French. And by pure accident most 'Mericuhns more correctly pronounce the word garage compared to the original French than folks from the U.K. Most folks in the U.K. use two different forms of the vowel a, whereas 'Mericuhns more frequently pronounce the word with two equally short a vowel sounds.

Of course, historically there has been a much closer alliance between French and English. Just look inside your 'Mericuhn passport to see which language is still considered the lingua franca when entering a country where English is presumed not to be understood. But most 'Mericuhns often take great care to enunciate what I refer to as "toy French" and love to sprinkle it in their speech or writing whenever possible. Mind you, they more often than not do not speak French, but have somehow come to the conclusion that it's spiffy to include little bon mots in their discourse. Déclassé anyone? Au courant? Déshabillé, je ne sais quoi? raison de'être, savoir-faire, soigné,joie de vivre, sang froid or the one expression that really makes me grit my teeth le mot juste?

Unless you're Canadian, there's little or no reason for a native speaker of English to use "toy French." English, all on its own, has long ago appropriated a word or expression that means the same thing as all of those cute little toy French words and expressions. But more important (and most amusing) of all is when someone misuses or mispronounces toy French, more often than not (especially in the USA) other native speakers of English who don't speak French are more than ready to jump all over a person's shit for making such a greivous faux pas. Quelle horreur!

For those of you who speak and read Spanish -- or, more correctly -- castellano, you know that the default secondary language for "toy" expressions is Latin. But Latin is also the root language of castellano and all of it's dialects. Therefore, there is an honest linguistic reason for digging up an original Latin word or expression and employing it in written or spoken Spanish. However, in the USA it's a rare thing when a writer or speaker uses a Spanish word or expression to emphasize a point or present themselves as worldly and by extension somehow better educated.

Only once in all my 59 years has anyone or group jumped all over me because I mispronounced a non English word, and it was a hispanicized word at that. One day during a business meeting in Tucson I lazily mispronounced saguaro (the giant cacti often with limbs that look like arms that are native to the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts). I pronounced it as it would appear the way it's spelled: sa-guar-o. I knew better, but since it's the State flower of Arizona my colleagues -- almost in unison -- screamed at me that saguaro is pronounced saw-wah-ro! My only comfort was that I, among all of my incensenced colleagues who lived in Tucscon, knew that even saw-wah-ro was a bastardization of the original name for the cactus from the aboriginal Tohono O'odham language almost wiped out by the white settlers who invaded and took up residence in that part of the USA.

Nick666 likes to brag how homogeneous and non racist San Antonio is. Well, he obviously does not speak Spanish. For anyone who has seen an episode of the animated cartoon King of the Hill, the creators of that program have a field day making fun of Texans trying to be politically correct when having to pronounce Spanish names for places and things. My favorite is whenever Peg, the well-intentioned wife and substitute teacher, announces she will make her famous and "authentic" gwhackamolé (guacacmole). It brings tears to my eyes.

Unlike the somewhat blatant and obvious racism blacks still endure in this great country (The USA), Hispano Americans and Latinos, in general, tend to suffer like patient mules the conscious and unconscious racism directed at us. Most of you gueros and gabachos mean well, but trust me when I gently call you out for not having a fucking clue.

Like the project manager of a software company where I used to work would cheerily say to me each night when we left the office for home, "Penis noches!" Poor woman. She still has no idea how offensive her "innocent" attempt at friendly humor was. However, it was and still is so offensively racist that one day a Mexican American sales executive who worked at that same company one day keyed her new Lexus, motivated simply by pure frustration that the bitch should have known better. :smile:

For those who take offense at my use of the word bitch, you sort of understand what I'm complaining bout -- just square the offensive remark "bitch" by a power of 4 and you'll have a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

Last edited: