Sound Off!!!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK, May 18, 2008.

1. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

So, who here has done their own sound card installation? Is it that difficult?

As always, any input is welcome.

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

You'll need to be more specific, bud. Everything should just plug and play these days. I used to DIY in the days when it was cheaper than calling Dell, but it hasn't been so for quite sometime.

When you say installation do you mean the physical plugging it in (piece of piss) or the software installation - the basics on the latter are easy but if you want certain codecs to do certain specific things and work with certain software then I don't think I'd be much use to you.

Even a diva pig knows her limitations... sometimes :wink:

3. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    yeah I would like to know too. My laptop got zapped my lightning last summer and it fried my soundcard and ethernet port. I went and had it checked out, but found out that my sound card was on my motherboard, and I might as well buy a new laptop. He said I could go out and buy an external soundcard, but I have had no luck in that, so can I buy an internal sound card and install it myself?

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Well! Trust my favorite porkchop princess to be blunt. Ah, iwouldn't have it any other way.
    I mean I have to replace the portal in the back of my pc that controls sound to the speakers. I've been told that it's easy enough to take the back off, pull the existing one out and then put the other one in. But I thought I'd get other peoples opinion forehand

5. JrodMaclane

JrodMaclane New Member

turn off comp, remove case, plug sound card into pci port, fasten it with a screw, re-install the case, turn on computer.

windows will detect sound card, dont let it install it.

use ur sound card cd/dvd rom to install the drivers.

it will say system needs to reboot....

if u get stuck i can make u a step by step in detail install with pics

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

For a laptop? No - basically. Laptops are very small and the space inside them is hyper-efficiently used. If your machine had an onboard sound card then there is going to be no place to put an internal sound card - even if you can find one that is compatible, which I doubt you will. Not to mention that working with the insides of laptops is so much more fiddley than desktops. Nah - if you can't get a PCMCIA card (like this, for example) to work then you are looking at a new laptop.

Absolutely no hassle to you, Chuck old pal. With the PC powered off and unplugged from the mains, the case clips open (you might want to ground yourself before you reach into the workings) - you will be able to identify which card it is because the sockets on the back plate will be the ones you plug you speakers and mic into. There is a screw holding the back plate to the case, undo it and put it somewhere you won't lose it. Pull the fucked card directly upwards to remove it from the socket. Play frisby with it. Get the new card - do not play frisby with it :smile:. Line the card up with the slot, push down evenly - do not force it, if it isn't going in it is not correctly aligned - you may need to use a firm hard, but never force it. Ensure it is fully pushed in to the slot. Find the screw you took out of the back plate and use it to fasten this one. Close up the case. Plug in and boot. Follow the instructions in the MANUFACTURER'S BOOKLET that comes with the card. Do not just randomly click shit on the screen in the install process - read the manual BEFORE you start and have it beside you while you are doing this. They don't provide these things as emergency toilet paper. :wink:

G'luck!

7. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Open it up and look where the other sound card is,,,take out the old one and put the new one in the same place as the old one.

Its pretty easy.

If you have onboard sound you need to disable it in the BIOS. Basically just get a PCI sound card and put it in a spare PCI slot.

Just make sure you unplug everything from the PC before you open it up and try not to drop screws inside the PC. You can take out the existing PCI cards to see how they work and get a feel for it.

As for the laptop...they sell USB soundcards but I don't know how good they are.

PC USB 3D 5.1CH Audio Sound Card Adapter 4 MSN SKYPE UK on eBay, also External Cards, Sound Cards, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 18-May-08 21:48:29 BST)

Draft saved Draft deleted