South of Broad

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Boy, no one can write like Pat Conway as far as I am concerned. Great Story. Interesting Insights. Anyone else read this tome?
I read it recently. A friend of mine got a signed, first edition copy of it for my birthday last year and just got to give it to me two weeks ago. Nobody can make me homesick like Pat Conroy. He explains life in this area better than I ever could.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read it when it first came out. I love Pat Conroy's writing. I love South of Broad, Prince of Tides, Beach Music, The Great Santini, The Water is Wide and the Lords of Discipline. He is one of my favorite American writers. If you like Pat Conroy you might also like Anne Rivers Siddons who has a bit more Southern Gothic in her style but is absolutely lip smacking as well.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I just read it for the second time and enjoyed it all over again. I love Pat Conroy. His writing is often reviewed as "overwrought" and "florid", but he's evocative about the South in a way that only a native who loves his home can be and his characters are beautiful and fully developed. I particularly appreciate his observations on relationships and the effects life has on people as they move through it.

While I don't think South of Broad is his best, it's a wonderful read. The biggest problem I have with Conroy is the amount of time between his novels.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read it recently. A friend of mine got a signed, first edition copy of it for my birthday last year and just got to give it to me two weeks ago. Nobody can make me homesick like Pat Conroy. He explains life in this area better than I ever could.

Have you ever read any of Anne Rivers Siddons' books?

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Thanks Naughty, I'll have to check A. R Siddons out. Looks like she has written quite a number of books. Beach Music was the first Conway Book I ever read and it remains one of my favorites.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Have you ever read any of Anne Rivers Siddons' books?
No, I haven't. Dottie Frank, another of our local writers, speaks glowingly of her, but I've not gotten around to reading her yet. The dust jackets of her books tend to look like Harlequin romances, and that puts me off a bit.

I highly recommend Dot's books. She writes under the name of Dorothea Benton Frank. Plantation is my favorite of hers, but they're all pretty good for light reading.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I haven't. Dottie Frank, another of our local writers, speaks glowingly of her, but I've not gotten around to reading her yet. The dust jackets of her books tend to look like Harlequin romances, and that puts me off a bit.

I highly recommend Dot's books. She writes under the name of Dorothea Benton Frank. Plantation is my favorite of hers, but they're all pretty good for light reading.

Yes I have read her books as well. If you like her. YOu will LOVE Anne.