South Park jokes and Monty Python jokes

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thank you Mr. Geist, whomever you are. Your introductory thread got people doing splendid in-jokes by the score. We like that on LPSG.

First it was the Knights Who Say NI from Monty Python & the Holy Grail (which led, inevitably into the now well-embalmed Dead Parrot Sketch, quoted by even that most prominent Republican, the admirable Mr. Pecker). Then it moved on to Chef from South Park (to prove my nerd credentials, voiced by the incomparable Isaaac Hayes). The splendid nerds of the LPSG were able to shift in-joke references without missing a beat.

This got me thinking for a bit. Then I thought some more, because I'm in the UK at the moment, on a biz trip, and caught up with a young high-school student (J) whom I used to tutor when I was at college. (and we've just been out to have a drink, so I'm renting a large amout of beer right now)

In the late seventies, I was 19 and had a drivers' license and a push-button-automatic Valiant (hey, cool, or what?) and she was 16 and innocent, and (unbeknownst to me) pregnant with her first child, the result of a prom date. No wonder she was failing Modern European History.

We sat in her parents' living room both pretending to work on Modern European History, without much dedication on either part. A baby boy in your stomach and the unification of Italy and Germany? Hell, it would give me morning sickness, too.

In dull moments, she would quote MP&THG to me, and I would reply with something like "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!", only to find her blank-faced.

"Before your time", I coughed, as I sipped her mother's weak coffee and we rifled her stepfather's liquor cabinet. Barely before her time, though...only 2-3 years.

Fast forward to 2005. J is 44 and lives in Surrey, and I'm 47. She's a divorcee with five kids (tubes tied at 33--how long did it take everyone to figure out that SHE'S VERY FERTILE?) and I'm in a monogamous relationship with my male partner (came out at 34, how long did it take everyone to figure out HE'S GAY?)

We drag our aged-and-saggy asses down to Old Compton Street for a sentimental drink or twelve, and end up tipsy in some gay club near where Old Compton turns into Brewer Street, near Prowler. (Couldn't interest J in a dildo from the Blue Room, alas).

Great evening--we even did a bit of celebrity spotting. Ewan McGregor seems to eat at the Taro Japanese Restaurant around the corner from the Piccadilly when he's not being Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls. Baggy pants, so no detectable bulge, for all those who follow his thread in Celebrity Endowments.

As we sip our old-persons' end-of-the-night drinks, we're approached by a trio of young fags. Two are svelte and on the make. One is a bear in the making. They remark how nice to see a middle-aged straight couple out in London's Vaseline Valley.

We tell them it's oldfriendsville, and the two younger fags lose interest and head out on the dance floor to unleash their animal magnetism. The tubby guy moans that he's not cut out for the Soho meat market. "Inside this fat person" he jokes, "there's a thin person wanting to break out!'

"Just the one, dear" asks J?

In spite of the fact that Yours Truly is sitting next to him and is no stick figure, our junior bear takes mild offence. J and I both blurt out that he sould know this to be, in fact, one of the most famous lines from Absolutely Fabulous.

I mean, fer chrissakes, we're in the Castro of England, and we have to explain goddamn AbFab jokes? Fuck you, he explained, he's only 18. AbFab is the comedy equivalent of Roman ruins.

Which brings me around to my drunkenly-typed point.

In everyone's life there is only a small wondow of comic nerdiness, and you'd better embrace yours while it flashes before your eyes.

Wodja think, everyone?

Yours with utmost alcohol-induced sincerity, head collapsing on the keyboard,

Headba'/dfsogjn'poafjf'lmb'lk 'kfdnn'dgjkn'alkn ;oxih;kh;lljasdlkdmd;lkafj;lkn;qh;foajnoirnliorhshuhfHrlaihr;iohpanwnrpwiypnoix/:IehLIOHlIHpoaiwasp...ng8.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Rick: "Neil, is it really necessary to have the light on when you're in the bath?"
Neil: "Well, yeah."
Rick: "Why, what are you planning to do - photosynthesize?"

Reactions: headbang8

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by Pecker@Jun 5 2005, 10:39 AM
Rick: "Neil, is it really necessary to have the light on when you're in the bath?"
Neil: "Well, yeah."
Rick: "Why, what are you planning to do - photosynthesize?"
[post=317922]Quoted post[/post]​
Ah, The Young Ones! You obviously had a larger window than most of us!

Supportive Female

Just Browsing
Media
If sight gags count: AbFab's Patsy and Eddie passing out in a garbage-strewn back alley after a ceremonial dinner, only to wake up on the same trash bags the next morning; the camera pulls back, and they're still on top of the rubbish...but it's floating down the river on a barge.

Talk about taking out the trash!

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Imust be special then... I know all sorts:

"No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition! With our main weapon: Suprise! Suprise and Fear! Our TWO main weapons..."

"Whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

"Oh my GOD! She inhaled the room!"

Etc :p

Max

Sexy Member
Media
Vicky Pollard, the Bristolian delinquent in 'Little Britain'.

Yeh but no but yeh but no

Not sure how well she'd travel across the Atlantic, though.

Vicky Pollard

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by SomeGuyOverThere@Jun 6 2005, 07:56 AM
"Whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"
[post=318150]Quoted post[/post]​
You might find that's an in-joke from The Goon Show, first aired on the BBC in the 1950's. The spiritual father of Monty Python, its creators acknowledge.

Needless to say, I wasn't around 50 years ago to listen. But I heard the Goons in repeats on Australian public radio--still played to this day. Gave me a taste for jazz harmonica, BTW.

Maybe the new Peter Sellers biopic will rekindle interest.

Of course, SGOT, since you're a Brit, you know this.

hb8

PS Goon nerd trivia question--over the weekend, I passed through the East Finchley tube station on the northern line. If I had stopped, might I have run into?

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Fawlty Towers, To the Manor Born, Vicar of Dibley, Good Neighbors, Bless Me Father...."

Any one of them better than the 97% of the crap that passes for comedy TV today. At least here in the states.

And then there's reality TV.....don't get me started....

x(