Southern States

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
From? Well, originally, Texas.

Home? Currently Virginia by way of New York State.

Which one belongs in your survey?

Pecker

(How do Arkansans spell 'farm'? EIEIO)

randy58: I can't vote. The state I'm originally from and the state I currently reside in don't seem to be listed. Pity! ???

hung: Next we will have to be able to sing the state song of where we claim to be living. I agree with Ray Charles:

"I have Georgia on My Mind.!!!!!!!"

H8Monga: In school I was always known as the map man... you count DC? I guess it'll pass...

Richmond, Va here...

*waves at Pecker*

prepky: left out kentucky?? oh well here anything below the ohio river is considered south..

CuriousInFL: Where does NE Florida fit into the picture? Like Jax/St Augustine/Daytona Beach? ???

H8Monga: In my geography classes focusing on the US, it seems like everyone has a different idea about what place is in what region. For me, Virginia is traditionally a Southern state, but it's not just that. It can be part of the Southeast, Northeast, or Mid-Atlantic. And "Megalopolis" includes Va.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hey, guys: The Mason-Dixon line determines Northern or Southern states. Maybe you'll have to check your Civil War history, but your pc provides a quickie! Well, perhaps another term would have been more descriptive!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I wish DirecTv understood the Mason-Dixon Line thing.

I've been trying for two years to talk them into letting me, a Virginia resident, get Turner South so I can catch more of the Braves baseball games, but DirecTv insists that Virginia is not a southern state.

The capital of the confederacy? Oh, please.

Pecker

(All my wife does is shop. Once she was sick for a week and three stores went under.)

dantien: I too am offended you left out Jacksonville. As if no one lives here.

Hello? Anyone?

prepstudinsc: Well here in South Carolina, we are still technically the only Confederate state left. We were forced back into the Union, but not by our own choice, so while we are part of the US, there is still a large contingent who think that we are a Confederate state today.

H8Monga: ... and I thought the people at Vicksburg, MS were nuts for not celebrating the 4th of July for almost 100 years.

What is the use in being in a country that doesn't exist anymore? The CSA lost! I remember someone in a chat said they came to Richmond "to see all the losing trophies on Monument Ave." I hope I don't offend anyone... keep in mind I do like Monument Ave and I respect the Lee family... proud to be a Richmonder and Virginian, Southerner, etc, I just don't understand. Also being black, the CSA isn't exactly good news for me... but I still love the Civil War.

I had a North Carolina raised woman tell me that Virginians were snooty and behind the rest of the country and because of that we shouldn't be snooty. Virginians were snooty because they associated more with the north... well if that's the case at all (I don't think we're snooty... maybe West End Richmonders and FFV bluebloods), Va's always been in the middle with influences from both directions.

The Mason-Dixon line... separated slave and free states right? But is it only between PA and MD and NJ and DE? Or just anything below that latitude that's the PA/MD border? Anyway... I don't consider Maryland and Delaware Southern states... nor Kentucky, West Virginia, and Missouri... that's just me...

Longhornjok: I have family in Virginia. DirecTV's ignorance notwithstanding, they say the only part of the state that doesn't recognize it's Southern heritage are the D.C. suburbs aka "NoVa". Given that most of those folks are snooty inside-the-beltway-types and/or policy wonks, you can imagine how crushed the rest of the state is by their aloof attitude.

inquiringmind: Hi,
I am child of the  Southern diaspora who lives in MD. My Mother is from Southern VA  and my father from NC. I would have to say that NoVa like certain parts of FL, NY,  and AZ are are really sending off the vibes of rather larger transplant communitees. Thus the rather unsouthern flavor. I do think because my parents ( obviously) raised me I have more Southern sensibilities than Northern ones.That was proven definitively when I did a grad program at UNC. I fit in seemlessly. I was surprised  actually because I thought growing up in MD that I was automatically of Northern taste and sensibility. I was truly awakened to the truth when I went to NC. We knew the same jokes ,ate the same food had similar world views and I felt like I was eating emotional comfort food the whole time I was there.  I find the South to be a complicated , warm ,surprising amalgam of its past and present.

Inquiring mind  

throb919: Missy, you are working that broom today, huh...? Ride-on!

[quote author=inquiringmind link=board=meetgreet;num=1063140640;start=0#17 date=09/12/03 at 11:27:43]...I was truly awakened to the truth when I went to NC. We knew the same jokes, ate the same food had similar world views and I felt like I was eating emotional comfort food the whole time I was there. I find the South to be a complicated, warm, surprising amalgam of its past and present. [/quote]
I'm trying really hard not to say: "Come back and eat us anytime!"

On behalf of the North Carolina contingent (Monstro and bblumbee and several others), thank you for your kind words. You know how often the South is misunderstood or misrepresented (as Javier just mentioned in another thread). I'm personally delighted to have Monstro thought of as "the big dick from North Carolina" after our recently-retired Senator held that title 30 years too long. (Y'know what I mean...)

Opinions expressed by throb919 are his own and are not endorsed by the people of North Carolina. Further, his "on behalf of..." assertion is, in its entirety, his own inane rambling; he is not authorized to speak by proxy or in fact for any resident of the state of North Carolina. His reference, in any manner, to Monstro, Monstro's penis, or the size of Monstro's penis, is completely without permission, and may be in violation of the General Statutes of the state of North Carolina as well as the laws of God and man.

inquiringmind: Deah Throb,
You ah a mighty naughty boy this afternoon. Ah must remembuh to whom I am speakin' and that double entendre is the rule rather than the exception within this company. In spite of your references to activities not within my realm, I do still feel there is a sense of gentility amongst those abiding within the Southern states. I am also quite aware that the only thing that keeps me from thinking that many of your sex were permanently left mentally, intellectually spiritually and emotionally frozen in the Ice age are the few wonderful men who brought me up and that I have encountered along the way . Please do not relieve me of that rather thin yet abiding sentiment. My "broom riding" suh refers to the delicate balance of my emotions at this time. To elaborate would be most indelicate.

( Suh, if you even feign to make any references of the "The South risin' again ",I feah I might faint dead away. But of course, that will not be before I investigate the situation thoroughly)

Mortified,

Inquirin' mind