Soy is bad for your thyroid { hypothyroidism}

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Marius567, May 24, 2007.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

[SIZE=+2]Symptoms of Hypothyroidism[/SIZE]
    Fatigue
    Weakness
    Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
    Coarse, dry hair
    Dry, rough pale skin
    Hair loss
    Cold intolerance
    (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
    Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
    Constipation
    Depression
    Irritability
    Memory loss
    Abnormal menstrual cycles
    Decreased libido
    Soy Alert: Complaints About Soy

2. naughty

Gold Member

Are you experiencing these things? IT may not be quite that simple. THere may be a number of things contributing to the problem.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

I have an extreme form of hypthyroidism known as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I have bloodwork done quarterly and have asked my endocrinologist about this. He informed me that since soy is not a big part of my diet I really don't have anything to worry about.

A bigger threat to the absorption rate of my medication is grapefruit and grapefruit juice.

Original Article:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperthyroidism/AN00454
    Soy: Does it worsen hypothyroidism?

Q.

Is it true that people with hypothyroidism should avoid soy?A. There's no evidence that people with hypothyroidism should avoid soy. Standard treatment for hypothyroidism is synthetic thyroid hormone. Theoretically, it's possible that eating very large amounts of soy could impair your body's ability to absorb this medication. In such cases, signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism may persist despite treatment with synthetic thyroid hormone.

Certain foods, medications and supplements — such as high-fiber foods, iron and calcium supplements, and some antacids — may also affect absorption of thyroid medication. To avoid this problem, take your thyroid medication on an empty stomach and separate from such foods, medications and supplements.

If you take synthetic thyroid hormone, consult your doctor before starting any new diets, medications or supplements.

function changeLabel(){ document.body.style.fontSize = "16px"; } var textSize = ''; var valArray = getCookieValue('mcDotcomSession'); valArray = valArray.split("|"); for(i=0;i

4. B_Kshelby67

B_Kshelby67 New Member

I dunno if that site makes a valid argument about soy really being directly linked to the thyroid. It is quite possible that these people are just allergic to soy, and also happen to have hypothyroidism.
    Not much is "bad" for you as long as you aren't a piglet about it. If you wolf down anything in mass quantities, it isn't going to be good for your health.

5. snoozan

Gold Member

First, the link you posted is simply anecdotal evidence not from a scientific study. This website doesn't cite any outside scientific research that's been done to support its claims. Also, this is an "activist" group website, and at the very least, they are trying to sell memberships or associated books. This is the nutritional equivalent of a conspiracy theory website. What this site uses to back up its research is insubstantial. I could say more, but this is just another fad-diet new-age conspiracy website. Eventually some of its claims may prove to be true, but I'm sticking with the American Heart Association over some random guy promoting his diet agenda.

As NJQT said, take your thyroid meds. This story is not very plausible. Unless there is full access to this woman's bloodwork and a daily nutrition and exercise diary for this entire span she's writing about, there is no way she, her doctor, or anyone can conclusively say she was following a diet correctly. There are millions of people out there that "eat healthy" and gain weight because they don't know what they are doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted