Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I think I read somewhere that the highest incidence of meth usage was in the South and around Arizona/the Southwest.

Ahhh, meth. You know, when I see a spindly, disheveled 103 pound guy with rotten teeth, picking at imaginary chiggers under his skin and spasmodically jerking and looking in every direction I think to myself: where can I score me some of that stuff?

I think it's at least partially due to the fact that we're the least populated (I think) state in the SW.. but yeah. Edit: googled it and yup.. NM is the least populated state in SW

Every state has their fuckers. Tis why I still believe "Florida man" should actually be known as "America man"

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I took the connection to be pretty obvious: people who believe that the Earth is flat also believe that all space exploration is a hoax. People who believe that only some space missions are hoaxes do not believe that the Earth is flat.

I see how that is at least plausible. It's difficult to make sense of space exploration if the earth is flat, so if one assumed that view, the easiest reaction to space exploration would be to just deny it. In turn, space exploration missions appear to provide evidence for the earth being spheroidal, so it would be difficult to square accepting their being real, with the earth being flat.

But I don't think the mutually exclusive relationship you originally expressed (mars mission denial -> either flat earth, or partial denial of space missions) necessarily follows from this. It is possible to deny all outer-space missions as bogus, and yet not hold that the earth is flat. The roundness of the earth has been a widely accepted notion long before space exploration was even considered as a real possibility. So even if denial of the recent Mars mission was reflective of denial of all space exploration, it would not follow that either they believe the earth is flat, or their skepticism about space exploration is partial. To presume that it does is to arbitrarily exclude the possibility of someone who believes the earth is round, yet questions all space exploration.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Deniers of what women repeatedly say about size on this website? Yeah. They are pretty stupid.
Just like the denier who claims to have a micropenis when his own posted pics show an average willy. ;)

STWW

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Asexual
Any enlightenment from Mars-landing deniers on this site?

A failure of the public education system. That’s it. That’s all there is to it. The problem begins and ends there. A member of a well educated populace would never come to this conclusion.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
A failure of the public education system. That’s it. That’s all there is to it. The problem begins and ends there. A member of a well educated populace would never come to this conclusion.
With the surge in anti science homeschooling (I know there are families that do have strong science in their homeschooling core, but I fear they are the exception), I think this will get worse.

I asked on another forum if denial mentality could be connected to mental illness (and I should also have added mental deficiency) due to its reliance on magical thinking.

T

T_Lurch

With the surge in anti science homeschooling (I know there are families that do have strong science in their homeschooling core, but I fear they are the exception), I think this will get worse.

I asked on another forum if denial mentality could be connected to mental illness (and I should also have added mental deficiency) due to its reliance on magical thinking.
It certainly seems plausible.

In going back to the OP's request for rebuttal from deniers, I think more than likely they'll be afraid to show themselves on here for fear of a lambasting. Not that it isn't warranted, mind you.

Reactions: STWW and MickeyLee

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In going back to the OP's request for rebuttal from deniers, I think more than likely they'll be afraid to show themselves on here for fear of a lambasting. Not that it isn't warranted, mind you.

I had only a slender hope that some might poke their heads out, for the very reason that you give.

T

T_Lurch

Normally, I've always believed questioning things is a very good thing, generally the sign of an inquisitive mind willing to explore and learn.

But when one questions things that are established fact with irrefutable proof, that's just foolishness. Or the sign of mental illness.

One can only hope that as Scarletbegonia postulated, this neo-Luddite movement doesn't gain much traction.

Last edited by a moderator:

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My experience of this goes back over fifty years. A family in our neighborhood belonged to a tiny fundamentalist non-denominational Christian church. Because they took the Bible literally they had to deny the physics (the weak nuclear force) of radiometric dating of rock which tells us the Earth is over four billion years old.

Because of that they had to deny almost all other science as well. We had just landed on the Moon and they denied it was real. The whole thing was a studio production. The rocket didn't have any men on board. The fuzzy television video was proof of the spoof. The high qualify film the astronauts brought back was all fake and so on ad nauseam. Oh and no hole in the ozone layer. Guess they didn't want to give up their spray-on deodorant. Turns out they didn't have to because other propellants were substituted.

I felt sorry for their kids whom they homeschooled or sent to Christian schools. Those kids grew up and had kids and grandkids. Last I heard they were all still Christian fundamentalists and young Earth believers. All conservative Republicans.

So much of this crap is on religion. Climate deniers. Covid deniers. Flat Earthers. Conspiracy nuts. I fear there are more of them than ever. Social media is a megaphone for their message. Because most of it is religious it's also political.

A lot of it goes to science illiteracy. When I was in college I was stunned to learn only 5% of us were pure science majors.

It's fine to think critically and question science but how good is one's criticism if one knows little or nothing of the issue? :cool:

woodshed775

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've noticed that posts on Facebook about the InSight Mars lander have been attracting comments that scoff at the idea that there is any such lander. I don't know whether the people who write these comments believe that there has never been any exploration of extraterrestrial space at all or if it is just the Mars mission that they believe to be a hoax. Do they think that the Earth is flat, or are they selective in which space-exploration projects they believe to be bogus? I saw one comment on the first photo from Mars that said, "They want you to think that Mars is an uninhabited planet." I don't know if this person believed that no craft has landed on Mars or if he believed that there really is a Mars lander but the photos are being selected to exclude views of Martians.

Any enlightenment from Mars-landing deniers on this site?
No denial here. Science I fear is now dependent on politics, woe unto U.S.

Reactions: T_Lurch