Space station & shuttle

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by arkfarmbear, May 17, 2011.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

I know the space shuttle program is ending with today's launch. I haven't heard any discussion about the space station. Is it ending, too? Is this shuttle bringing the folks on the space station "home" with them? How will astronauts and supplies be transported to the space station in the future?

2. BoyCordoba

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The Russian will keep taking people and cargo back and forth. The Progress and Soyuz cargo and people transporters are still going up.

3. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

And we wonder why the rest of the world has written us off as a "has been" nation.

4. parr

parr New Member

Simple, because we have allowed it.:mad:

5. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's a shame we are doing this. America was founded upon pushing the limits of human exploration and technology since before it was even America, it is what has set us apart. No longer. The only explanation I can think of is that we know of Extraterrestrial races with far superior technology so in actuality it IS a waste of our time scurrying around in low earth orbit. Disclosure is at hand.

6. Intrigue

Intrigue New Member

Albums:
    I wished they would scrap the space program and invest it into exploring the ocean. That would eventually lead to space exploration and its alot easier to test and experiment here on earth. We have discovered so little about our own planet. Lets turn our eyes inward and explore our home to better understand what is out there. I figure if they can make something that cam finally get to the bottom of these super trenches what would stop them from making a much sturdier space craft. Meh I could be way off though.

7. davidjh7

Gold Member

Actually due to the increadible pressures involved, as well as the more unstable enviroment, the deep oceans are actually much HARDER to explore than local space...you likely will see more exploration of the deep oceans as material science improves. There is money to be made from the oceans if the technology improves to the point to make it economically viable. And where there is money to be made, there is effort given.

8. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Bluntly, I think we're short changing ourselves by ending the program, that's for damn sure.

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is one more launch of Shuttle Atlantis on July 8. After that the International Space Station will be serviced by Russian launches. The Shuttle program is forty years old. Time has taken it's toll and technology has moved on. The spacecraft are hard and expensive to maintain and never reach their designed objective of providing cheap, safe, reusable transport into orbit. The per launch cost over the life of the program averages out to 1.3 billion dollars.

Successive administrations, Congresses and NASA have dropped the ball repeatedly when it came to proposing and funding a replacement program. Sad really to see the government that ran the Mercury Gemini, Apollo, STS, ISS, and all the unmanned missions, fall into such indecision, dithering and infighting. The US space program was one of the main engines driving technological R&D through to the 1980's. Now, with political gridlock in the US, it looks like the Russians won in the end. China isn't sitting still either.

Draft saved Draft deleted