Spain legalizes gay marriages

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
*considers a dual citizenship with Spain* Ok, even if not, I think it's really grat that SOMEWHERE in the world civil rights are becoming more diverse.

hung_big: *Considers getting a dual citizenship and travelling down there with Skai*

Good to hear. Thanks for the news Nixxy!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by rabudo@Apr 24 2005, 05:30 PM
in fact I'm against hetero marriages too because I think that, if there's love, you don't need papers, but well.....

However, that paper entitles married couples to benefits that single couples don't enjoy. Americans will understand what I mean when I point out the difference between the standard deduction for filing an income tax return as 'Married Filing Jointly' and 'Single'. Also, being able to claim a spouse on one's HMO is a great benefit. And then there's contestability of a living will. Only marriage as a legal matter answers legal complications clearly; 'love' doesn't cut it to a judge.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Out in Indian country, same-sex marriages are recognized by most tribes; the Cherokee are the only ones who have outlawed it. Navajo are debating it, but it doesn't look like it'll get far: Most Navajo see the anti-SSM side for what they are, a distraction from real (i.e., economic) issues. At least with abortion, we literally can debate the philosophical arguments until the heat-death of the universe. With SSM, I see nothing short of slippery slopes and outright lies coming from the anti-SSM people.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
yeah, it's remarkable how the state has managed to parasitize marriage to a degree that the organized religions never even dreamed of. it's a wonderful world we live in where the mutual commitment of two individuals becomes a government control mechanism. every time I have cause to consider this subject it makes me wanna hurl.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Apr 24 2005, 03:36 PM
Navajo are debating it, but it doesn't look like it'll get far:
[post=304273]Quoted post[/post]​

The Navajo Nation has now "outlawed" same sex marriage. It passed just this past week.

WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. (AP) - The Navajo Nation on Friday outlawed same-sex marriages on its reservation. The Tribal Council voted unanimously in favor of legislation that restricts a recognized union to that between a man and a woman, and prohibits plural marriages as well as marriages between close relatives. "Men and women have been created in a sacred manner. We need to honor this," said Del. Harriet Becenti.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, looks like Spain's the place to be then. I don't mind, it was my first choice for relocation anyway. For some reason, they seemed less horrified of "brown people" there too. I guess having several thousand years to work out your issues has it's advantages.

InsertHere

Experimental Member
Media
I'm supposed to be writing a paper right now, so I don't have time to look it up, but one U.S. county in one of the states that recently outlawed gay marriage outlawed marriage completely. If gays cannot get married, nobody can get married.

I love when governments engage in civil disobedience!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by KinkGuy+Apr 24 2005, 03:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinkGuy &#064; Apr 24 2005, 03:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Apr 24 2005, 03:36 PM
Navajo are debating it, but it doesn&#39;t look like it&#39;ll get far:
[post=304273]Quoted post[/post]​

The Navajo Nation has now "outlawed" same sex marriage. It passed just this past week.

WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. (AP) - The Navajo Nation on Friday outlawed same-sex marriages on its reservation. The Tribal Council voted unanimously in favor of legislation that restricts a recognized union to that between a man and a woman, and prohibits plural marriages as well as marriages between close relatives. "Men and women have been created in a sacred manner. We need to honor this," said Del. Harriet Becenti.
[post=304298]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I&#39;m surprised. Oh well, public opinion polls said most people there think it was a distraction, so he might lose votes by insulting their intelligence.

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I have dual Spanish/Irish citizenship but I dont think it doesnt apply to me anyway. I still think that attitudes to gay marriage are quite negative, but the current government is the liberal PSOE, somehow I couldn&#39;t have envisaged Aznar introducing it during his time as PM.

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
just saw the crap mixed up grammer i used, my english is disappearing&#33;&#33; :wow:

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You&#39;re a bad, bad man. I saw that on the news this morning, I almost rolled out of bed. Of course, hand-holding between the bushes and the Saudis is nothing new.