Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Confession. I have never eaten Spam. Is this odd? Is it because I'm Canadian? I have not actually taken a poll, but I don't actually know anyone who buys Spam, although I see the odd can of it lurking on the shelves of my local supermarket.

How does one eat it? And do people from Europe have Spam? Asia? Australia? Antarctica?

If I was going to give up my Spam viriginity....what's the best way to do it? :biggrin1:

My brother used to eat it. He'd remove it from the can, slice it, and pan fry it. Usually with eggs and toast. Or use it for a sandwich. The concept and texture always squicked me so I never tried it

PerfectlySexy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've avoided spam but I was intoxicated one night when friends made spam and eggs and since I was hungry, and intoxicated, I decided to try it. It was pretty good but that was probably the beer's influence. So, spam and eggs after a few drinks would be my suggestion.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have it in my cyclone (hurricane) survival kit and as the season finishes I work my way through the supplies so they aren't wasted and then restock just before the new season starts.

I make fritters out of it, a form of cowboy hash with cubed, golden fried potatoes and onions.
It's good as part of a fry up after a big night.
Sliced and grilled it goes ok with grilled pineapple slices and lettuce on a bun as a form of burger.

Word of warning..it's really salty like most processed pork products ..think ham and bacon so adding salt before you taste it might not be the best idea.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Spam is a really big deal in Hawaii. I have to admit I never really cared for it on the mainland but I've found some local places on the north shore that really jazz it up into something out of this world.

... Taken from Wikipedia...
Spam (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita in the United States. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. In Hawaii, Burger King began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[13][14] In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes referred to as "The Hawaiian Steak".[15] One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, where cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[16]
S

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like spam hash ........... easy to make diced spam mixed with hash browns , fried golden brown

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How does one eat it? And do people from Europe have Spam? Asia? Australia? Antarctica?

Apparently the Americans introduced it here (NZ) when they were in the Pacific during the WW2 period.
Had occasion to have it irregularly hah when hostelling on my oe (Nz/Au for overseas experience)
a few Americans smirked at me consuming it i must admit, prob much like folk would now when you eat a pkt of inst noodles these days ha .. uncooked.
Much like the cans of corned beef i thought, CB being marginally better me thinks.

dont know anything about virginity im afraid?? ha

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think I heard about the way Hawaiians love their Spam. Interesting.

So far, I guess it sounds like the best way to try it is in a hash. And maybe after a bunch of drinks!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I take very cold spam from the fridge, slice it,lay down flat and put a slice on each eye for 30 minutes. Then I'm pretty enough for a night on the town.

For beauty??? Oh my! But won't my cats attack??? :eek:

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I, too, am Canadian and have never eaten Spam. Never eaten Klik, its Canadian sister, either.

I do, however, appreciate a good Spam haiku. My personal fave:

Old man seeks doctor.
"I eat Spam daily," he says.
Angioplasty.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I, too, am Canadian and have never eaten Spam. Never eaten Klik, its Canadian sister, either.

I do, however, appreciate a good Spam haiku. My personal fave:

Old man seeks doctor.
"I eat Spam daily," he says.
Angioplasty.

I have never eaten Klik, either. What about canned corned beef? Did you ever eat that? That is the only canned meat (other than canned tuna or salmon) I can recall eating.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've had corned beef, but not from a can. There something about pickled meat that just doesn't do it for me. This ain't exactly covered-wagon times, you know?

How was the corned beef?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've had corned beef, but not from a can. There something about pickled meat that just doesn't do it for me. This ain't exactly covered-wagon times, you know?

How was the corned beef?

It's ok. Something I might throw in for a camping trip to cook with potatoes, but not for much more than that. Unless you're dying of curiousity or a contestant on Top Chef, I'd give it a pass. :biggrin1:

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Spam does have a reputation here in The States as kind of a cheap food, poor person food, even redneck food. YMMV. Haven't had it since I was a kid....

Ahh, the recipe for Spam Fritters.

SPAM®