Spam around the world

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Never had it.
Potted meat = No!

One of my relatives swears by seared Spam sandwiches with colby jack cheese and Dijon mustard.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sliced thin, then fried, with a thin layer of mayo on a sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Like a BLT but with Spam. It's delicious.

I haven't had Spam in about a decade, but now I want some!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They had the SPAM truck at an air show I went to on an Air Force base. They were giving samples of fried thinly sliced Spam on wonder bread. Long lines. Spam is ok but the gelatinous goo that seeps out the top of the tin is gross.

SPAM= pork shoulder + ham , according to the teenager with bad complexion handing out the samples.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sliced thin, then fried, with a thin layer of mayo on a sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Like a BLT but with Spam. It's delicious.

Ok, I trust you and you made me want some, but then Earl said....

They had the SPAM truck at an air show I went to on an Air Force base. They were giving samples of fried thinly sliced Spam on wonder bread. Long lines. Spam is ok but the gelatinous goo that seeps out the top of the tin is gross.

SPAM= pork shoulder + ham , according to the teenager with bad complexion handing out the samples.

Gelatinous goo? :eek: *gulp*

Ok, Earl... you may be the guy to answer this. You have dual citizenship - is Spam less popular in Canada? Have you noticed a difference?

D_Olga Steponyatova

Just Browsing
Media
Naked Spam is more than a bit gross and Spammiches make me cringe, but I've always viewed Spam as a random challenge to rise to when cooking... and getting out of the can to begin with.

The quizzical bit is how much Spam costs in proportion to how bad it tastes! Certainly not a value food.

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I had spam as a kid in sandwich with mayo and lettuce. Sliced and fried with potato and eggs. Not my favorite, the salt level is way too high. When fried salt is intensified. In the 60's and 70's it was a cheap food for families and the poor. Have not had it for years.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the 60's and 70's it was a cheap food for families and the poor. Have not had it for years.

Perhaps its one thing the Govts can kindly make freely available to all destitute citizens, in every country
(wouldnt cost much from any budget huh?)

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had spam as a kid in sandwich with mayo and lettuce. Sliced and fried with potato and eggs. Not my favorite, the salt level is way too high. When fried salt is intensified. In the 60's and 70's it was a cheap food for families and the poor. Have not had it for years.

I think it's like bacon. It's good for adding a salty porky flavor to food, but not so good if there's too much of it.

Bacon is also a cheap food for families and the poor, but that doesn't mean that it's not delicious, too!

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
they make turkey spam which is less salty the the ham made spam

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay

^^ I agree but I like mine cut a little thicker. It's good with mustard also.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In the 60's and 70's it was a cheap food for families and the poor. Have not had it for years.

Perhaps its one thing the Govts can kindly make freely available to all destitute citizens, in every country
(wouldnt cost much from any budget huh?)

They've done government donated comodities food here in The States before. Usually, it's this nasty ass processed cheese block. Haven't had any in years, and according to Wiki, they've stopped doing it.

Ack. Spam and Government Cheese.

:puke:

Government cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I love Spam and Scrapple too. However, i only eat them once and a while. As they are not healthy for you.

Scrapple? What is this Scrapple of which you speak?

Edit after Google: Everything but the squeal? Pork mush? Um, yeah, pretty sure we don't have scrapple at my local Safeway.....*gulp*

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Scrapple? What is this Scrapple of which you speak?

Scrapple and Liver Pudding are sort of a southern US version of pâté, surprisingly similar in flavor. The texture isn't as smooth, though. I like it, but I also enjoy pâté, which isn't for everyone.

Last edited:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Scrapple and Liver Pudding are sort of a southern US version of pâté, surprisingly similar in flavor. The texture isn't as smooth, though. I like it, but I also enjoy pâté, which isn't for everyone.

Pate, I do know and quite like. The description of scrapple on Wikipedia sounds awful, though.