Media
Sexuality
No Response

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok, I trust you and you made me want some, but then Earl said....

Gelatinous goo? :eek: *gulp*

Ok, Earl... you may be the guy to answer this. You have dual citizenship - is Spam less popular in Canada? Have you noticed a difference?

It's gross stuff, Fem - overly processed and full of salt, preservatives and fat. Ranks up there with Wonder Bread, Underwood Deviled Meat in a can, and Velveta Cheese in terms of unhealthy foods of the 50's that have lingered into the next century.

Honestly, I've never seen SPAM in Canada and rarely see it in the US (although they did name junk mail after it). The only place I've seen Spam is in Hawaii, a thick slice on top of rice - like a piece of sushi wrapped with a strip of nori. They sell it at the 7-11 there.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
They got it at a lot of the grocery stores here in Chicagoland. Been years since I had it, but got a can of it for shits and giggles, and to try and make some sort of fritters with it.

I vaguely remember having it as a young child. My grandmother would make it sometimes for lunch. I remember it having a sort of chemical taste to it.

I actually like the Underwood deviled chicken spread. Goes good on PopChips.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pate, I do know and quite like. The description of scrapple on Wikipedia sounds awful, though.

Heh, I just said what it tasted like. :tongue:

It didn't sound that bad to me, but being part Asian, I've probably eaten things that would make your toes curl. :eek:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's gross stuff, Fem - overly processed and full of salt, preservatives and fat. Ranks up there with Wonder Bread, Underwood Deviled Meat in a can, and Velveta Cheese in terms of unhealthy foods of the 50's that have lingered into the next century.

Honestly, I've never seen SPAM in Canada and rarely see it in the US (although they did name junk mail after it). The only place I've seen Spam is in Hawaii, a thick slice on top of rice - like a piece of sushi wrapped with a strip of nori. They sell it at the 7-11 there.
Earl, you are right. Spam, Scrapple and the other things you mentioned are not healthy. That is the reason i very rarely eat them. I eat very little meat. I like vegetables, rice and beans and perhaps some fish or chicken.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You asked for it. Most supermarkets sell it here in the U.S. Its a mush of pork and beef Scraps. People eat it for breakfast or dinner. It goes good with anything. I like Parks Scrapple the best or Arnold's from Brooklyn New York.

Artisan Scrapple at Williamsburg's Egg | Serious Eats : New York

I think that I will leave scrapple should I ever make a drunken foray into the US! Spam has given more than enough to deal with - besides, I am postive we don't have it here. :smile:

I'm sure I've seen Spam the odd time on the shelves here. It's funny though, people from all over the world are posting that they've been eating it for years - but no Canadians.

I'm just curious - it was the fritter recipe that got me thinking about it. I have no intention on getting hooked. Took me ages to kick the Velveeta habit! :silly:

They got it at a lot of the grocery stores here in Chicagoland. Been years since I had it, but got a can of it for shits and giggles, and to try and make some sort of fritters with it.

I vaguely remember having it as a young child. My grandmother would make it sometimes for lunch. I remember it having a sort of chemical taste to it.

I actually like the Underwood deviled chicken spread. Goes good on PopChips.

Make the fritters, then let me know how they turn out! Didn't Dragon have the recipe? Or was it MR?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Heh, I just said what it tasted like. :tongue:

It didn't sound that bad to me, but being part Asian, I've probably eaten things that would make your toes curl. :eek:

OMG! I've been to Chinatown for dim sum with Cantonese friends! Some of the things they pull out of their little baskets.....

Then again, I'm part Native American, so I always ask if they'd like a little moose nose or baked skunk (not that I actually eat those things either, but I do have the recipes :wink:)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Earl, you are right. Spam, Scrapple and the other things you mentioned are not healthy. That is the reason i very rarely eat them. I eat very little meat. I like vegetables, rice and beans and perhaps some fish or chicken.

I try to eat healthy like you but i do get a craving for a big juicy steak about twice a year.

I'm just curious - it was the fritter recipe that got me thinking about it. I have no intention on getting hooked. Took me ages to kick the Velveeta habit! :silly:
OMG Fem, I had the most delicious lasagna at a Christmas party this year. I almost died when I asked the host what the secret ingredient was and she almost embarrassed by it said "VELVETA". I could feel my arteries hardening right after she said that. :redface: But my god it was just soooo good. I had three servings. It was like my body subconsciously responding to a childhood addiction.

mickstl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Velveeta in lasagna? Could you not see the yellow/orange? Or did it blend in w/the sauce?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I try to eat healthy like you but i do get a craving for a big juicy steak about twice a year.

OMG Fem, I had the most delicious lasagna at a Christmas party this year. I almost died when I asked the host what the secret ingredient was and she almost embarrassed by it said "VELVETA". I could feel my arteries hardening right after she said that. :redface: But my god it was just soooo good. I had three servings. It was like my body subconsciously responding to a childhood addiction.

*checks to see if anybody is listening*

The secret to my cheese sauce, which everybody loves, is some Velveeta. I sneak a small box into the house and hide it. It just kicks up the flavour for some reason. Don't tell anyone! *shhhhh* Never tried it in lasagne, though.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
*checks to see if anybody is listening*

The secret to my cheese sauce, which everybody loves, is some Velveeta. I sneak a small box into the house and hide it. It just kicks up the flavour for some reason. Don't tell anyone! *shhhhh* Never tried it in lasagne, though.

It's kinda like me, hash and my brownie recipe. :biggrin1: *shhhhhhhh*

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am eating Spam for the first time. I like it. I cut it into four slices to fry up and put on toast with Miracle Whip and lettuce. OMG. Good stuff!

It's a staple in my house from now on. Everyone else is enjoying it too.

Well, if you can do it - so can I! :smile:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm an extremely picky eater, so I just won't put any meat in my mouth. LOL Sorry I had to say that last part.

Haha - you made a funny! :biggrin1:

Well, I'm not picky at all - just canned meat seems weird. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find some. I'm suffering a serious case of the lazies today!

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
In the 60's and 70's it was a cheap food for families and the poor. Have not had it for years.

Perhaps its one thing the Govts can kindly make freely available to all destitute citizens, in every country
(wouldnt cost much from any budget huh?)
Spam isn't as cheap as it use to be. Almost a luxury meat. :eek: