Spartacus: Blood and Sand/Gods of the Arena

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by _Jonesy, Feb 19, 2011.

1. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

Thought I would raise awareness. Obviously I cannot post links to sites where you can watch these for free, but it is easy to find such a thing.

I am buying this on blu-ray next chance I get, as well as Rome. Never before have I been so addicted to such a programme, it is fantastic. Everything about it, the plot, the relationships the characters.

Highly Recommended.

2. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
    Verified:
    Photo
    OMG...this show is unbelievable. I could not get over how sexually graphic and gory it is and honestly it was a little too much for me. But once you get hooked into the plot, you just need to know what is going to happen. I am actually catching up on the second season right now.

3. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

I think the first season takes a couple of episodes to find its feet, but the prequel series is perfect throughout.

Awesome to see a female fan :)

4. D_Winthrop Woodcock

D_Winthrop Woodcock Account Disabled

Its a great show ain't it?

Thats one of the main attractions!

#4 D_Winthrop Woodcock, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  5. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

To guys, of course :p

6. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

Just read they're having to replace Andy Whitfield as Spartyarsus because his cancer has come back.

My reaction: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hate it when shows do this :( I can never re-immerse myself.

7. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Jonesy has already mentioned to me that this is a good show, so it's on my must-see list. If I enjoy it, I'll be back in this thread singing it's praises.

8. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah my co-worker told me about that and that is why they did the prequel. They were hoping he would recover and be able to do the third season.

9. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The sex and goriness are like main characters in the plot. They are absolutely necessary. However, the constant sex scenes and orgies have an negative effect on me. You know how you see something that makes you hot and you want to have sex, their sex scenes desentisize me to the point that I don't want to have sex.

10. NumberTwentySix

NumberTwentySix New Member

The "goryness" is not particularly impressive. I think they spent all their money getting the actors to agree to do full nude scenes, so they had to skimp on the cg blood. It looks like someone did some of those effects in iMovie on a six year old college macbook.

11. D_Pomeroy Pokingstick

D_Pomeroy Pokingstick Account Disabled

I just started to watch the first season, really entertaining with lots of action!

12. paigexox

Gold Member

Albums:
    The first season was pretty hit and miss. I recall the story arc being sort of all over the place, and the initial episodes were painful to watch. It was certainly an entertaining series, but if you compare it to the likes of Breaking Bad or Generation Kill, you can really see that they are pandering sex and violence in lieu of more desirable merits like acting and writing.

As well, I never found myself identifying with, or having any great amount of compassion for any specific character, which was a large deterrent for me.

13. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

I think Crixus in series 1 has a great character. Spartacus has a good character, but I think Crixus is spot on for story and acting.

In the prequel series they had it perfect. Oenomaus, Batiatus, Lucretia, Gaia, Melitta. All their characters seem to suck you in, they definately did well.

@MsThang, Yeh I knew they went back to do the prequels because of his cancer, but while filmed Spartacus: Vengeance (series 2) his cancer came back and he had to stop filming again, so he has been recast and Liam McIntyre is taking his place.

...bugger.

14. D_Winthrop Woodcock

D_Winthrop Woodcock Account Disabled

It can go both ways.... guess it really depends on the individual... though more often than not, its what you read above that occurs

15. MsThang

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  16. _Jonesy

_Jonesy Member

I love that photo, none of them have very flattering poses going on hah

17. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

I agree with Paigeox. The first season was a bit lost in the wilderness, but the Prequel series is tight. Quintus becomes almost human as we watch his father humiliate him repeatedly. Lucretia on the other hand becomes more and more like Lady MacBeth, as we learn she has been systematiclly poisoning the Sr. Batiatus. The triangle between Oneomaus, Melitta, and Gannicus twists the entire plot line, as Gannicus, distracted finally by love, allows Crixis to become champion. Asher appears as hollow on his first day as he is on his last.

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

I haven't seen any episodes of this series. However I did sit through a rather ponderous CGI produced film about the Spartans a few years ago. Do the Greeks and Romans in this series have airbrushed abdominal muscles? It seems all the actors (including some women) in the film about the Spartans did. Just curious.

19. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

It's a little know fact that Greeks invented the AbMaster, and it's use was obligatory, if you wanted to be able to vote. Body airbrushing was optional.

Seriously, the writing in the latest installment crackles, as these predominantly English actors, well Hannah is Scottish, use, provoke, retort, and connive against one another in Machiavellian ways.

20. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    best thing on tv these days

Draft saved Draft deleted