Speed - What does it do for you?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Im not talking about drugs.
    Im talking about driving fast.

I've never been on drugs, nor fully "Drunk", so I can't relate to any rush or thrills people can get off that stuff - nor do I want to find out.

For me, Speed is the only medication that I find peace, for a few moments.
    Where my mind quiets down from the rage, my body finds peace and relaxation.
    Triple digit speed is my only release from the days ailment.
    At 120mph I exhale and let go of all of my worries.
    At 140 My mind focuses in and I, the car, and the road become one.
    When I bury the needle at 160, I feel completely free of this world, its constraints, laws, regulations. Total utopia.

I don't relate it to a Rush, or a Thrill, as that is not what I get out of it.
    It's temporary peace, that keeps me from insanity.

For the people that like to go fast, what does it do for you?

(Dont bother replying with "Speed kills" or related comments)

2. findfirefox

Gold Member

Just have to, around 80 mph, if you crash you will not live, the end.

Now back to the real world, I was in a car going about 120 but it was an SUV so all I could think was "we are going to roll over and die." Though when we slowed down I laughed.

3. dong20

Gold Member

On a bike:

100 - 120 is just pootling but relaxing
    120 - 130 demands enough concentration to take your mind of most other stuff
    130 - 160 Takes your mind of pretty much anything other than the experience.
    160 - and up (my fastest ever was a tad under 170 'indicated') the only thing on my mind was OMG please no bends, no traffic, no bumps...:eek:

In a Car

Similar up to 120 as bike but the fastest I've ever pushed a car is about 130....but when I get that S4 I'll come back and update....

Good question...:smile:

4. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    And NO...I'm not condoning Inexperienced drivers go out and see what it feels like.

Seasoned experienced drivers, that have "Been there".

5. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I don't go fast. Period. I'm worth waiting for. If you don't care where you're going, you ain't lost. If you don't care when you get there, you ain't late.

I go fast in the kitchen, though.

6. rhino_horn

rhino_horn New Member

i feeel u bro, i used to drive like a maniac...i had a 94 maxima se-supercharged. i boosted the horsepower to about 309. i bought it stock for $4500, replaced the rotors, brake pads, transmission gearbox, rims, paint, headlights/foglights, and added a supercharger--all at retail prices(i was young and stupid)

i wud relate driving fast to an adrenaline rush, i wud blast "bleed the freak"+ "we die young" through the amp'd bose sound system, cut people off, drive with the finger out the window, race people who didnt know i was racing them...i feel like a real retard thinking about it now.

alas, i forgot to upgrade the brakes. i smashed into a 2005 ford explorer(which only suffered a broken tail light and a scuffed bumper), my poor maxima was trashed; the only thing that survived was the cabin. i left the scene unharmed, but i cudnt get back into the drivers seat for about a month, cuz of the nerves. after the crash i cud only afford a 1994 nissan shitbox about 160hp...but ive got it running well over the past few years. im just glad i survived.

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It fills a need.

8. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Speed is part of my genetic makeup. My father collected motorcycles for a time (the time before his children came along), has a penchant for old Chevys, and still won't go slower than 80 mph on the highways. My mother owned a '69 Mustang Shelby GT 350 until I was 5. My uncle was an amateur race car driver for many years. I was destined for a lead foot.

Whipping down a straight road at over 100 mph is exhilarating, while maneuvering a car around sharp curves is . . . well . . . soothing to my senses and produces a clarity of mind. Driving fast came early and easily to me, but my real driving skills were learned while living in Virginia and West Virginia on my '99 Honda Civic SI. Many of the back roads on those mountains are narrow, so if you don't drive well, your chances of driving into the side of a mountain or off it are fairly high.

Recently, I bought a Mazda 3 after my Honda Civic Si was stolen. It has a 2.3 litre engine and it's decent on gas (essential since I drive everywhere on the job), but I loved my Si and would have purchased another if I had a garage.

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Truthfully, old Pecker sets his cruise control for no more than 4mph over the speed limit (7 on the Interstate).

But I don't ride in the left lane for miles with my blinker on.

10. findfirefox

Gold Member

You just have it on for a few blocks confusing the living hell out of people behind you when a turn approches and confusing every person on there bike or walking.

11. kinkymanca

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I will drive fast, but only if it is "safe" to do so. this means usually in the middle of the night, with no other cars around. of course, in my younger days, I wasnt so smart. luckily, nothing ever happened.

when I was about 14, my father had his buddy teach me to drive some. he was a former IMSA driver, so he knew a thing or three. to this day I still use skills he taught me.

When I do get to go fast, it is like a test to see if I can block everything out except me, the vehicle, and the road. I have done in excess of 140, and loved it. afterwards, my heart was racing. not because I was nervous, but because I had actually done it. it has been a few years since I pushed it like this, but no doubt I will do it again. these days, I drive mostly on city streets, so I refuse to do dumb shit with so many others around. but every once in a while, I will pull away from a stop light, and see just how fast I can get up to a certain point. plus, it is fun to be sitting there, as an "older" guy, in a BMW, very non descrpt, and just plain SMOKE the kid with the "racer" import. ah, when will these guys learn, just because its loud and flashy, doesnt mean it is fast?

-Kinkymanca

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Nope, my mama taught me to come almost to a complete stop and turn the blinker on just as I start the turn.

13. basque9

Gold Member

Albums:
    Although I will never admit to driving more than 7 mph over the posted speed, under ideal situations like the left lane of the Autobahn , or the handful of American highways with "reasonable and proper" speed postings.... I have experienced the occasional spontaneous orgasm :smile: from the exhilaration and "rush" of driving a sportscar at speeds in excess of 120 mph... reasonably and properly mind you!

Allan S. likes this.
  14. chico8

chico8 New Member

Speed on a race track is great, excessive speed on a public road is little more than an attempt at suicide or a total lack of concern for society at large. It's of course one of the ultimate ways of giving society the finger. We all have our ways of escaping reality, few, however are so dangerous as speeding.

15. dong20

Gold Member

The only 'reasonable and proper' way to drive a powerful sportscar is over 120mph...:tongue:

basque9 likes this.
  16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Here I'm guessing you mean Kmh, not mph....

17. dong20

Gold Member

LOL, Nope, we use MPH here in the UK....130kph..where's the 'speed' in that? :rolleyes:

18. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

I own 1 sports car, 1 Bavarian Bomber and I have absolutely nowhere to safely blast down the road above 90 or so. I love speed. I'm done with bikes, I get too crazy on them. There's nothing quite like going 150 with your hair on fire:biggrin1: .

19. dong20

Gold Member

I've not ridden a bike for a few years now and I miss it, though given the standard of driving in the UK these days.. I think I'd like to keep my vital organs till they wear out naturally.

Can't do fast here easily these days, too many speed cameras..:rolleyes:

20. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    i think this is why i was banned from driving cars

Draft saved Draft deleted