Speed - What does it do for you?

joker

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well I'm a big import fanatic anyway. I love speed. Normally, as long as no one's around, I'll drive about 80 on country roads by my house....it's just exilarating...feeling the wind hit your face and being completely in the moment. I drive a Celica...the fastest I've gotten it was 120 on the parkway...but now, my whole front end is made of fiberglass, so it's very light, and it scares me when my carbon fiber hood starts moving from the speed....lol.....so I try to keep it around 80.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
joker said:
Well I'm a big import fanatic anyway. I love speed. Normally, as long as no one's around, I'll drive about 80 on country roads by my house....it's just exilarating...feeling the wind hit your face and being completely in the moment. I drive a Celica...the fastest I've gotten it was 120 on the parkway...but now, my whole front end is made of fiberglass, so it's very light, and it scares me when my carbon fiber hood starts moving from the speed....lol.....so I try to keep it around 80.

Sometimes it's not the actual speed but the perceived speed, my first car (well proper, legal car) was a '67 Triumph Sptifire, it would struggle to do much over 80 but being what seemed like an inch off the ground, the rattles and bumps and so on, even 50 or 60 seemed like over 100....someone replaced the bonnet on that with a Fibreglass one so maybe the lower weight helped..I still miss that car..:rolleyes:

The first bike I owned was a Kawasaki GPz900r....rather big and heavy with a tendency to tank slap when pushed hard on iffy road surfaces :eek: but winding the throttle on in 2nd between about 6000-9000 rpm was a real arm stretcher..and smile inducer....howling, happy, immortal days..:smile:

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rhino_horn said:
....after the crash i cud only afford a 1994 nissan shitbox about 160hp...but ive got it running well over the past few years. im just glad i survived.

Hey, don't knock it, I drive one just like that.

But I am not quite one for high speed on the road. Never felt the thrill. Fell from a motor bike a couple of times though. Perhaps the memories of the pain from those accidents keep me from speeding.

BJT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At 16 I did my first performance driving school in my 96 GTI and started street racing. At 18 I did my first racing school in the GTI and had grown sick of the street racing game.. Now at 20 I have outgrown the capabilities of the GTI and moved onto dad's M3 and am a season away from becoming an instructor for the local BMW club.

I like to go fast, I had a bike for 2 months. I scared the hell out of myself and sold it before I killed myself. I am now being forced to sell the woderful GTI and replace it with a light pickup truck :( Need more space to haul stuff for my business.

Now the reason I sold the bike is not because I went too fast on flat, open, straight roads. It is because I went too fast on crappy, sandy, blind corners. I see no point in driving like a mad man down a straight road, unless you are going extremely (150+) fast its pointless. I usually cruise at 100 on country roads and focus on setting up for the corners and taking the "Line" through.

Straight aways are only there to connect the corners :biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BJT said:
Now the reason I sold the bike is not because I went too fast on flat, open, straight roads. It is because I went too fast on crappy, sandy, blind corners. I see no point in driving like a mad man down a straight road, unless you are going extremely (150+) fast its pointless. I usually cruise at 100 on country roads and focus on setting up for the corners and taking the "Line" through.

Straight aways are only there to connect the corners :biggrin1:

Absolutely, but the straights build your confidence in the vehicle. I used to push it on the bends....scraped the can a few times but by and large my enthusiasm far exceeded my ability. But some serious fun was had, without doubt.:biggrin1:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mach .85 is where the action starts. Place the V_min speed bug here.

Mach .95 is where it starts getting interesting. Sound wall buffeting, aka sound wall petting. Hazardous, disadvantageous for the structure, but good for adrenaline junkies.

Mach 1 is good, but not the best yet.

Mach 2.5 means "Rifle bullet, here I come!"

Mach 3 means "Kiss my ass, bullet!"

Mach 5 means heaven, almost.

Mach 7, I'm in heaven!

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yhtang said:
Hey, don't knock it, I drive one just like that.

But I am not quite one for high speed on the road. Never felt the thrill. Fell from a motor bike a couple of times though. Perhaps the memories of the pain from those accidents keep me from speeding.

im not "knocking it," ive had the car for two years...i can afford a new one now, but im attached to this one. the parts r cheap and easy to replace for a diy guy, the insurance is cheap, the gas mileage is decent, and for the 80000 miles ive driven it, its never failed me in any way. its EARNED my respect, so ill keep it for as long as it runs.

PLUS, its one of the few things that i own. i can run it into a wall tomorrow and buy another one the day after, without it breaking my bank.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
findfirefox said:
Just have to, around 80 mph, if you crash you will not live, the end.

Now back to the real world, I was in a car going about 120 but it was an SUV so all I could think was "we are going to roll over and die." Though when we slowed down I laughed.
I was in an accident at 140 and was fine.

A friend of mine flipped his beamer going the same speed and was ejected from the car and he was fine, too.

To respond to the original poster, I love driving fast. I hate living in this country because of all the stupid cops and speed traps and ridiculously low speed limits which are mostly artifacts from the Nixon-era energy crisis still kept on the books even after the laws that created them have been revoked because it artificially pumps up county, state and municipality revenues with all the bogus speeding tickets they hand out every day.

The focus and calm you experience after a good adrenalyn rush is great. Good for stress relief. Good for anger management. and just for a little fun.

If I wanted to "bury the needle" on my car though... I'd have to be going like 220. spedometer goes up to 200 but the fastest I've had it was 175 mph (280 kph).

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
If I wanted to "bury the needle" on my car though... I'd have to be going like 220. spedometer goes up to 200 but the fastest I've had it was 175 mph (280 kph).

Wow, some of you guys are SERIOUS speed demons. :rolleyes:

I thought I was bad going 140 km/h down the 400 series Highway.:biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NineInchCock_160IQ said:

You driving something something modded then? I ask as there are only 4 'production' cars capable of 220 mph or more ; only three of those are currently in production and only two of those are on 'public' sale and I know which one I'd like to try...:smile:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dong20 said:
You driving something something modded then? I ask as there are only 4 'production' cars capable of 220 mph or more ; only three of those are currently in production and only two of those are on 'public' sale and I know which one I'd like to try...:smile:

my car is mostly stock. I don't think it's capable of 220 mph. But if I wanted to "bury the needle"... since my spedometer goes to 200.. I would have to be going 220. I could probably get to 200... at 175 I was in fifth gear at 5000 rpms and the car wasn't struggling at all.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Production cars are no fun.

The first thing you want to do, is lower the temp, free up the exhaust, port the heads, better induction, and PROGRAM for the changes.
Get rid of those pesky rev limiters and speed govenors.

I'm more into american muscle cars.
It's a good feeling when you can open up a set of mechanical secondaries and your held tight in the seat by high torque as you bury the needle and peg 8,000 rpm on the motor.

I dont think there is ANYTHING wrong with unwinding on public roads.
Speeding may be wrong for YOU mr california...but its not for me.
For the rest of the world, we have open highway, big carbs, big cubes and lots of free open roads to have fun.

The most dangerous and risky habit? I disagree.
What about Drugs? What about alchohol?
I believe the risk of Driving Drunk home, or dealing in drugs is MUCH higher risk of death, than being completely coherent, and IN control of what your doing.

The only problem I see is alot of younger drivers don't use the appropriate roads for speeding. Residential areas and through town aren't the place to speed because theres always going to be some dumb shit thats going to pull out in front of you.
The problem, I believe falls back on the parents.
They dont teach their children anything. Most parents nowadays shiver to open the hood, so their children grow up completely clueless on what makes a car tick.
If they worked on one, they would learn appreciation for the auto, how it works, and what to do, and not to do.
A disposable society doesn't help matters.

I also agree with the needless ticket statement. I don't have any points for speeding, as I do it when/where it is appropriate.
Tickets are a complete waste of time in rural areas.
The police are a needed commodity - so put them where they belong. Looking for criminals, drugs, murderers, child molesters etc...

Again, this thread was started for people of like thoughts, and NOT to post "Speeding is dangerous..etc" READ THE DAMN THREADS BEFORE YOU POST!

T

that_other_guy

Speed excites me, makes me laugh, and is a good conversation piece. And it is true that (IMHO) speed gives you a rush like no other. My first taste was @ the BMW NA plant where for some $$$, for 2 days they take you on an adventure w/ the ultimate driving machine. Thats was when I was 16 and a BMW 328i (2000) was my 1st car (which I still drive today). Around where I live, there is a great piece of interstate (southern connector) whiich is a toll road with very little police presence & even less traffic. That is where I pushed my baby to the limit. 152 was @ the bottom of a hill w/ a toll plaza a mile away, so i started to slow down. It was simply thrilling

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rikter8 said:
Production cars are no fun.

I also agree with the needless ticket statement. I don't have any points for speeding, as I do it when/where it is appropriate.
point 1: you obviously have never driven my car before.

point 2: you obviously have never driven anywhere in Northern Virginia before. My last ticket: 41 in a 35 where everyone else probably drives 45 or 50. and there are tons of cops all over the rural highways, even at 4 in the morning.