Speedophobia

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by muscleboy9, May 27, 2007.

1. muscleboy9

muscleboy9 Member

Speedophobia is an excellent article on the history of men's swimming suits and how speedophobia developed in the United States.

Be sure to read the comments at the end of this article.

How something so sexy, sensual, practical and comfortable as a Speedo has become a taboo in the USA is beyond me. I just wonder if the metastasizing American trend toward equivalent of the burka on men will ever reverse. It's frightening and sad.

http://www.out.com/detail.asp?id=22203

JackM likes this.
  2. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for the topic muscleboy9. I was born in 1951 and have seen many styles come and go over the years and the decades. Until the late '80s, a guy's swimsuit never had an inseam over 4". Now that inseam is at least 14". Same with basketball shorts. You think they're hot now (Yes!) - they were even hotter 30 years ago with 3" inseams that showed the players' muscular legs. Guys are not powerless in this situation. There are a number of things we can do to reverse the double fashion standard at the beach and the pool. It won't change overnight, but we can speed it along.

1. Vote with the dollar bill when you buy your swimsuit - get something that shows the hard work of your fitness program. If you don't feel good about wearing lycra, you can get more modest nylon or double dry running shorts with a short inseam that will work fine at the beach or pool. Many styles include a liner. Basic mesh gym shorts are another possibility. Despite their coverage, they are still very sexy especially when wet. Get the shorter 6" inseam length for swimming instead of the 9" or 10".

2. Have your boardshorts hemmed to a 6" inseam. They will feel better and work better on a surfboard or in the ocean than the ones that are tight on your knees when you move around. You can still have current syles and brands with a retro look. Other guys will ask where you bought them.

3. Don't let your girl / wife tell you how to dress for swimming. Only your mother has that right and it should end once you turn 18 if not sooner. If she's adamant, tell her the coverage rule applies to both of you. If you have to dress to your knees than so does she. If guys put their foot down, things will relax quickly. I realize that the women on LPSG are more accepting of male sexuality than the average woman on the beach, so no offense ladies!

I would like to see more widespread appreciation for the male form in public, especially at the beach or pool. It's time to reverse this puritanical cover up trend.

glansout likes this.
  3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've observed swimsuit fashion trends in the US for decades. I have always been puzzled why it was considered OK for women to swim in skimpy, clingy v-cut bikinis that covered less far less skin than the bra/panties they normally wore under their clothing. But guys who wore even standard cut speedos were considered perverts and treated as such.

BTW, I agree with SanDiegoBoxerGuy's suggestions. I refuse to ever wear those ridiculously long board shorts. Fashion designers are probably laughing their asses off behind the scenes.

4. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

That is a good link about what has happened to mens swim wear. I know the duty manager at the place where I swim so I found out what otherwise may have remained a secret. There are some guys where I swim who are uncomfortable with what I wear. I do not go swimming early in the day when there are teams of school aged children as they probably do not need to see what I am packing, but later in the evening when the older teams practice I have not worried too much; after all they are (mostly) in speedos.

My gym is where the swim teams, divers, and water polo players all train so I did not think much of wearing a speedo; especially because I do actually SWIM in it. It is a N2N, it is yellow, it does have a pouch and I do fill it out. It started with a lifeguard who complained that I was in a “thong.” I said that the suit is full cut at the back (it is the toggle if anybody is familiar.) The next day after she had a discussion with the lifeguard it went to “it makes some of the water polo players blush.” I laughed and said that if that was the case I should probably also avoid the showers for fear of making them uncomfortable. Finally the next day it was that it “is not cut full enough at the front.” Yes, it covers everything and because it has a pouch it covers it better than most unless I were to get hard on deck. And yes, it does show my assets, but making the water polo players blush?!? :rolleyes:

Oh, and the question posed to the duty manager? “Is he foreign or gay?” Because as we all know, if a guy shows a bulge he must be one or the other, even at a competitive swimming facility. Anyhow, though I will not wear board shorts to swim and a speedo brand suit is not comfortable I may order something else from N2N that is not yellow. I am a little surprised that even a site about speedos seems to suggest that I am likely gay because of my choice of swim wear (combined with the fact that I am in North America and not Australia or Europe.) There was another site that I had read somewhat recently that said that it was a “sure sign that a man is gay (if he wears a speedo.) Both are “gay” sites and both seem to have sided with the lifeguard; I am either foreign or gay- and I was born in Canada...

5. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    Dolf, I think you did nothing wrong. It's a swimming facility for crying out loud!!! I say let the people look.

What was the (female) lifeguard wearing? Maybe she was showing too much cleavage or her bellybutton? If she was, she might have corrupted the minds of the younger swimmers (trying to sound sarcastic).

Unfortunately, we also have our puritans.

6. Chicago_Swimmer

Chicago_Swimmer New Member

Albums:
    Americans, by an large (myslef included), are insecure about their sexuality and their physiques. Men wearing speedos do not help with this insecurity. This is why people are uncomfortable with men wearing them.

This summer, for the first time in my life, I will wear a speedo to the beach and the pool. I have never felt comfortable doing this before.

Have some patience and understanding for those not yet comfortable with men in speedos.

Robert

7. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Maybe. Or maybe they just think some things are gross. Not all aesthetic evaluations are based on "insecurities" - not even in America.

Since I'm not a beach bunny and never hang out at pools, the only place I ever see speedos in real life is in the center of town on some tourists from Quebec. These tourists from Quebec don't make me feel in the slightest way "insecure"; they make me feel mildly grossed out.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

The ’80s saw a steep rise in the American male’s awareness of gays—and with it his desire not to be mistaken for one by in any way signaling that he had an ass and a packet. Baggy shorts are a deliberate and cruel affront to homos—but it’s nice to know that straight men are thinking about us so much.

I think that the above point, taken from the OP's reference, is the big reason behind the trend away from speedos.
    When gays were rare and hidden, then all sexual show was for the opposite sex.
    When it became clear that they were not so rare and much less hidden, then the defensive barriers went up.

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

Funny how the trend for swimsuits to cover up more coincides with Americans being the fattest they've ever been in history. Them fat kids are everywhere and guess what? - they are the ones wearing board shorts and baggy clothes. Board shorts and a baggy T's are the equivalent of MuuMuu's for guys. What started out as a surfers necessity to prevent legs for being scratched on surfboards has become the new fashion trend. I think Mark Spitz did that for the Speedo - remember that iconic American flag Speedo from the Olympics?

Fashion aside - have you ever tried swimming laps in board shorts? Uhg. No, it's a Speedo or nothing for me. I think you'd be laughed out of the pool if you showed up for masters swim practice wearing those things. If you are modest just wear a dark pair - they hide more by not showing any shadows of your manhood. In the water who cares? Speedo's also act as a sort of corset compressing that bulge making you more aquadynamic- penis down is best.

10. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hate being one of those "yep, what he said" people, but...

Yup. What he said.

11. earllogjam

Gold Member

You think Speedo's were labeled or identified as a gay thing so now no self-respecting straight guy wants to wear them? Lots of gay guys still wear revealing swimwear.

I guess it's a fate worse than death if you are straight and someone yells out on the beach - "Hey homo with the Speedo!"

12. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    Big dirigible, you have a point.

13. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anyone should be pleased to be taken for gay.

14. earllogjam

Gold Member

Some practical reasons Speedo's have gone out style is that they are just following a general trend in the last 20 years for more comfortable less constrictive clothing and the fact that the all body tan is no longer a status of beauty with most heeding cancer warnings.

Do straight men really care if gay men find their bulge in speedos attractive? Something inside me says they can care less. I think straight guys show off their bulges regarless of whether or not gay men are in the room - no defense barriers there.

Titan - Yes, Speedos look good on any well built man such as yourself. It helps to have meaty thighs and a butt. I am assuming you already have the bulge.

15. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Only if it helps me to get chicks. :wink:

But, even gay people who meet me say, "He's sooo straight..." One of my neighbors says that he's going to turn me, too.. lol

16. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    There's nothing less restrictive than not having loose fabric clinging to one's limbs. A Speedo suit covers only the portion that doesn't move much at all, leaving the legs to move freely. And, since they don't balloon up with pockets of air or drag in the water, they're much less likely to slip off accidentally. Speedos are very practical swimwear.

That hasn't stopped people from hanging around in long board shorts while going shirtless, though.

The anti-Speedo opinion, to me, is purely anti-gay. There's really no practical reason to avoid them.

Which sucks, because I like how they feel. I'm settling for short shorts and squarecuts these days.

17. earllogjam

Gold Member

18. FUNINTHESUN

FUNINTHESUN Active Member

Albums:
    MY GF LUVS AND REQUESTS THAT I WEAR A SPEEDO STYLE SUITS...THEY ARE HARD TO FIND THAT DON'T LEAVE A GAP BETWEEN YOUR PACKAGE AND LEG BUT I HAVE FOUND SOME...I THINK THERE'S A PIC IN MY GALLERY... I WEAR SPEEDOS WHEN I AM IN PUBLIC BUT I AM IN THE BUFF IN MY BACKYARD:wink:

19. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Eh, it was ruined before you said anything. :wink:

20. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Oh, puhlease. Equivalent to the burka? The poster of that comment needs to grow some perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted