Speedos, Bulges: the Evidence

josty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Breasts and dicks aren't the same; comparing bikinis/cleavage to cock bulge just doesn't make sense. That said it's just a fashion thing right now. 20+ years ago briefs were much more common than they are now. The trends are moving slowly back towards skimpier suits for guys - shorts are getting shorter (they're actually shorts now!) and swimming as a sport is getting more popular (thanks Michael Phelps!) so more kids are used to wearing briefs. Wear whatever makes you comfortable. Most people won't say anything.

11ish

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Speedo is better than someone wearing pants around their knees

Regrow123

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I was in France last month, been at several pools almost every day: young and old are only allowed to use the swimmingpool when wearing tight swimshorts or speedos. It is very normal in Europe. Why is it such a big problem for Americans? Is every woman wearing a bikini or tight swimsuit nice to see????? I have seen a lot of ugly people, does that mean that swimmingpools are only available for the onces that looks sexy?

Only reason I can think of why Ameriacans are so prude when it comes to speedos is because the American people are becoming the fattest in the whole world.
I agree, speedos are very acceptable in Europe, and are still popular with swim teams & swimming events in the States.

True many Americans are getting FAT. Speedos and fat don't mix well.

Maybe one reason speedos are viewed in a negative light by so many Americans, is that so many American are circumcised and the exposed head of the penis can easily be seen in speedos.

BTW, my wife would never be seen with me if I wore speedos or even tight shorts where my junk could be seen.

D

deleted797615

What I want to say is that it is not fair that men have to cover up in wide shorts. We do have a penis and balls, why should we hide that?
Reactions like in the start of this thread makes that you men become unsure and do a towel dance in lockerrooms.

You are so very right with what you are saying there, however its not all across europe, for example I am German and moved to England just under 8 years ago, it is unbelievable how many towel dancers there are in gyms especially the efforts and time it takes, which is enough for me to get fully changed.
When you walk along a beach you can distinguish nationalities by their swim wear which is rather amusing.

After all, everyone should wear what they are comfortable with and if they are proffesional towel dancers well its their business.

navywill83

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I agree, speedos are very acceptable in Europe, and are still popular with swim teams & swimming events in the States.

True many Americans are getting FAT. Speedos and fat don't mix well.

Maybe one reason speedos are viewed in a negative light by so many Americans, is that so many American are circumcised and the exposed head of the penis can easily be seen in speedos.

BTW, my wife would never be seen with me if I wore speedos or even tight shorts where my junk could be seen.

I disagree. Fat Americans or not... it is an American insecurity. The UK comes pretty close behind us in terms of levels of obesity and they hold onto the European mentality that a body is a body...and they get over it. Across Europe you will see many heavy men and women wearing speedo type suits and it is not a big deal. Bodies are just bodies to them.

And regarding the issue about Americans being circumcised and the round head showing through the speedo...this is not the norm. Most the time when you can see the head outline through the suit it is because the guy chose to cut out the liner in his suit to show off his assets or the guy is aroused. Cut or uncut, if you get hard in the suit you gonna give a show.:wink:

I agree with some of the earlier comments that as a society that is not afraid of exposure to violence, we need to not fear nudity and the human body. It would help a lot of young people form a normative identity and self esteem.

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My nephew is nine. He asked for a speedo because he gets very tan in the summer and he didn't like the tan-lines that were down to his knees from what is offered in shorts these days.
I see no problem with speedo style bathing suit and I think we in the United States need to be more liberal in what we allow for clothing.

Pye ....I think it great that your nephew wants to wear a speedo...just shows that not everyone follows the "rules of the majority".... Maybe he will lead the way as he grows up and help liberate guys from board shorts....
:smile:

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think that the cross-section of comments made here are both interesting and valid, and, agree strongly with several points:
1.) Americans are prudes, or, feel as if the only form of correct behavior is prudishness;
2.) Americans are more comfortable with violence than nudity;
3.) Americans associate nudity with sex - in part because the media have formed this association through their poorly written movies and tv shows.

I also think that Americans are far less comfortable with male nudity than female nudity; hence, the need to make dumb comments.

123scotty

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'd say get the networks to quit "bluring" out bulges and then we'll be the judge of too revealing.

i am really at a loss. networks blur out bulges because they are revealing ?. so i take it the olympic swimming must look out of focus during the mens events. this seems like censorship from the 20s when swimmer had to cover down to your knees. it is like in japan where they can show all woman's parts but pixilate mens. are men so insecure about seeing other mens parts they have to blur them out.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Americans don't wear speedos, not because they're prudes or fat, but because they don't like them. Even before the swim shorts came into fashion over the last 30 years or so, Americans didn't wear speedos. Look at pictures from the 40's through the 70's. Most people wore a tight swim trunk. Never a speedo. And, as an influential factor, almost no American woman wants to see her man in a speedo, even if he is in great shape. American women, I think, hate speedos more than do American men.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Americans are too comfortable with violence, and yet too UNcomfortable with skin. It should be the other way around- more skin, less blood.

Well said!
I too hate fuckin "board shorts" that completely cover your thighs and have that irritating hem that brushes up against the back of your knees. Really annoying!

I don't get our culture. We're violent but afraid of sex. Willing to let women dress like whores, but make guys dress like puritans. What the fuck is up with that?

stustu

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Went to the mall last night to walk because of the heat. Three teenaged girls walking around in extra extra short "daisy duke" jean shorts. Looked ridiculous. I could see one girls carmel toe without trying. And this was at the mall - not a beach!!!

ardus

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Having lived in Europe and of course being an American, I would say the following about American and European attitudes towards not just speedos but clothing and sexuality in general.

We, meaning of course Americans, ARE prudes. Our society is conservative in almost every way, especially in regards to anything that even comes close to resembling sex or sexuality. People who have not experienced both American and European societies often don't understand that there really are fundamental differences even though by and large the US and Europe have similar racial makeup, similar religion, and even though much of Europe doesn't speak English as their primary language, English education is cumpolsory in most places in Europe so most Europeans are if not comfortable with it, at least exposed to the language.
European society is much more liberal than American. I don't know what it comes from, but I know that it's true. As a result any question that can be interpreted in a conservative/liberal light will be slanted to the conservative side by most Americans and to the liberal side by most Europeans.

My own opinion. I like speedos. I like how they feel on me, and I like how they look on men who have nice bodies, and especially on men with big cocks. But that's just me. I own three of them, but I also own a couple pairs of trunks too because I don't want to be the only guy at a pool wearing speedos.
Richard

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Went to the mall last night to walk because of the heat. Three teenaged girls walking around in extra extra short "daisy duke" jean shorts. Looked ridiculous. I could see one girls carmel toe without trying. And this was at the mall - not a beach!!!

What was she doing with carmel between her toes?

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Having lived in Europe and of course being an American, I would say the following about American and European attitudes towards not just speedos but clothing and sexuality in general.

We, meaning of course Americans, ARE prudes. Our society is conservative in almost every way, especially in regards to anything that even comes close to resembling sex or sexuality....

Well, is there necessarily anything wrong with that? ;)

For there to be diversity in the world, whether as it applies to clothing or ideas, there have to be nations or societies that just think differently. And I think the world will survive its differences on speedos. Besides, if Europeans love and adore their speedos and more risque clothing - hey that's fine! But does it have to make the U.S. repressed and backward because it doesn't?

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Americans don't wear speedos, not because they're prudes or fat, but because they don't like them. Even before the swim shorts came into fashion over the last 30 years or so, Americans didn't wear speedos. Look at pictures from the 40's through the 70's. Most people wore a tight swim trunk. Never a speedo. And, as an influential factor, almost no American woman wants to see her man in a speedo, even if he is in great shape. American women, I think, hate speedos more than do American men.

This.

I have never met a woman who likes a man in a Speedo. My daughters hate Speedos. Their girlfriends hate Speedos. I told my wife Speedos would be comfortable, because I have undershorts that are basically Speedos. She said no way, no how, never.

fliegles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think that the cross-section of comments made here are both interesting and valid, and, agree strongly with several points:
1.) Americans are prudes, or, feel as if the only form of correct behavior is prudishness;
2.) Americans are more comfortable with violence than nudity;
3.) Americans associate nudity with sex - in part because the media have formed this association through their poorly written movies and tv shows.

I also think that Americans are far less comfortable with male nudity than female nudity; hence, the need to make dumb comments.

Amen! No truer words were ever spoken. Americans have further problem, they cannot "live and let live", they seem to feel they have an inalienable right to criticize!

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It's a different story here because Canadians are generally liberal and more open-minded than Americans. Men are not scorned for wearing speedos. Some guys wear speedos whereas others wear board shorts-- it's their business. Live and let live.