Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DC_DEEP+Sep 19 2005, 08:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DC_DEEP &#064; Sep 19 2005, 08:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by headbang8@Sep 19 2005, 08:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DC_DEEP
@Sep 19 2005, 09:11 PM
I think those bastards are a bunch of bass turds.
[post=344590]Quoted post[/post]​
As opposed to treble turds? You see, without context I don&#39;t quite know what you mean.

Love ya,

hb8
[post=344598]Quoted post[/post]​
Nah, don&#39;t think musically here, think "fish." Ha, I know, I know. You understood and wanted to make a point. Which makes my point.

{...having this disturbing image of a striped (not stripped) bass fish playing a base (as opposed to spiritual) guitar...}

Again, simpler to learn the language correctly, rather than to simplify the language.
[post=344601]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

That&#39;s one of the problems with the English language as mentioned before. Does a person mean bass (fish) or bass (music). I took it to mean fish given the context and from the the pun of bass turd (bastard). Ah, those homonyms...

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DC_DEEP@Sep 19 2005, 08:39 AM
Millage rate is a tax. Percent is one-hundredth. Millage is one-thousandth. Many school districts assess property taxes in this manner. For instance, if your real and personal property assessed value is &#036;100,000 and your millage rate is 4, then your tax would be &#036;400.
[post=344603]Quoted post[/post]​

We do our school taxes here off of our car property taxes. When you register your car, or renew your car registration, you pay a property tax based on the book value of your car. The bulk of the property tax goes to the school district, with a small portion going to other things, such as the roads, the fire district, etc.
Unless you drive an old car, you will end up paying at least a couple hundred dollars a year, and if you drive a car that is classified as "luxury," heaven help you, because you get taxed at a higher rate. When I had my Audi, I got screwed every year with property taxes on it. It cost me more to register my car than the sales tax on the car when I bought it&#33;

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by headbang8@Sep 18 2005, 06:30 AM
Many members of the board are gracious enough to point out that for some posters, English isn&#39;t the mother tongue. Mistakes should be accepted--even encouraged; that&#39;s how you learn.
[post=344315]Quoted post[/post]​

Alright, look, I&#39;m too angry to read all of the replies by the dozens of freshly vindicated morons defending their right to spell poorly, but here are a couple of glaring flaws with your argument right off the bat...
a. Never admitting you make a mistake means you never learn anything.
b. If no one is allowed to address spelling errors in a general way for the fear of hurting someone&#39;s feelings, no one ever learns anything.
c. Everyone who should know better, and is just too lazy to spell and punctuate their posts on this board, and the internet at large, are just perpetuating bad behavior for no reason, and, in the long-run HURTING MY RETINAS.
d. Adults getting their feelings hurt because someone points out a spelling error is just more evidence of America (and probably the rest of the world, because of us) becoming too goddamn P.C. for our own good. Feelings really are the most important thing these days, huh? Not education, not reason, NO -- feelings.

I&#39;m so fucking sick of tiptoeing around this retarded shit, so I&#39;m going to finally come out with it...

If you&#39;re an adult, English is your first language, and you haven&#39;t recently had a lobotomy, there&#39;s no excuse under the sun for you to not at least try to spell common words correctly. You certainly have no excuse to defend your dumb ass for not spelling something right. Here&#39;s the heartache I go through when someone points out something I&#39;ve misspelled: I erase it, look it up if necessary, and write it correctly, making a mental note of how the word is spelled for next time.
THAT is how you learn something... NOT by ignoring the problem.
So sit on it and spin, everyone.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Absinthium, have I mentioned lately that I love you?

I agree with you, politically correct is usually neither, just simply used either to pander or to excuse laziness.

Attempts to "simplify" the language are senseless... the language will evolve in the direction it evolves. In the meantime, proper usage is always in style. I think we could agree that there are times and situations in which less-than-standard or vernacular or idiom is appropriate; but one should also be able to articulately write an entrance exam essay, or complete a job application with resume and cover letter. It really is not that difficult.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by headbang8@Sep 19 2005, 07:04 AM
I&#39;m surprised that no-one has picked up on the in-joke about ghoti. First person to cite it without googling it makes the honor roll. (Spelled honour, of course)
[post=344588]Quoted post[/post]​

Unless I&#39;m mistaken, the fish joke has been done here before.

Alley Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977+Sep 19 2005, 04:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyHammer1977 &#064; Sep 19 2005, 04:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hung Muscle@Sep 19 2005, 12:04 PM
Also noted is your spelling of "by."
[post=344577]Quoted post[/post]​

Also noted is your lack of irony.
[post=344652]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
:rofl:

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Item: Absinthium, you&#39;re great&#33;
Item: Asked by a kindergarten/first grade teacher what age we should start teaching spelling, I said as soon as they start writing (or printing). Our district&#39;s policy was feelings were the first priority and pointing out mistakes in early school hurt children. (Gag&#33;) This carried over to discipline also.
Item: Yes, sports seem to be more important to some than the child&#39;s education. Try being a responsible teacher and have the principal change the grade you give so a kid can play.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977+Sep 19 2005, 11:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyHammer1977 &#064; Sep 19 2005, 11:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hung Muscle@Sep 19 2005, 12:04 PM
Also noted is your spelling of "by."
[post=344577]Quoted post[/post]​

Also noted is your lack of irony.
[post=344652]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Also noted is the hot pic of your beautiful cock -- which incidentally is what this board is supposed to be about, not spelling.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper
There is a reason that I normally use British spellings. It has nothing to do with being snobbish or as an attempt to be elegant. English is not my native language: I did not grow up seeing English words with any real frequency. When I came to the United States, I wrote English according to the way I saw it printed in books. The spelling was American, and so was mine. When I began college and chose English literature as my major, the majority of my reading materials were printed in the UK, so guess which standard of spelling was used. I was so used to seeing British spelling and quoting passages from British sources in my assignments that using British spelling became first nature for me.
The point is that you use British spellings, but NOT British punctuation.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by taven@Sep 19 2005, 01:45 PM
Our district&#39;s policy was feelings were the first priority and pointing out mistakes in early school hurt children.

They&#39;re full of shit. Correcting spelling errors in children&#39;s formative years establishes good spelling habits rather than trying to change them when they&#39;re older and set in their ways.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick@Sep 19 2005, 02:31 PM
Ebonics makes perfect sense from a linguistics point of view.
[post=344698]Quoted post[/post]​

From a linguistic point of view, bad English is bad English. Even as a functional tool, language has rules of grammar, syntax and spelling. Ebonics willfully ignores those features, so is a renegade dialect. Orthodox linguists don&#39;t recognize Ebonics as anything more than a bastardisation of an established language.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper
From a linguistic point of view, bad English is bad English. Even as a functional tool, language has rules of grammar, syntax and spelling. Ebonics willfully ignores those features, so is a renegade dialect.
It&#39;s a dialect with its own grammar and syntax. Try again.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So what? Thank God for people who use language creatively and expand our vocabulary and ways of expression. How cool is it that we have tons of options for expressing an emotion or a thought and aren&#39;t confined to 260 words? How many words have crept into mainstream English through Ebonics or any other dialect?

Renegade dialect shmialect. Who cares? Who gives a rat&#39;s ass what orthodox linguistics think about the way people express themselves on LPSG?

Time for a reality check...

southPA50

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Sep 19 2005, 04:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Sep 19 2005, 04:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper
From a linguistic point of view, bad English is bad English. Even as a functional tool, language has rules of grammar, syntax and spelling. Ebonics willfully ignores those features, so is a renegade dialect.
[post=344729]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Perhaps you could &#39;splain how that works, Ebonics grammar?

For example, when I was walking in Annapolis a couple weekends ago and was asked by a teenaged girl, " &#39;scuse me, can I axe you sumfin? What kind a dogs them is?"

THAT has it&#39;s own grammar and syntax? Who writes *those* rules?

I would rather believe it&#39;s the lack of education and parental influence that perpetuates that sort of "dialect". If one of my kids would ever have used such horrendous grammar, they would have been corrected instantly; it simply wouldn&#39;t have been tolerated, the public school system notwithstanding.

Ebonics is simply an excuse to rationalize dumbing-down. &#39;Don&#39;t correct that poor child&#39;s hideous grammar, you might hurt their feelings, or cause them to lose self esteem.&#39; No, rather allow them to continue through life sounding like an uneducated sod, making excuses for their lack of education at every turn. They&#39;ll certainly go far with that help.

Sorry, it simply perpetuates the whole PC myth that the rest of the world has to lower it&#39;s standards to the lowest common denominator in order for the "underprivileged" to progress. I don&#39;t buy it. If you want to get ahead, better yourself; that starts with rising to a level above where you are, that requires education.

<steps down from milk crate>
And no, mine isn&#39;t perfect, either. But I make a righteous effort, and correct it when I learn it&#39;s wrong.

BuffMusicIdol

Just Browsing
Media
Great post, Headbang8.

If this were a music site, I would probably find a lot of great music buried in a mass pure harmonic shit. I&#39;ve edited and published almost 150,000 pages of music in 120 languages in the last 17 years. I eagerly find and accept beautiful melodies buried confused, nonsensical, novice attempts at adding harmony with melody. Yet, when the melody is heard and it is intrinsically beautiful, I can&#39;t put the whole work in the garbage because of harmonic ignorance.

When a good thought is expressed, but buried in grammatical ignorance, I still think there is something worth salvaging, and because of that, communication between two people (or more, as the case may be) can continue. It&#39;s a understood agreement that despite technical "flaws" because of differences in our fields of experience, that we can STILL communicate and find rewarding interaction.

As for DoubleMeatWhopper, I don&#39;t see why we can&#39;t take some friendly pointers from someone who is abundantly more qualified than most, and incorporate them as we are able. I find less offense in his critique than I do in those who criticise his preciseness about language. I see no malice in his writings on the whole, but do see some hurt feelings from people who feel threatened by his intelligence.

Can we, perhaps, put our collective egos away long enough to have a friendly discussion and act a bit more inclusive about it?

I&#39;m the world&#39;s best smart-ass. I publish in nearly two hundred languages, but I am only fluent in Southern Drawl and Pig Latin. I fear, having been born in Idaho that English is really only a second language to me. There is more than humor in that comment at times.

However, all that aside, I DO enjoy most of you very much. I come here for a bit of refuge, a probably belly laugh or two, and damned little about arguments.

Bottom line simply is, that spellings in English were never truly standardized until the 20th Century. We standardized them so we may communicate more precisely with each other. It&#39;s best not to shoot the messenger.

I didn&#39;t spell check this, and I didn&#39;t go through (thru, threw) it for grammatical details. I don&#39;t have time today.

I still think you are all generally groovy. I think we all make the sand box dirty at times, that&#39;s all.

:hi:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Sep 19 2005, 10:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Sep 19 2005, 10:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-headbang8@Sep 19 2005, 07:04 AM
I&#39;m surprised that no-one has picked up on the in-joke about ghoti.  First person to cite it without googling it makes the honor roll.  (Spelled honour, of course)
[post=344588]Quoted post[/post]​

Unless I&#39;m mistaken, the fish joke has been done here before.
[post=344674]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Or huge.
g as in lasagne
h as in hot
o as in move
t as in tao
i as in one pronunciation of soldier

Now what&#39;s a ghoughpteighbteau?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Sep 19 2005, 12:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Sep 19 2005, 12:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper
[post=344729]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Only in the absence of certain things like most conjugation (use of indicative mood instead of subjunctive, no concept of person, and often using present tense when it doesn&#39;t apply) or a declension of pronouns.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by absinthium@Sep 19 2005, 08:39 AM

angry....dozens of freshly vindicated morons....I&#39;m so fucking sick of tiptoeing around this retarded shit...

If you&#39;re an adult, English is your first language, and you haven&#39;t recently had a lobotomy, there&#39;s no excuse under the sun for you to not at least try to spell common words correctly. You certainly have no excuse to defend your dumb ass for not spelling something right.

So sit on it and spin, everyone.
[post=344614]Quoted post[/post]​

You&#39;re right in keeping with some of our veteran posters. I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll do well here and eventually rack up thousands of posts each year. Meanwhile, some might see in you another candidate for some anger management classes, but they&#39;re probably just dumb-asses, retarded shits, or morons.

Did you, for a second, stop to think that perhaps not everyone has the capacity to learn the way you do? Did it occur to you ever that everyone does not have the same abilities -- and perhaps the lack of perfect spelling and grammar are a sign of something other than being lazy? Would it shock you to find out that your rants and name-callings might do one of just two things: (1) have people believe you&#39;re actually a little nutty or an out-of-touch snob or (2) chase good-natured people away from the board who didn&#39;t know you needed a command of perfect English to post about big cocks on LPSG.

&#39;sheeeesh, lighten up.