Spent the last 24 hours violently ill

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Shit happens. :biggrin1:

Probably a reaction to the Leeds result. :tongue:

Hope you live though, Flash :smile:

Any consolation, I once spent three days on the bog in a -1 star dive in N. Africa, holding a bucket and not knowing which end it was coming through :eek: Ahh happy days.

Xochil~

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sorry about your tough day..Bro..make sure you re=hydrate and get your stomach fauna back to a normal state. Teas are good for you. And the info is appreciated! Hope you get to feeling bettah. ~

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
thanks for all the good advice and sympathies everyone...

i am feeling better today, no symptoms of the vomiting/diarrhea whatsoever...now, i am just super tired and very achey with a bit of a cough/sore throat from all the heaving...it was also accompanied by a bit of a fever...

i have of course been drinking lots of water, i had some coca cola and some ginger ale, because the bubbles are good for the stomach.

i also managed to have some toast with some jelly this morning, so that is good, as i had not eaten for 36 hours or so...

still at home, resting...i hope nobody else gets this.

I've had food poisoning literally more times than anyone I know so I know how horrible that is. I'm sorry you had to go through something even worse and glad you're on the mend.

thanks senor nick ocho....i seem to get it once every 5 years or so...but this definitely had to be something more powerful...i was absolutely convinced it was food poisoning until i spoke to my doctor and my mom, whose friend was telling her that she had been violently ill the other night...so it is definitely a bug going around. :frown1:

(hope you are doing okay too, more importantly)

My buddy's girlfriend had the same thing a few nights ago, they actually went to the emergency room because we feared it could have been something with her appendix. Same symptoms as you described, with pain behind her belly button. Hospital told them that there was something going around...

indeed skull, i briefly considered going to the ER, but i was literally convulsing so badly during the heaving i do not know what anyone could have done for me other than hold my hand...i honestly thought i was going to choke and pass out because i did not have time to breathe during the sequences...

fortunately, i did not have the pain your friend had...then i would have been even more scared

Sorry to hear about you being very ill. No time is a good time to be puking your guts out while you hold a trashcan on your stomach so your assplosions don't run off from the toilet.

None the less, look up a little about Rotavirus and see if that sounds like what you've been through.

indeed red...the being spit roasted by diarrhea and vomit is rather unpleasant to say the least :frown1:

i looked up that rotavirus, and my doctor said it is similar, but rota, apparently hangs around causing diarrhea alot longer.

whatever it is, i hope it goes away very quickly.
Yikes Flashy.

Sorry to hear about all that ugly business.

Hope you are feeling better. Good thoughts to you.

thanks man...i am better today...just really really tired and achey and stuff and i did not sleep all too well.

Flashy,

Feel better soon, man, and be vigilant. The only thing worse than what you're going through is to go through it twice.

Is the city Department of Health taking note, issuing any kind of alert?

thanks man...i am being very careful, and staying in and not doing much at all, to recover quicker i hope.

i am not sure what the Dept of Health is doing...i did a search yesterday and found nothing, though my normally more intrepid research may have been less than thorough due to fatigue and such

Sounds like the aptly-named Winter Vomiting Virus. Sympathies. There's not much you can do but endure it, luckily only for one day.

For cases of actual food-poisoning I swear by nettle tea. Yep, an infusion made from dried stinging-nettle leaves. Usually the cheapest herb tea at the health-food shop. It doesn't taste of much but it's very cleansing and soothing.

yes, thankfully the vomiting cycle was only 6 hours or so...i don't care to ever relive it...i know what you are talking about...the clinical name is Norovirus, and apparently, on your side of the pond a week ago over 500,000 folks had been admitted to the NHS for treatment of it.

I think, after having read up on it, you are right...this is exactly what it is...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/17/article-1244037-07E5FCDF000005DC-303_468x253_popup.jpg

You have my full sympathy Flashy. Both me and my Mother had the same two weeks ago. My Mother was due to fly home to the UK but had to stay on an extra week.

I called out the Doctor for both of us as I was worried about dehydration. Neither of us were even able to keep water down. The Doc gave us both injections which worked pretty quickly.

sounds pretty similar...and considering the outbreaks in the UK, maybe she brought it with her? apparently the time between infection and symptoms are an outer limit of 48 hours...had she just arrived a day or two before when you both became ill?

like you, i could not keep any liquid down, and having drank so much, i think that cotnributed to the unpleasantness of the expulsion of it...

Flashy watch some tennis, that may help:)

i have been luka...from my bed...watching Djokovic lose made me feel much better :biggrin1:

Sounds awful, Flash. :(

Actually...little sips of coke or pepsi are good after a sickness bug, cos it hydrates ya, and also restores some of the salts, sugar and vitamins you've lost. :)

Get well, bro.

thanks man...yes, the sodas like coke and ginger ale really help...the bubbles are good...

i just hope i don't give this to anyone...i am not going in to work the rest of the week as my partners said they would kill me if i gave it to them :redface:

Norovirus, was it? They can be pretty nasty. The only plus point is it usually clears up fairly quickly too. Hope you're OK. Keep your fluids up and try to get some electrolytes back into your body. When you feel like eating again, go for things like soup, rice and pasta which are fairly easy to digest.

i think that is exactly what it was, as MarkLondon said a couple posts up...sounds just like it..."violent projectile vomiting"...i felt like the guy in the Monty Python Meaning of Life who vomits all over everyone in the restaurant. :redface:

i am all about toast, tea, soda, rice and water at the moment.

Sorry I hope you are feeling in the pink very soon. It sounds similar to what I experienced when I foolishly thought it would be OK to order sushi in the dessert!:puke:

that does sound like a mistake...raw fish and extreme heat :redface:

Shit happens. :biggrin1:

Probably a reaction to the Leeds result. :tongue:

Hope you live though, Flash :smile:

Any consolation, I once spent three days on the bog in a -1 star dive in N. Africa, holding a bucket and not knowing which end it was coming through :eek: Ahh happy days.

well, if it was the leeds result it would have happened two weeks ago...City and Teveth more like. :tongue:

that africa trip sounds pleasant...do feel free to not invite me along next time you go :biggrin1:

Sorry about your tough day..Bro..make sure you re=hydrate and get your stomach fauna back to a normal state. Teas are good for you. And the info is appreciated! Hope you get to feeling bettah. ~

thanks and yes, i am all about re-hydration at the moment...the hot apple cinammon tea has been a big help.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I would get a vomiting bug as a kid, the only thing I could hold down -- and which helped get some strength back -- was Junket. It tastes good, too; Mom used to make it as dessert, the custard one. It's like a cross between jello and pudding.

It's not as common in stores today as it used to be, but it has an interesting history -- wikipedia has a cool description. Nowadays I just order it from the manufacturer and keep a few boxes on hand. I have raspberry and chocolate left... can I make you some? :smile:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey flashy, I'd strongly recommend taking some probiotics after you're feeling better. You need to replenish the good bacteria in your intestines. Yogurt works really well, and there are several good probiotic cereals out there. Last time I had food poisoning (resulting in diarhea), I was very gassy for awhile after that, until I had a lot of yogurt. Your body might not be able to properly digest some foods without those bacteria, which can be wiped out by the constant flushing of your intestines :)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey flashy, I'd strongly recommend taking some probiotics after you're feeling better. You need to replenish the good bacteria in your intestines. Yogurt works really well, and there are several good probiotic cereals out there. Last time I had food poisoning (resulting in diarhea), I was very gassy for awhile after that, until I had a lot of yogurt. Your body might not be able to properly digest some foods without those bacteria, which can be wiped out by the constant flushing of your intestines :)

thanks tom...yes, i did have a little plain vanilla yogurt for lunch.

apparently though this was not food poisoning, but i case of this "norovirus" that was mentioned early...that is what it had to have been.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry to here of your distress, it must have been horrible. I can't remember the last time I threw up without it being my own dumb fault,l As in whole bottles of Absolute or mixing shots with beer. Hope you are good to go now.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I add my sympathies to the list. Do you know for certain that it was food poisoning? Gatrointeritis is an absolute bear as well. IBS (Irritiable Bowel Syndrome) can also totally incapacitate as well. I have had that happen when I ate something for which my body had an intolerance. It too was on the level of an "Exorcist" remake. You can acquire food allergies and intolerances at any particular time.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I add my sympathies to the list. Do you know for certain that it was food poisoning? Gatrointeritis is an absolute bear as well. IBS (Irritiable Bowel Syndrome) can also totally incapacitate as well. I have had that happen when I ate something for which my body had an intolerance. It too was on the level of an "Exorcist" remake. You can acquire food allergies and intolerances at any particular time.

turned out to not be food poisoning...i have had food poisoning before, and it was nothing like this...this was pure evil.

i believe it was this norovirus, since my nephew (who is 6 mo.s old) got sick first, then i played with him, then i got violently ill and then his parents got sick too

it has apparently been causing lots of trouble here in NYC and other places.