sperm donors

jaime: Has anyone been a sperm donor? What does the process entail? I've heard about men donating sperm but am clueless as to the process involved. Any man out there with experience as a sperm donor care to elaborate?

txquis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm eagerly awaiting an answer, because i've always been curious about this.
when i was a kid and first heard about a sperm bank i thought....hrrmmm.
It fascinated me that there was a place you were *supposed* to go and wank, and everyone knew what you were doing and it was fine and dandy

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Since the advent of a Computer and the Internet in my home I have learned about Sperm Donations. I entered "Sperm Donor" and received many sites. One time I even entered "male sperm donor." Upon reflection I thought, how stupid I am. Of course you have to be a male to donate sperm. Generally speaking I have ascertained that you must be in great health and complete a series of questions on on-line or via mail forms. Of course you must be younger than a certain age. The last time I looked it was 35 years.

Of course sperm preservation is another whole new concept. For instance, members of the military may store sperm for future use just in case. But that is another subject.

Usually Sperm Banks desire a personal visit before hand to ascertain why you are motivated to do so. I would urge anyone interested to check out the various web-sites.

Additionally, I am aware that one can become a designated sperm donor. In this case you find a female who desires your sperm and you produce it in a clinical setting. Of course, there is always the old fashioned way. Personal Injection which was always fun for me.

TallHungLB

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Question for someone who knows. If Gay Men can't donate blood just because we are in a "high risk group." Can Gay Men donate sperm? If so, that's quite a contradiction I'd say. But I understand that since two different "groups" or "coucils" govern the Red Cross and whoever runs sperm donor programs, they will have different rules.

<stepping onto soap-box>
But it still pisses me off that they won&#39;t take my blood just cause I&#39;m gay (with no tatoo&#39;s or intraveinous drug use, or any disease they are afraid of...)
<stepping down off soap-box>

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, not just gay, but a man who has had (penetrative) sex with men.

Most fertility clinics don&#39;t allow gay men to donate sperm to anonymous women, but do allow sperm donations to women you know.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 24 2005, 03:44 PM
Well, not just gay, but a man who has had (penetrative) sex with men.

Most fertility clinics don&#39;t allow gay men to donate sperm to anonymous women, but do allow sperm donations to women you know.
[post=277039]Quoted post[/post]​

In fact, in certain such cases, where not overruled by state laws (such as those here in CA) a fertility clinic will impregnate an HIV-negative woman from a known HIV-positive donor of her designation. I knew of one couple who claimed to have this done, and referred to it as having the sperm "washed." I though they were B.S. -ing, until I did some research and discovered that not only is this actually practiced, but when performed properly seldom tramsits the HIV infection. In fact, in cases where husband and wife are capable of natural insemination, but the husband is HIV-positive, such artificial insemination procedures are probably the safest way of having children.

An article about this appears here:
http://www.thebody.com/tpan/septoct_03/positive_father.html

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Interesting. I worry about the morality of bringing children into the world when one of their parents is HIV-positive, though.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 25 2005, 10:40 PM
Interesting. I worry about the morality of bringing children into the world when one of their parents is HIV-positive, though.
[post=277470]Quoted post[/post]​

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry: :(

cypher13

Experimental Member
Media
I did this once, for the most notorious, infamous sperm bank of all. They needed an O negative donor with blonde hair (it was blonde then) and blue eyes.

Ah, the questionnaire: it was over twenty pages long&#33; Yes, they asked me if I was gay. They gave me mathematical problems to solve, to demonstrate mathematical ability. I had to submit samples of my drawing and painting, to verify "artistic talent." I had to take them into Tupper and Reed, a music shop in Berkeley and play a piano there to demonstrate my "musical talent" (the Brahms Rhapsody in B Minor was enough to convince them). They poked me and prodded me, measured my body fat and then felt me up again. I had to take a color vision test and, of all things, a Rorschach ("Uh, it looks like a bat&#33;"). They also took my blood pressure, right on the spot. The only thing I did not have to do was compose Alexandrine verses in my head while unicycling down University Avenue. And no, I cannot ride a unicycle. They said they would be in touch.

So, what did I do? I was prohibited from "donating elsewhere" for three days. I went to the Flamingo Motel in Berkeley and masturbated into a cup. The person sent to collect this gathered it in a syringe, remarked on the quantity and its appearance, then mixed it with egg white and some other material, and injected it into straws (mine were gray straws with red marks on them) and I became donor #28. I made well over two hundred straws of semen. For that, they paid for the motel room: &#036;31.00.

I know only about one recipient, for whom they needed the O negative donor...a (then) 42 year old superior court judge in Chicago. I know she got some of the juice and I know she was inseminated with it on more than one occasion. I do not believe any offspring resulted, from her or any other recipients.

Now I am too old to go that route and I do not need any ego reinforcements of that kind as I did twenty-five years ago.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
KinkGuy:
No, it just happens that I worry about the morality of bringing a child in the world when one of the child&#39;s parents has a 100% chance of dying before the child graduates high school.

cypher13:
O-negative for sperm? I can see negative, but O-negative? (Does ABO even lead to abortion?)

Socket4Plug

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 26 2005, 07:37 PM
KinkGuy:
No, it just happens that I worry about the morality of bringing a child in the world when one of the child&#39;s parents has a 100% chance of dying before the child graduates high school.
[post=277757]Quoted post[/post]​
A little off topic of the original post but...

First off, being HIV+ DOES NOT mean certain death. And no I&#39;m not but I have many friends that are - both gay and straight. Modern drugs, a healthy life style and a good attitude make a world of difference.

But building on your concern, does this mean that race car drivers, astronauts, active duty military, SWAT cops, firemen or anyone else involved in high-risk activities/profession or those with any form of terminal disease should not be able to have children either? What moral test are we to use to determine whom can/cannot have children?

I know plenty of both screwed up and well adjusted people that grew up with their two parents and plenty that had "broken" homes. Just because both parents are living and around day-to-day does not mean all will be champagne and roses.

cypher13

Experimental Member
Media
cypher13:
O-negative for sperm? I can see negative, but O-negative? (Does ABO even lead to abortion?)
[/quote]

The judge was an O negative herself, which makes her choices limited in that respect. I am a universal donor; she had had no children and always the first one and generally the first two are all right but by the third and subsequent pregnancies, erythroblastosis fetalis is likely enough that it must be taken into account. In her case, given her age, and the fact she was so set on having a child, the sperm bank proprietors went in quest of an O negative donor and found me.

Now, the problem can be addressed, but in her case it was thought better avoided in the first place.

If you are interested in reading about erythroblastosis fetalis,

http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00047220.html

seems like a pretty good online source. Alas, what I have written above was then about the limit of my knowledge in the field and I am sure the state of the art has advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 25 years.

I know both of my parents are o negatives and my mom told me her attending physician at my birth remarked they were the only such case in his many years of practice.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Socket4Plug+Jan 26 2005, 11:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Socket4Plug &#064; Jan 26 2005, 11:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Jan 26 2005, 07:37 PM
KinkGuy:
A little off topic of the original post but...

First off, being HIV+ DOES NOT mean certain death. And no I&#39;m not but I have many friends that are - both gay and straight. Modern drugs, a healthy life style and a good attitude make a world of difference.

But building on your concern, does this mean that race car drivers, astronauts, active duty military, SWAT cops, firemen or anyone else involved in high-risk activities/profession or those with any form of terminal disease should not be able to have children either? What moral test are we to use to determine whom can/cannot have children?

I know plenty of both screwed up and well adjusted people that grew up with their two parents and plenty that had "broken" homes. Just because both parents are living and around day-to-day does not mean all will be champagne and roses.
[post=277837]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Very well stated. Thank you, Socket&#33;

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
cypher:
I always thought it was just Rh. BTW, there are no O antigens. There are, however, H antigens; A and B are just H after a slight chemical change, so people with an O gene will have more H antigens. (There are a few, though, who have no A, B, or H. They&#39;re called Bombays.)

socket and KinkGuy:
You&#39;ve got to remember, not everyone can afford AIDS medication. I know I can&#39;t, so if I were to get HIV, I&#39;d be as good as dead. Of course, I also probably couldn&#39;t afford reproductive technologies. Maybe it&#39;s just Marxist sour grapes on my part, but the state of healthcare in America is a travesty.

Or, to quote South Park, "I ain&#39;t got a vacation house in Hawaii&#33;"

Socket4Plug

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 27 2005, 02:10 PM
snip...
Maybe it&#39;s just Marxist sour grapes on my part, but the state of healthcare in America is a travesty.
[post=277969]Quoted post[/post]​
I won&#39;t argue with you there. Don&#39;t believe it&#39;s gonna get any better over the next four years either&#33; It&#39;s likely to get far, far worse.

Spork

1st Like
Media
It&#39;s actually very difficult to become a sperm donor. Depending on the bank you talk to, only one out of every 10 or 20 people has high enough quality sperm for them to bother freezing it. By high quality, they mean extraordinarily high sperm count and concentration, and a good survival rate from the freezing and thawing. They do this so that they can get more usable samples per donor session, not because most people are infertile...the technology nowadays lets them impregnate almost anyone with almost anyone&#39;s sperm.

They&#39;ll usually make you give a test sample first, since so few people qualify.

Then there are all the medical questions, about your medical history and your family&#39;s medical history (should you get that far). Obviously they are very concerned with any genetic diseases you might carry.

Some are more concerned about getting a personality profile than others, which just want the basic statistics and educational level. A current trend is "identity-release", which means you are willing to be known to the offspring after they turn 18.

Then you come in as often as you are able, usually once or twice a week, for 6 months to a year. They only allow a certain number of offspring from each donor, and most banks won&#39;t take you as a donor if you&#39;ve already been a donor elsewhere.

iggy

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 27 2005, 08:37 AM

cypher13:

ABO can be secreted to body fluids semen, saliva... that if u are a secretor...

iggy

iggy

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
cypher13:

The judge was an O negative herself, which makes her choices limited in that respect. I am a universal donor; she had had no children and always the first one and generally the first two are all right but by the third and subsequent pregnancies, erythroblastosis fetalis is likely enough that it must be taken into account. In her case, given her age, and the fact she was so set on having a child, the sperm bank proprietors went in quest of an O negative donor and found me.

[post=277913]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

the father might be Rh positive... e. fetalis or hemolytic desease of the newborn occur if the mother is negative rh but has been previously exposed to the Rh antigen. the fetus is rh psoitive. She must have the Rh antibody. Normally, a rh neg person has no rh antibody, unlike the abo antibodies...

iggy

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, also, there are dozens of Rh types. It&#39;s one of the most complex blood groups in human biochemistry.