Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Yes it is...my younger brother just used it to help discover if he could get his wife pregnant again.
He had had a vastectomy but had it reversed and wanted to know if the reversal had been successful and if he again had a good sperm count.

As I understand it it is a bit tedious...can't have sex or masturbate for a couple of days before the test.....which he did not like...:biggrin:
But, his count was very good, and they are now awaiting the arrival of another child....

dbjones1969

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I have been trying to get one - "contravac home test post vasectomy" but they wont ship them to Canada.. uuuggghh had the snips done 4 yrs ago now and still no "oops" so I guess I am good to go.. ;) Let me know if you try one..

capsicum

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well, I've never tried them, but as far as I can see, there's no way they can be any good, except perhaps for the 'zero sperm count' vasectomy thing. But still, that's a risky way to do it.

If you're measuring because you're worried low fertility, then it's definitely a bad idea. What do they measure? Just cell number? There are so many other parameters that are measured in a semen analysis than just number. A good clinic will measure volume, pH, liquefaction time, sperm cell number, sperm cell shape, motility (i.e. how many are moving), directional motility (i.e. how many go in a straight line rather than in circles), morphology (i.e. proper shape, rather than tailless sperm 'heads'), WBC counts (i.e. signs of infection), fructose content, and possibly more.

In fact, the raw number of sperm has little to do with conception, unless the count is zero. For example, did you know that it's completely normal for your sperm sample to contain up to 96% defective sperm cells?

If you're just curious, then go ahead. If you actually have reason to be worried, then you should get a proper test done. Usually, "reason to be worried" is when you and your partner have been trying to conceive for at least 1 year without success.

Also, there's nothing to be embarrassed about - You can usually produce your own sample at home as long as you can get it to the clinic in an hour or less. They'll give you a form and a container. Also, the staff at these places do this kind of thing all day, every day, and they've been doing it for years. This is completely routine for them. The only other people that will be there are also going to be there for the same reason as you, so everyone's on a level playing field :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

Frodo46888

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Home medical tests for most things are usually of the "quick and dirty" type that measure just one or two factors and skip everything else that's done in a full analysis. If it was something I really wanted to know, I'd shell out the bucks for the real thing.

capsicum

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You could just find someone with a microscope and do the count yourself. Needs to have above 35% of the sperm that are properly motile.

A lay person can't measure 'properly motile', and there's LOTS of other measures that should be taken into account. See the post above...

chrimbo

1st Like
Media
I looked at mine under the microscope when I was 12 or so - can certainly ascertain whether or not there are plenty of mobile sperm there or not, but as Capsicum says, it's anyone's guess as to what a "properly" motile one does or doesn't do.

I guess a microscope would help determine if the vasectomy had been reversed tho - there'd be none there if not, wouldn't there?

Mr.Stout

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry for the confusion. Properly motile simply means that they are capable of swimming. With that said, when looking at them it is not uncommon to find many of the sperm poorly sjaped and having more then one tail. If even a laymen were to look in the scope they could see and scan for sperm quality. I teach this to my students all the time, it is not hard to do.

jupiter19

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I work in a lab and we use microscopes almost every day. I was working late one night and decided to check out my semen. I was absolutely blown away. It's an awesome and amazing sight to see your own sperm, billions of them swimming, all vigorously swimming like their life depends on it. If you ever have an opportunity to use a compound microscope I recommend it. It'll blow your mind.

Reactions: Glutehunter