Spermicidal Condoms vs. Non-Spermicidal Condoms?

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by NBRudy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. NBRudy

NBRudy New Member

Does anyone know how much spermicidal condoms actually reduce the risk of pregnancy (if at all). On the package, they didn't have statistics.

If it really helped that much, wouldn't all condoms be with spermicide?

What is your favorite type to use? Ribbed? Lubricated? Any other weird typed?

2. jonb

Gold Member

I guess some guys are allergic to spermicide.

3. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

Me for one. If I use one, it looks and feels like I poured a mild acid on my dick.

4. ericbear

Gold Member

Albums:
    There a number of reasons why a condom should NOT have spermacide. One is a possible allergy, or at least irritation due to the spermicide. The other is that spermicide, in particular the popular nonoxynol-9, has been found to increase the possibility of HIV transmission, despite early claims to the contrary. Therefore, only non-spermacidal condoms and lubricants are now suggested where HIV transmission prevention is a concern, particulary in the case of anal sex. There is now concern that the irritiation caused by N-9 may increase the transmission risk of other STDs as well.

The story with nonoxynol-9 is quite an interesting one. Early on, this spermicide was noted to destroy the HIV virus in the test tube. Therefore, manufacturers of condoms began promoting their nonoxynol-9 treated condoms as being particularly effective barriers against HIV, although no human testing had been done. It was later found that the vaginal irritation caused by the nonoxynol-9 produced entrance pathways for the virus that outweighed the destructive effect. When used for anal sex, the irritation and increased risk is much greater than with vaginal use. Therefore, the original claims turned out to be quite incorrect, and to the contrary, nonoxynol-9 actually increased the risk of HIV transmission, as well as possibly other STDs.

The first studies conducted by the WHO showed modestly increased HIV transmission risk among female prostitutes who were frequently exposed to N-9 (as many as 20 tricks a day). At first, there was little evidence that lesser exposure (for example, once-a-day sex) would pose the same increased risk. However, subsequent research has shown increased risk infection rates of various STDs (not only HIV) in women who are exposed to N-9, although still frequently. Further, it has been discovered that N-9 very rapidly damages rectal tissue. In as little as 15 mintues of exposure, rectal tissue becomes significantly exfoliated, increasing the chance of STD transmission.

Therefore, there is no clear consensus on the use of N-9 for vaginal sex or ordinary frequency. However, it is generally agreed that products containing N-9 should not be used for anal sex.

For a discussion of N-9 provided by the King County (WA) Board of Health, follow this link: http://www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/infogram...xynol9-0403.htm

From the Canadian Board of Health: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/pphb-dgspsp/publica...onoxynol_e.html

The CDC (www.cdc.gov) also has a wealth of information about nonoxynol-9, but not as concise as the summaries above.

5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe New Member

My choice (if I am on the receiving end) is either plain or vanilla flavored. :p

6. Imported

Gold Member

Goon: My ex-girlfriend was allergic to spermicide. Her pussy used to get hot and start foaming and bubbling. It actually made noise. She was horrified, I thought it was hilarious.

7. dave2006

dave2006 New Member

i always use condoms with spermcide just as another source of prevention

Draft saved Draft deleted