SPIRITUALISM whats the opinion?

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
What are the views on spiritualism?

I went to a spiritualist church earlier, the medium came to me and told me things that they could never have known.

He also brought up a birthday with the correct date and name of a gt grandparent.

He named one of my pets ( who had an usual name) and said that there was two which is correct.

Other bits of information, also a hospital appointment that i have next week and general health problems i am having.

I was so shocked, how would they know these things?
Does anyone have any involvement or experience of spiritualist's?.

Whats the view?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I don't really believe in any of this, but I have had a similar interesting experience.
About 20 years ago, I went to a channeller.
This person claimed to take on the voice of an entity whose name I forget. (I have a tape of the encounter somewhere so could find out, but whatevuh ...)
Speaking, allegedly, in the entity's voice, she told me quite a lot about myself that she shouldn't have known.
I made certain statements which 'the entity' completed.
Certain things I said were called confusing, and more accurate and detailed rewordings came from 'the entity.'
It was all a bit spooky.
To be fair, I should mention that a friend had already seen this channeller and given me her telephone number.
It's possible that my friend discussed my case with her.
I'm not saying that happened ... but it is a possibility (though they weren't friends at all and I don't know what motive my friend would have for spilling the beans).
All very strange.

King_ding_a_ling

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Depends on what you want to believe really. In the end it all boils down to an individuals perception. I've walked up to people and told them their personality/religion/etc. before I even started talking to them in depth. The more perceptive you are to a person the more you can pick up on clues.

Examples of fakes:
SurfTheChannel - Penn & Teller: Bullshit! - Season 1 Episode 1

With that said, I am considered a Shaman in my beliefs and consider myself very in touch with the world and people's energies. I think that though there is a possibility that your experiance could have been genuine in nature there are many scam artists out there.

Also, with any spiritual guidance or fortune reading I would like to attach a disclaimer. Please don't use them as a source of complete guidance in your lives but look at them as a mirror with which to see things that may have otherwise gone unseen.

May your god/goddess/ or diety bring you good fortune and I hope that I helped.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm confused. You mention going to church which I associate with religion. Then you start talking about psychics and mediums. One has nothing to do with the other. Real churches don't have mediums. I don't go to church to have my mind read or have the pastor tell me obscure facts about my past. :no:

Okay I stand corrected. Just googled the Spiritualist Church, apparently it is a religion. :rolleyes: Speaking as a Methodist it sounds like snake oil and hocum to me. I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. :no:

What is it you seek to know? What on earth made you think a parlor trick or mall psychic could show you the way?:confused:

I'm confused. You mention going to church which I associate with religion. Then you start talking about psychics and mediums. One has nothing to do with the other. Real churches don't have mediums. I don't go to church to have my mind read or have the pastor tell me obscure facts about my past. :no:

Okay I stand corrected. Just googled the Spiritualist Church, apparently it is a religion. :rolleyes: Speaking as a Methodist it sounds like snake oil and hocum to me. I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. :no:

What is it you seek to know? What on earth made you think a parlor trick or mall psychic could show you the way?:confused:

What on earth made you think a Jewish carpenter from 2000 years ago could show you the way?

It's all equivocal. At least with spiritualism you get a demo of the goods rather than a promise that you'll only find out if you win when you die. You go to church to hear what the minister says God believes. How is that any different? Why not just ask God yourself? A few thousand Christian denominations all believe they have the right idea of what God is saying. What makes you certain the Methodists have it right?

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I believe in many different occult ideologies. Psychics being one, feng shui, reiki, tarot, pendulums, astrology and a host of others. My psychic happens to be Catholic. That's all I'm gonna say.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What on earth made you think a Jewish carpenter from 2000 years ago could show you the way?

It's all equivocal. At least with spiritualism you get a demo of the goods rather than a promise that you'll only find out if you win when you die. You go to church to hear what the minister says God believes. How is that any different? Why not just ask God yourself? A few thousand Christian denominations all believe they have the right idea of what God is saying. What makes you certain the Methodists have it right?

Because we're all going to heaven, not the Catholics. :tongue: :rolleyes:

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What are the views on spiritualism?

I was so shocked, how would they know these things?
Does anyone have any involvement or experience of spiritualist's?.

Whats the view?

Spiritualists, mediums, psychics, channellers all employ cold reading, hot reading, tricks, and understanding of psychology to perform their brand of charlatanry. People unfamiliar with how smooth the tricks are can easily misremember how much information *they* provide to the psychic, and the results can be convincing.

I would suggest that you read up on cold-reading techniques, understand how psychics perform their tricks. Once you understand what to look for, then go back to another spiritualist church armed with the knowledge of what to look for and see if they can perform similarly. If you're still convinced that something is supernatural after that, then let's talk.

It's fun to believe that supernatural powers exist. But under close scrutiny, they always turn out to be something else.

D_Tilly_De_Toilet

Experimental Member
Media
Spiritualists, mediums, psychics, channellers all employ cold reading, hot reading, tricks, and understanding of psychology to perform their brand of charlatanry. People unfamiliar with how smooth the tricks are can easily misremember how much information *they* provide to the psychic, and the results can be convincing.

I know Houdini spent a good deal of time debunking various bullshit artists. He even has a book about it:

Amazon.com: Houdini: A Magician Among the Spirits (9781589638952): Harry Houdini: Books

I would suggest that you read up on cold-reading techniques, understand how psychics perform their tricks. Once you understand what to look for, then go back to another spiritualist church armed with the knowledge of what to look for and see if they can perform similarly. If you're still convinced that something is supernatural after that, then let's talk.

It's fun to believe that supernatural powers exist. But under close scrutiny, they always turn out to be something else.

Not entirely true. I'm an honest tarot reader and if I do any cold or hot reading then it must be subliminal because I've never studied the techniques. I don't charge anyone either. I've been to psychics who nailed a bunch of stuff right away and others who missed the targets by miles. I think there are people who are good at psychic reading and lots of people who are bad at it. You just have to find one that's good at it and learn not to give tells to the reader. With luck you'll find one.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There you have it!

Seriously though, I do believe that some people have psychic or psychometry abilities. Do I believe every palm reader and alleged psychic I go to? No, I do not. There are far too many charlatans out there and I am at heart a skeptic. However, that belief in other worldly or occult things is compartmentalized away from my religious beliefs. It has never occurred to me to join the two. I'm not sure how that would benefit me. :confused:

Seriously though, I do believe that some people have psychic or psychometry abilities. Do I believe every palm reader and alleged psychic I go to? No, I do not. There are far too many charlatans out there and I am at heart a skeptic. However, that belief in other worldly or occult things is compartmentalized away from my religious beliefs. It has never occurred to me to join the two. I'm not sure how that would benefit me. :confused:

Maybe it wouldn't. I don't know. Some sects look dimly upon psychics and the like as being tools of Satan. I don't know what the Methodist church says about it. I don't see time as necessarily being linear anyway so I don't know why it's such a stretch to imagine that some people are more conscious of it than others.

The Spiritualist movement was born straight out of the horror of the Civil War where so many families lost so many men. It came at precisely the same time as photography was beginning to become more affordable and widely practiced as well. The two together, along with the miracle of the telegraph, heralded a new era of technology which amazed the average person no end. People wanted to hear from their loved ones on the other side, they wanted desperately to believe they wouldn't have to let them go. In their desperation, they turned to the burgeoning psychic movement which had sprung from such national sensations as the Fox Sisters and, later, the Bell Witch. Traditional religion was, for many, unsatisfactory in light of the carnage of the Civil War.

There were charlatans aplenty all over the place using very crude techniques to supposedly contact and interact with the spirit world. You can see from these pictures just how crude some of the spirit photography was yet people, many of whom were very willing to believe, were taken in. Double exposures were used, sometimes outright cutouts from magazines or other photographs, sometimes images which were supposed to be of dead loved ones but didn't resemble them at all, were said to be, "spirits in their true form as they should have looked on earth." And people bought it! Then came ouija boards and seances and stage shows and again, people just flocked to it. When radio was invented, spiritualism grew again because spiritualists were quick to point out that if we can broadcast our voices through the ether, than why not the dead?!

Houdini was a huge debunker of spiritualism but Arthur Conan Doyle, the inventor of Sherlock Holmes, was a big fan. Spiritualism faded in popularity but was buoyed again during and just after the world wars, again largely by people who had prematurely lost loved ones. It never became as big as it once was, as people became more technically inclined, but by the late 60s it was again gaining in popularity because, after all, God was dead and the upheaval in the world was being poorly addressed by churches. It really never went away though it rises and falls in popularity. I don't know what a spiritualist church is like. I'd be curious to know.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[/B]

LMFAO!
Years ago, my then husband was Roman Catholic and he up and decided to become Baptist. His niece asked him if he was "a Christian or a Catholic".....

Sorry back on topic.

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
[/B]

LMFAO!
Years ago, my then husband was Roman Catholic and he up and decided to become Baptist. His niece asked him if he was "a Christian or a Catholic".....
*GASP*

Shame on both of you! Methinks me needs ta polish my beechwood paddle so that some tushies can be tanned :biggrin1:

I believe in spiritualism (in the sense of the existence of a spiritual realm and people being able to access it). I reserve judgment on it because like with most other dimensions of life, it's best to judge a tree by the fruit that it bears; if it builds people up and brings about good, then who am I to judge? If the opposite is true, then I'd suggest that my loved ones not to participate in it...though I would have no right to impose my thoughts and feelings etc on them and I wouldn't think any less of them if they decided to go ahead and give things a try. I wouldn't get involved in it because I just don't see any need for it...and because I respect the spiritual realm, so I'm loathe to mess around with something that I don't know much about.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mediums are in it for the money. Not one of them throughout its short history has written a cogent or even methodologically acceptable threaties on the phenomenon. Yes I guess the same could be said for the established churches, but many mediums prey on the vunerable and bereft. They are good psychologists. As for their showbiz presentation that tells us all. How does it enhance my soul or sprituality by some wazzock guessing correctly the name of my favourite gun dog, or my great grandfather's profession?

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Mediums are in it for the money. Not one of them throughout its short history has written a cogent or even methodologically acceptable threaties on the phenomenon. Yes I guess the same could be said for the established churches, but many mediums prey on the vunerable and bereft. They are good psychologists. As for their showbiz presentation that tells us all. How does it enhance my soul or sprituality by some wazzock guessing correctly the name of my favourite gun dog, or my great grandfather's profession?

Thanks S_Torpedo, the church i went to was free, no money was exchanged at all.I don't feel vulnerable, i was quite happy just sat there when the medium came to me, i gave no information what so ever. It was strange as to how he guessed my dogs name, out of all the names he could use he got the correct one (Target).He got the correct date of a birthday and the name of a Gt grandparent though not a profession, although he did mention bricks and a trowel, after speaking with my Mom, she said he was a bricklayer??. It was just so strange, also remembered i was on a baked bean diet the other week and he told me that.

I guess people can read what they want to read into it, just seems a bit coincidental to me.

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been to some very good spiritualist mediums, and used to go to a spiritualist church years ago when I first got interested in it all.

One particular medium knew stuff about my Grandparents it would really be impossible to know. She also knew that occassionally I could smell them in my house (not that they smelled bad, I just get a really strong smell of their house). She was so good that it left me wondering if there really IS an after life. By the way, when we phoned to book she told us not to tell her our last names and was from a town miles from us.

I've also been told by almost all the mediums I've visited that I have "the gift", but that it won't be obvious to me until I'm in my 40s or 50s.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Spiritualism forms a key part of my philosophy and ethics, but since anything else I could add would be totally subjective in nature, I'll refrain from any further commentary except to say that our lives are subject to elements over which we have no control. Some prefer to see these elements as directed by consciousness, many do not.