Sports & Modesty & Age?

Guy@naPrince

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A guy at the gym brought his fifteen year old with him and was asked not to do it anymore by the management.

When they were walking back from the showers, the father went into a tirade about everybody covering up. "What the fuck y'all doin? This a fifteen year old kid! Cover yo ass up!" An old guy said the kid had no business being there in the first place, but, the father wasn't hearing it and went on cussing out everybody in the lockerroom, while he and his kid got dressed.

Before they left the LR, one of the asst. managers showed up and told him not to bring the kid back - told him he was responsible for anything his son sees or does on premises and that the gym wasn't liable. The father argued with him, threatened to get the guy fired, cussed out some more of us and stormed out.

No hard feelings here; the guy was just being a dad. I think the Mark Foley business has most parents inside the Beltway a little antsy. Just the same, I'm glad he's gone.

If I've got to cover up everytime a family comes in together, I'd just as soon change up in the women's LR. :wink:

robmass42

Experimental Member
Media
I take my 13 year old son with me to my gym. Nobody minds, and my son has a mature attitude about all of it.

That said, I don't have him in the steamroom with me at 11:00 at night, when things sometimes get friendly.

Golfbuddy

Expert Member
Media
This exact problem happened to me several years ago at a gym, but there were a couple of sons only 12 yo or so. The father was furious that some of us dared to go into the communal shower with dicks flopping! He wanted us to wait for the kids to get out.
This is a sad commentary on American society. We are all so hung up on nudity and sexuality. The rest of the western world is so much more mature about these matters. This is akin to the Texas teacher who was fired because on a field trip to an art museum some kid saw a painting of a nude. The US and the Arab countries are so fucked up because of these hangups about sex, nudity and the human body.
Good for the management telling the kid to not come back!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The man set quite a fine example for his son, right? He teaches the kid that naked bodies are a bad thing. He teaches the kid that cursing every customer and every employee is a good thing. He teaches the kid that you should never take responsibility for your own actions. He teaches the kid that the universe revolves around him. Just being a dad? I don't think so. How stupid do you have to be to go to a crowded public gym, and then get upset when guys change clothes and shower? What a freak.

robmass42

Experimental Member
Media
I keep my son away from situations where he doesn't belong, but I sure as hell don't ask other adults to alter their (socially acceptable) behavior on his behalf.

'I exist. Accomodate me'.

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm assuming that this guy had, at some point in his life, been to a gym before. Therefore should know that it's highly likely that in a changing room there will be some degree of nudity.

It was, in my opinion, completely out of order of the father to react so badly. And, given that there is now an increased awareness of the horrors that can befall children most gyms run sessions purely for children. They do here in the UK anyway, so perhaps the father should check that out.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
robmass42 said:
I keep my son away from situations where he doesn't belong, but I sure as hell don't ask other adults to alter their (socially acceptable) behavior on his behalf.

Unfortunately, that is what most parents are teaching their children these days. Other people only exist at your convenience. Everyone else must conform to your wishes.

Guy@naPrince

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I sure felt sorry for that kid. His dad kept yelling, and we just let him rant, because the guy started sounding nuts. Laughing at him just made it worse, and the kid looked like he could crawl under the floor.

Anyway, if the guy felt that way, the kid shouldn't have been there.

Back when I was coming up, my parents covered my eyes or made me cover my own damn eyes, if they didn't want me to see something. They took responsibility. What happened to that?

Guess that's the old way of doing things. :rolleyes:

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In a slightly different, but just as stupid situation, I said to the kid, "Don't worry, I won't hold your parent against you."

pmd7867

Experimental Member
Media
Don't you think that the father's behavior is not fear of his son seeing the male human body, but more likely homophobia?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
robmass42 said:
It'd be nice if the world DIDN'T think like that. :rolleyes:

pmd7867 said:
Don't you think that the father's behavior is not fear of his son seeing the male human body, but more likely homophobia?
I don't think it had anything to do with homophobia...that word gets thrown around almost as much as racism now...

The father probably thought it inappropriate to have a bunch of naked people around period. Some people are uncomfortable with bodies in general when not in a sexual situation. The father probably thought he was doing what was best for his son. In that case, the father probably felt it indecent to be naked around another person period. Not "OMG I'm don't want my son to have ghey thoughts!" I don't think it's anything to take offense to.

My stance is "When in Rome, blend in..." to the best of your ability of course. If you know people are going to be changing naked in a gym/locker room and you're uncomfortable with that, then don't put yourself in such a situation. It was definately the father's fault if he was scared for his son to see another naked person...but hey. *shrugs*

lellelind

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Guy@naPrince said:
A guy at the gym brought his fifteen year old with him and was asked not to do it anymore by the management.

When they were walking back from the showers, the father went into a tirade about everybody covering up. "What the fuck y'all doin? This a fifteen year old kid! Cover yo ass up!" An old guy said the kid had no business being there in the first place...

Very strange! I wonder what kind of gym that was when an old guy said that the kid had no business being there.

Guy@naPrince

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's the erroneous association most people make between gayness and pedophilia, which stems from the idea that homosexuality is a perversion, like pedophilia. In this logic, one must naturally follow the other.

The FBI stats report that some ninety-nine percent of pedophiles (or child preds) victimize children of the opposite sex. Of course, most people don't want you and I to know this or even want to know it, themselves.

The dad's just being a dad; got no hate for him, but, I'm glad management got this one right. Telling him to keep his kid at home was the right thing to do.

Guy@naPrince

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lellelind said:
Very strange! I wonder what kind of gym that was when an old guy said that the kid had no business being there.

That old guy had a good point. Why couldn't the guy leave his kid at the front desk, while he changed up, or skipped the shower altogether? Let the staff look after him for a few minutes.

Nobody made this moron walk his kid into a busy lockerroom.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nobody made this moron walk his kid into a busy lockerroom.[/quote]

Some parents are so wierd. Not long ago I was at a Japanese bathhouse. There were about 4 guys, and myself, sitting in the pool, naked as is the custom. In comes a father and his son, about 12 years old.

The father comes up to each of us there, introduces himself and his son. Thet come in, wade over to where each of us is sitting, they shake our hands, exchange names, etc.

They are standing, we are sitting through these introductions. The kid started growing a long skinny 45 degree semi-erection.

Every part of me wanted to yell out, "bloody hell dad, let the poor boy sit down!" My reaction was really about the fact that they didn't have to introduce themselves in quite such a formal German way. No one was offended or outraged about something normal happening. We all know that the timing of erections at that age is often uncontrollable.

Actually the son was great, and did a pretty good job of ignoring it. We all did. The dad, and I, had a pleasant chat later.

aquadude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't get what the big deal is, the kid was bound to see other guy's dicks at some point anyway if he hadnt already. At the age of 15 he should be mature enough to deal with having other naked men around in a locker room where nudity is expected. My dad had always taken me with him to the YMCA when I was little and he worked out and I had my swim lessons. We were in the locker room and nothing was ever wierd, I never thought anything of there being a bunch of naked guys around and my dad would do his regular thing of going into the steam room and showering while I changed, of course he would check up on me to make sure I was ok and all, (I started going with him when I was like 4). So I don't get what the big deal is about seeing a naked man and his dick at a younger age, we all have them.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hypolimnas said:
<...>
They are standing, we are sitting through these introductions. The kid started growing a long skinny 45 degree semi-erection.

Every part of me wanted to yell out, "bloody hell dad, let the poor boy sit down!" My reaction was really about the fact that they didn't have to introduce themselves in quite such a formal German way.<...>
Now, in retrospect, do you think he was teaching his son that erections happen, everyone gets them at some point or other, being naked is natural and ok? It may have been a bit uncomfortable for you, and perhaps for the boy, but no one got twisted about it, right? So the kid knows there is no reason to be uncomfortable in that situation. Maybe the father wanted the formal German introductions for that very reason.