Sports & Modesty

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is there a connection?
I added this to a thread on open showers.
The administration wanted coaches input on the current showers/locker room set up. It is very open with the showers and there is one large troth for pissing in. I like it very much as does the football coach and the swim coach.
The baseball, basketball and tennis coaches all think it is too open and their athletes would like privacy when naked.
This started a debate where the basketball coach said to me "Of course you are comfortable with it, you are a wrestler and a wrestling coach"
Are different sports athletes more modest with their bodies?
I wrestled and played rugby and football all my life. Are basketball or baseball players more shy with nudity?
Jake

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Good question, Jake! I look forward for the others to answer.

That remark from the coach about wrestlers might simply be his alluding to the fact that wrestler's attire shows more bulging (compared to other sports). So "wrestlers are more accustomed to revealing their goods" perhaps. Consequently, they're NOT as self-conscious (supposedly) in a locker room setting. Competive swimming would be another sport that "reveals". Basketball clothing has sure changed though, in the last decade. The baggier, longer-legged basketball outfits sure weren't around during my H.S. years! Back then, some guys on the court had plenty to worry about! And, suffice it to say, those watching the hoopshots (especially the girls!) were VERY attentive towards center court. -- But, times HAVE changed.

I dunno. Somehow, I believe men have never been as compelled to be so self- conscious about their bodies as they are today. Just think of it. With a constant barrage all around us... from those frequent TV sitcom jokes about "size" to the www and all its hype, not to mention those "info-mercials" with those super toned bodies on the gym equipment... it just seems (to me) that we men are constantly reminded of what we either have or don't have; what we show or don't show. Lots of men are left just plain scared to be seen nude, period. They'd rather DIE first! Or so it would seem:eek:

We've all read on here (and in other forums) of those accounts of men wearing their underwear in gym showers for pity sakes! :worried: Now, what does THAT tell us? Is THAT reflective of sound emotional behavior? Is it really? I'm not so convinced that it is. And, what about those newly constructed lockerrooms in schools these days which don't have the "gang showers" like those which existed when I went to school. Nowadays, there are privacy partitions and other enclosed settings in dressing and shower areas. Shoot. Taking a shower...is not always "required" (or, strictly enforced!) protocol, either. But, showers surely were mandated in my day in H.S. Phys. Ed.!

Understand here that I'm not knocking modesty and decency. I'm merely pointing out though, how times have changed. Such a paradox. We are more sexual as a society. Yet, we're more paranoid about how our bodies look and compare to others!---Women AND yes, Men, too. OH! --I think ESPECIALLY men. It's like we each carry some deep, dark secret that we're concerned about how we look to others. And, we do, too! --I think we ALL do IF we can just be honest about all this.

I still contend that we'd feel better about ourselves if we could just be more open and accepting of each other and how we are "built" as individuals.
This running around covered-up in towels and scared to death to be seen by other guys in a lockerroom just doesn't come across to me as all that healthy in the long run. But on the other hand, I can understand why it occurs because I was the very same way myself back in H.S.. From my reading about it, timidity and shyness seems so rampant in some lockerrooms today. I think it's worse than ever!. I worry for the younger guys especially and just wish they could overcome thei phobia! If allowed, this inhibition carries well into adulthood. Such thinking easily causes a plethora of self-esteem issues to set up shop. Believe me, I can surely tell you!

No. We don't seem to be a very healthy society these days when it comes to being happy with ourselves (i.e. our bodies). Sports is most certainly not the only element of "competitiveness" among men these days, you know?

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Jake,

I did both sports in HS; wrestling first, then baseball. I never thought much about if nudity was good or bad, more like "stink isn't good". The wrestlers were more at ease around each other than the baseball players. Our leading pitcher hated showering around other guys and avoided it if at all possible.

I'm studying acctg and not psychology, but maybe one reason is because of the types of sports involved? You are more hands-on (with your opponent) in wrestling and football as you try to win than the other sports. Maybe that isn't the whole answer, but one reason why some are more relaxed about their bodies in a lockerroom than others?? It'd be kind of weird to grapple with a stranger on a mat and then be a prude about your own body when in the presence of your friends.

You can find the same attitudes alive and well in the dorms. On the whole, you find more guys that are nudity-adverse than comfortable with it.

And, I don't know how much $$$ they're talking about spending to remodel your bathroom and showers, but if the showers are safe and meeting their primary goal (guys getting cleaned up and on their way) it sounds like it'd be money well wasted.

danny8x7

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
being only one year removed from high school, i can tell you that there seems to be no connection. At my school, the football players and wrestlers all seemed very open and showered nude and walked around the lockers nude, while other teams were much more private. however, ive heard from friends that at their schools the football team or the wrestling team is very private.

Reactions: bigbenis

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, I think that independently of who play what it should have options for both open and close showers and pee areas. Than athletes that choose some privacy could use individuals facilities.

Dont know the amount of bully that goes on in male invironments like that and the competition about penis sizes and comparisions comes to my mind now. This kind of situation can hurt male ego...even if he shows good performance in the sport he plays and can look tough outside...well, boys are always going to be boys with sex all hanging out to notice - but they 'deserve' to have some option of privacy if they choose too.

aquadude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
TitanicJake said:
Is there a connection?
The administration wanted coaches input on the current showers/locker room set up. It is very open with the showers and there is one large troth for pissing in. I like it very much as does the football coach and the swim coach.
The baseball, basketball and tennis coaches all think it is too open and their athletes would like privacy when naked.
This started a debate where the basketball coach said to me "Of course you are comfortable with it, you are a wrestler and a wrestling coach"
I wrestled and played rugby and football all my life. Are basketball or baseball players more shy with nudity?
Jake

Well that is an interesting question, because I guess if you think about it certain sports do require a little less modesty then others, for example a tennis player wears a hell of a lot more then a competative swimmer when they are competing.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
Back in the Stone Ages when I was playing basketball and football, there was no concern about communal showers, stall-less urinals and toilets, or walking around naked. After maybe a few uncomfortable moments in the eighth grade, everyone became blase about it. I know in some places there is more discomfort about it today, though. A coach friend of mine said that some of his players wear underwear into the showers. Neither of us understood what accounts for the increased modesty.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
COLJohn said:
Neither of us understood what accounts for the increased modesty.
My theory? Increasing awareness and fear of homosexuality, and the increasing awareness of the male body as sexual object that goes along with it.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Matthew said:
My theory? Increasing awareness and fear of homosexuality, and the increasing awareness of the male body as sexual object that goes along with it.

I think that is part of it. Plus, guys dads don't haul em off to do guy things. They just aren't comfortable being around other guys without clothes. Sad.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
TitanicJake said:
Is there a connection?
Jake

BOGUS!!!!!! This guy is trying to bust your balls and hint that wrestlers or swimmers are gay, whereas baseball/basketball players aren't. Fight him. This whole wierd unhealthy privacy about showers & pissing is just crap. (I was tempted to call it girly, but if he hassles you, tell him promoting neurotic wierdness about privacy in a lockerroom contributes to the feminization of males. That might slow him down.)

We need more common sense about nudity in the puritanical states, not less. Naked bodies do not mean a thing, and there is nothing that makes a dick more sacred than a nose. Idiot politicians like to pretend that catching a glimpse of a naked body is far worse than violence or injustice or economic strangleholds. That is pure political theater. The reality is that a naked body is just a naked body.

Why don't you see if you can re-introduce naked swimming like they had in the glory days while you're at it? Seems to me it didn't hurt the "greatest generation" very much. Unless of course people were real men back then who could handle the sight of a dick and we are all traumatized nuns.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As a gay guy, I guess my thoughts on open showers and urinals may seem self interesting although I do think it is best for kids to grow up not being ashamed of their body. I do however feel toilets should be private (I don't know many who care to watch guys shit!)
Had my Dad taken me to the bathrooms when traveling or shopping, I might not have developed my pee shyness. I would have viewed it more as a natural thing and been able now to do it in front of others.
Dads...are you listening?

stanley9

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You know, I think you have to define what is 'modesty'. Here in Tampa, which is a bastion of conservative, status quo culture (no cutting edges here, I assure you) I find it noticable that newspaper ads for underwear for men and woman are so different. For woman, it seems that it is no propblem to see huge close up photos of models in bras and panties. However, for men, the ads are always super small photos, if at all, and sometimes just a photo of the package - no actual model. I think that is so strange in a culture that was so male dominated for eons that laws had to be enacted to prevent woman from being held down, and yet there is no culturally accepted openness to viewing the male body in underwear. Just waaay to uncool I guess. Now, in markets like Ny, or Phila, or DC, I've seen really great ads of guys in briefs with bulging pouches, etc. I guess in may depend on area.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I am just gonna say it quick.

Perhaps the belief is.....

Guys who wrestle and swim are exposed to wearing tight, revealing clothing.... whereas guys who play basketball, tend to have loose-fitting clothing.

It is just a comfort thing. Personally, I think all showers in Highschool should be in a stall form. If the boys want to be naked and run around... they can, but it offers security for the boys who are developing slowly, or jsut uncomfortable about their dicks for whatever reason ( cut/uncut, toosmall/toobig, etc)

That is all.:biggrin1:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
TitanicJake said:
Is there a connection?
Jake

The locker room is like a barn and the athletes in it are bred like livestock. If after the game, they want their privacy, thay can dress to their street apparel or keep some article of clothing on, they can even wait until they get back to their hotel room or home for a more private moment. Many of us even work out at public gyms. I certainly don't have any inclination to shower and do anything there that I can do elsewhere. 45 minutes to an hour of workout, I can drive home and shower where I live just as easily. It's not a matter of modesty, more convenience.

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I tried to talk with the Basketball coach one on one yesterday. He is a real asshole. He said "You and your big muscle guys with your big cocks just want to pose for each other" He added "Does it make you feel like a man to have a practically naked man under you? On you? or grabbing you?"
I wanted to punch that SOB. I said "It makes me feel like a man to play rough and strong. I can demonstrate this now if you want?" I added "My boys are in prime physical condition as am I. We think nothing about being naked together as we are a true team." I tapped his stomach and told him to get to doing crunches.
Who does he think he is?
I spoke to my principal and told him that me and my boys feel very comfortable in the showers and to me it would be wasted money. I then added that nudity and sex do not go hand and hand. I hope he does not allow the other coaches to pressure him to create more privacy.
Funny thing- The girl's showers/locker room is the same set up. There is not one complaint or request for a change over there.
I am so pissed off right now. I wanted to hit that guy.
Jake

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
TitanicJake said:
...... the Basketball coach ...<snipped>...... said "You and your big muscle guys with your big cocks just want to pose for each other" He added "Does it make you feel like a man to have a practically naked man under you? On you? or grabbing you?"

I spoke to my principal and ...<snipped>....added that nudity and sex do not go hand and hand. I hope he does not allow the other coaches to pressure him to create more privacy.

The basketball coach sounds counds like a closet gay to me. I hope the principal decides in your favour, Jake.

And I agree with you that nudity and sex is not the same thing.

Aquaman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I grew up with five brothers and shared a room with two of them, before one moved into the attic. From my experience, you just got used to each other to the point you didn't notice at all. When I started playing soccer, I was totally cool with changing up, and that was before high school. But when I got to HS, some guys were actually crying to be let out of showering- couldn't fucking believe this $h1+! Crying like in the Carrie movie! :biggrin1:

I can say for sure I was better off getting over the naked thing at an early age. Tell this coach that showering together is better for self esteem or something positive. My godbro says gang-hall showers are cleaner because it's less places for bacteria to gather- tell your @$$hole coach that.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
TitanicJake said:
I tried to talk with the Basketball coach one on one yesterday. He is a real asshole. He said "You and your big muscle guys with your big cocks just want to pose for each other" He added "Does it make you feel like a man to have a practically naked man under you? On you? or grabbing you?"

Jake, I find this a little hard to believe.

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's just the facts man. We (as coaches) never got along so any issue brings out conflict. This is no BS my friend. It is a glimpse of the guys I work with.
Jake
PS I said my peace to all of them. Let them waste money if they wish. We'll redo our locker rooms while kids learn in trailers in New Orleans.