Sportscasters Annoying Commentary

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
they have become so obnoxious and pervasive these days it just drives me crazy.

whether they are announcers, sportscasters and *ESPECIALLY* ESPN sportscenter and program hosts, it has become all about *THEM* not the sports...

how fucking annoying is this?

just once i would like to be able to watch highlights the way i used to 20 years ago... without some annoying personality, trying to make a name for himself by screaming "BAM!" or yelling or doing some schtick or catch phrase or sound effects during the highlights.

all they are doing is trying to get attention and one up each other...

has this ruined anyone else's enjoyment of highlight shows, sportscenter, sportscasts etc?

i used to love to watch sportscenter 15 years ago or so...now i cannot stand it.

i cannot stand commentators for live sports who talk *ALL THE TIME* over the action...endlessly, never shutting up, making stupid comments...

In my opinion there should be, from now on, in all broadcasts, an optional "commentator mute" selection on sports programming...i am sick of it.

these self-absorbed, self-important schmucks can fuck off IMO. it is one thing to make a great "call" once in awhile like

Al Michaels' "Do You Believe in Miracles...Yes!" when the US college kids beat the Soviets in 1980 (which was so awesome, i was 8 years old)

YouTube - miracle on ice

and the "Giants won the pennant, the Giants Won the Pennant" in 1951

YouTube - The Shot Heard 'Round The World

and the Stanford-Cal game "The band is out on the field!!!"

YouTube - Cal Bears Football 82: The Play

but the non stop chatter, catch phrases, intonations, repetition of nonsense and in-jokes is ruining everything today.

STOP!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You presuppose that I watch sportscasters.

Or sports. :wink:

that was a rather quick response...i think you're post-tailgating :biggrin1:

and although i know that the sun shines only upon you, the thread was directed at the thousands of LPSG members who peruse the board, not just you. :tongue::smile:

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i agree there should be a Mute option...or even an option to turn off the national broadcasters and listen to your home-town radio guys...or sometimes listen to the opposition's radio guys for a different perspective.

there's nothing worse than having to sit thru Joe Buck & Tim McCarver, or Joe Morgan & John Miller & Steve Phillips, or Joe Buck & Troy Aikman...

i still watch SportsCenter, but its usually more of a background thing while i'm getting ready in the mornings...its sad that i used to watch Baseball Tonight every nite during the season, but now thanks to idiots like John Kruk & Eric Young, i havent watched it in years...

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
God I fucking hate Tim McCarver. Baseball is the only sport I watch with any degree of regularity, but if McCarver is commentating, I have to change the channel. Fuck Tim McCarver!

Oh, and Joe Buck too.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i agree there should be a Mute option...or even an option to turn off the national broadcasters and listen to your home-town radio guys...or sometimes listen to the opposition's radio guys for a different perspective.

there's nothing worse than having to sit thru Joe Buck & Tim McCarver, or Joe Morgan & John Miller & Steve Phillips, or Joe Buck & Troy Aikman...

i still watch SportsCenter, but its usually more of a background thing while i'm getting ready in the mornings...its sad that i used to watch Baseball Tonight every nite during the season, but now thanks to idiots like John Kruk & Eric Young, i havent watched it in years...

i agree completely...i used to watch baseball tonight and NFL Primetime on sundays...and the late night sportscenter...i have not done so in years, and now i just avoid it, and get the highlights online , without having to waste my time with ESPN's nonsense...

ESPN has the entire day so filled up with every possible show, and each one is more annoying then the next

I used to love ESPN...they revolutionized sports programming...now they are killing it.

they have become to sport what MTV became to music.

---

i have always preferred the english commentators who do soccer and the olympics etc....they are minimalist, have an excellent vocabulary, they get excited, but not crazy, and they know to let the action speak for itself.

Martin Tyler is probably my favorite in terms of his eloquence and minimalism...

only he could make a running race sound exciting...

listen to him in the famed 1972 Munich Olympics 500 meter race, 5 minutes, featuring the famed american runner, Steve Prefontaine

YouTube - Steve Prefontaine 1972 Munich Olympic 5000m Final

now that is commentary.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't watch anything that Chris Berman announces.

totally agree...he is the reason that finally drove me over the edge and that caused me to start this thread...his stupid "sound effects" that he makes during NFL highlights are the absolute worst...retarded "BWOP!" and he does it over and over...on top of that, he is a total asshole, nothing like the "nice guy" persona he projecs

D_Doe_Ray_Mi

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like the, "commentator mute" idea and what's up with the invasion of female sportscasters. In Denver, Suzie Wergin needs to be put away!

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
one option i have used is turning down the TV volume all the way, and putting on the AM radio broadcast...there's usually a bit of a delay with the tv, the radio guys will call the play a few seconds in advance, but once you get used to that its much better than listening to the national announcers

now that i think of it, i remember watching one game with my uncle a few years ago, and the radio announcer said "if you look at the play you can see blahblahblah" and his radio partner said "how can they look on the radio?" and the initial guy said "well, i just assumed a lot of people are watching the game on mute and listening to us" ...classic.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
one option i have used is turning down the TV volume all the way, and putting on the AM radio broadcast...there's usually a bit of a delay with the tv, the radio guys will call the play a few seconds in advance, but once you get used to that its much better than listening to the national announcers

now that i think of it, i remember watching one game with my uncle a few years ago, and the radio announcer said "if you look at the play you can see blahblahblah" and his radio partner said "how can they look on the radio?" and the initial guy said "well, i just assumed a lot of people are watching the game on mute and listening to us" ...classic.
Yeah... I use to watch the Canucks games that way. Hit the Mute button to turn off Steve Armitage on BCTV and turn on CKNW for some good play by play.

American sports coverage is "all shouting all the time". I can't be bothered.

I also get pissed off at some of the commentators covering boxing and K1. They talk like they've been in the ring when you know damn well they haven't. Sometimes they just need to STFU.

Some of the best coverage I seen/heard was MotoGP on Eurosport 1. Those guys really know their shit and have a very dry wit.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Yeah, we used to do that a lot down here. Tried it for the Saints/Jets game but the delay between the radio broadcast and the cable feed was too great. Speaking of which...

....HATE commentators who root too much for one team or the other. For all their news bias, at least FOX sports commentators can call a fairly unbiased game.

For the Jets game I thought Dierdorf and the CBS crew were sportin' green jerseys and pom poms. "Sanchez (this)" and "Sanchez (that)". On and on...

By the third quarter the guy had gotten his rear fairly handed back on a silver platter, and all the CBS crew seemed to talk (still) was Sanchez. Almost wouldn't know the other team's q.b. was in the frickin' game.

Finally, by the fourth, they grudgingly started giving Brees his (much belated) "props". (After which, they got back home and kicked the cat, no doubt).

Last edited:

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I always watch sports with the sound off and my headphones on listening to my favorite music. And I haven't watched Sportscenter in years. Stuart Scott's annoying "boo-ya"'s turned me off to that. Similarly, Chris Berman's "back, back, back" turned me off to Baseball Tonight ages ago. Really, the only reason I watched those shows was to see my favorite athletes barechested or in other sexy ways. I've caught segments of Baseball Tonight over the years and they seem no longer to show athlete interviews and the like so I don't think I'm missing much anymore.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I generally hate sportscasters. I wish the channels would have a SAP-style second audio channel for sportscasters that one can optionally turn on. For every insightful thing a sportscaster says, there are hundreds of lines of meaningless banter that I do not care to hear.

I'd say my least favorite is Jeff Van Gundy. And I completely agree regarding Chris Berman. Talk about annoying.