Spotlight on Adam and Eve: "Original Sin"

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
The Fall of Man, the Expulsion from the Garden. Original Sin.

Click the link below. On the left, note the serpent wrapped around the Tree of Knowledge, tempting Eve. And on the right, the expulsion from Eden.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Michelangelo_Sündenfall.jpg

--------------------

I've always wondered why social conservatives love to say that man is innately "bad" (or "evil"). The concept of man being "good", for them, or "just" or "moral" is an oxymoron, because all goodness must come from God.

Never mind that Sokrates was Good and Just and Moral 400 years before Christ and probably had never read the Jewish myths of Creation and died before the christian Original Sin mythology was created. Christianity's message to you is that you are born sinful, bad, depraved, and with a propensity toward evil.

This is a perfectly insular example of circular religious thinking: That man might be half-way decent and good on his own, by instinct, means that their in no need for the christian idea of Redemption. Christianity, BY DEFINITION, must see man as intrinsically bad and IN NEED OF REDEMPTION, the godhead tacked to the Cross, bleeding for you --- because, if you are good all on your own, Jesus on the Cross becomes irrelevant. The New Testament House of Cards falls down.

Christians interpret Adam and Eve in the Genesis myth as the doctrine of Original Sin. Eve ate the forbidden fruit angering the Deity; they fell from God's grace and can only now be redeemed by God's grace, and ALL GENERATIONS afterwards shall be born into this state of original sin. You cannot escape it. The Christians have this deck of cards perfectly stacked. You are sinful (through no fault of your own). Only through God's grace can you acheive goodness and morality. Only through the Son, Jesus Christ, can your innately sinful nature be redeemed and transformed.

This is a perfectly corrupt, immoral teaching. And it should not be taught to children.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
WillT, are you trying to construct a story in which man is innately good? Is that even true?

Now if you have a problem with pessimism and glass half empty theory, then your own glass is half full kind of philosophy is bound to make you feel better, but is it true?

Show me innately good people who are 100% good all the time. I don't think they exist (hell some have reasoned themselves into slave ownership and torturing people as I've attempted to discuss with you). But if you tell them they are good when they are only good 50% of the time what does that get you? Do they strive to be better or do they just take their participation trophy and go home.

On the other hand, striving for goodness and having your blame slate wiped clean at each attempt has a certain kind of sublime appeal.

Last edited:

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Socrates would have been well acquainted with the religions of the middle east and beyond. And he was aware of the "Christian" philosophy of free will. Adam Smith was a nasty, acquisative, draft dodger (he needed to hone his economic skills rather than defend his people against rapacious, butchering Hanovraians) but who was supposedly a free thinker. This puzzles me because one does not have to think very deeply to espouse greed. To attempt to blame God for religion is partisan and naive. When we turn our attention from devious world leaders then we cannot keep the moral high ground. Where are the Bonnhoeffers today? There are none.

Spoiled Princess isn't still trying to tempt them with that apple, is she? :wink: