Spreading the dis-ease

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love irony, I really do. It's nice to know we've spent billions of dollars and sacrificed thousands of lives of our young people so that some people in the middle east could elect what we consider a terrorist organisation to lead them.

Chaos In Iraq

"Hamas' landslide victory in Palestinian elections unnerved the world, darkening prospects for Mideast peace and ending four decades of rule by the corruption-riddled Fatah Party."

Waddaya think girls and boys? Besides higher oil prices than ever, do you think it was worth the effort?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Admitting mistakes has never been the strength of those in power. And when have you ever heard a Cowboy apologize for shooting the wrong man?

What bothers me is the half-assness of it all. Be HONEST. Say, We want to control (directly or indirectly) this oil. Go over there. Blow shit up. Take the fucking place over. Cross your arms. Scowl. Dare anyone to try to take it back. But don't do this half-baked, PC, bully bullshit. UGH.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I wish I could say I was really surprised.

I'm going to assume that the elections weren't somehow rigged for a moment. The distressing thing, from a Bushite perspective, is that the Palestinian votors believe that the terrorist solution is the best way to solve their problems. It took decades for them to reach this conclusion. If the Iraqis get to that point sooner, look out.

From a disinterested perspective... things must be really crappy for the Palestinians (and/or they must REALLY hate the Israeli/Americans) for them to willingly elect a government that will almost guarantee them an ongoing state of war with Israel.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
rob_just_rob said:
From a disinterested perspective... things must be really crappy for the Palestinians (and/or they must REALLY hate the Israeli/Americans) for them to willingly elect a government that will almost guarantee them an ongoing state of war with Israel.
um, i think you'll find that the average palestinian ain't well-informed or far away enough to consider it from that perspective. as far as they're concerned, they're already AT war - a war that the israelis have been waging against them for 3 generations. the cycle of violence in palestine has been spinning for longer than 95% of its population can even remember now.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this thread about Hamas or about Iraq? Because the issues going on with the Palestinian Authority would be the same whether we were in Iraq or not.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
aloofman said:
Is this thread about Hamas or about Iraq? Because the issues going on with the Palestinian Authority would be the same whether we were in Iraq or not.

Oh, I know, it's just such a farce that we're supposed to be over there to bring stability to the middle east, while they're busy ELECTING terrorist groups to represent them. Maybe I didn't make my point well, I was too busy laughing.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I picked up a DAILY NEWS today, and damn if it doesn't have a full 2-page article on the whole debacle. Just by the graphic photos alone of protesters injured, I can tell you that this won't be over for a real long time if any.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The politics in that region are not going to change one way or another
regardless of the USA does or does'nt do. Hamas has vowed to
eradicate Israel and nothing is going to change their mind.
The fact that the whole of Palestine has only one goal, to push
Israel into the sea and reclaim their land, does'nt bode well for
the peace movement in the middle east.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks guys, I really am probably just so mind boggled that I should just shut up for the next few years. We're throwing our money into a well, a bottomless pit.

*Left wing-nut job gets on pedestal, takes bow, and returns to sitting in corner sucking thumb*

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
madame_zora said:
Waddaya think girls and boys? Besides higher oil prices than ever, do you think it was worth the effort?

i think it's time to cut the head of the dragon off - that would begin right here in America. :cool:

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
GoneA said:

i think it's time to cut the head of the dragon off - that would begin right here in America. :cool:

Dare to dream...but not too vocally. Remember what happens to everybody who has a dream in this country.:eek:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If the worst they're doing is voting, I'd say that's a big improvement over the usual Pali forms of political expression. Like, say, blowing up pizzarias full of kids. Or perhaps someone should have fixed the election? Would that be an improvement?

potato51

Just Browsing
Media
Wanna see how a domino works? U.S. withholds 500 billion aid package, refusing to negotiate or deal with terrorists in any way. EU withholds 600 billion aid package. Palestine opperates at a 700 billion trade deficiet yearly, and thats with 1.1 trillion in aid, the lack of these funds is disastrous. Palestine's outlook becomes increasingly desperate. Having given politics a try and seeing it backfire, Palestine falls deeper onto a dependence on terrorism. Others will view the U.S. as hypocritical for claiming to foster "Democracy" abroad, but only when it suits its own purpose.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
potato51 said:
Wanna see how a domino works? U.S. withholds 500 billion aid package, refusing to negotiate or deal with terrorists in any way. EU withholds 600 billion aid package. Palestine opperates at a 700 billion trade deficiet yearly, and thats with 1.1 trillion in aid, the lack of these funds is disastrous. Palestine's outlook becomes increasingly desperate. Having given politics a try and seeing it backfire, Palestine falls deeper onto a dependence on terrorism. Others will view the U.S. as hypocritical for claiming to foster "Democracy" abroad, but only when it suits its own purpose.

I'm still waiting for the complete self destruction of the human race. Hopefully, a decent species will then have a chance to evolve. Or be intellegently designed. Or made. Or deposited. Whatever.:rolleyes:

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Lex said:
Admitting mistakes has never been the strength of those in power. And when have you ever heard a Cowboy apologize for shooting the wrong man?

What bothers me is the half-assness of it all. Be HONEST. Say, We want to control (directly or indirectly) this oil. Go over there. Blow shit up. Take the fucking place over. Cross your arms. Scowl. Dare anyone to try to take it back. But don't do this half-baked, PC, bully bullshit. UGH.

Lex, I love and respect you. You know that. And I hear where you're coming from, though I detect a little bit of overstatement in what you just wrote, for rhetorical effect.

But there are plenty of Americans who DO talk the way you just wrote, and mean it. They believe an American's right to fill the tank of his Escalade on borrowed Sino-Japanese money is more important than the right of an individual non-American to cast his vote as he sees fit.

We're pretty much blowing shit up, scowling and daring anyone to take Iraq back, and a large number are taking up the dare. The US is fighting the best it can, and still finds it tough to win. The only thing half-assed about the war effort is how the administration is under-resourcing it. And that's not the result of PC pressure...or PC "bullying" as you put it. That's the administration facing the grim fact that the might-makes-right version of "bullying" isn't the most cost-efficient, nor necessarily successful, way to get what you want.

A democratically elected government, behaving in a way that we like, is cheaper than having to occupy someplace--so let's not get carried away thinking that our commitment to "democracy" stems entirely from PC motives.

Whether the motives you ascribe to the US are true or not, really doesn't matter at this point. Large parts of the world have decided they agree with you, Lex. Being "honest" about it would have little impact, politically or militarily.

I agree that the PC solution to world problems is often ineffectual and bogus. But that ain't the case here. Flexing your muscles doesn't guarantee success, either.

What do we do, then? How about use less oil?

HB8

P.S. I don't often get involved in debates like this on the LPSG, because it can undermine the supportive atmosphere. But I do it with you, Lex, because I'm sure we'll have a thoughtful exchange. In truth, we probably agree on many things.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Sorcerer said:
All because we couldn't find Osama after 9-11.

I'm not sure finding Osama is such a good idea.

What happens if they find him? A trial? An execution? Either way, count on tons of protests, martyrdom, and a few thousand willing volunteers to carry on his work.

It *would* be interesting to be his defence counsel and to call members of the Bush family as character references. After all, they're old chums.

No, I think the Rumcheneys are quite content to continue to have Osama as their Emmanuel Goldstein in perpetuity.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
rob_just_rob said:
I'm not sure finding Osama is such a good idea.

What happens if they find him? A trial? An execution? Either way, count on tons of protests, martyrdom, and a few thousand willing volunteers to carry on his work.

It *would* be interesting to be his defence counsel and to call members of the Bush family as character references. After all, they're old chums.

No, I think the Rumcheneys are quite content to continue to have Osama as their Emmanuel Goldstein in perpetuity.
Yes, but this is the USA and someone has to PAY from what happened that day. If anyone protested the killing of Osama, Bush would launch another military offensive and kill them too.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
we know osama's been hiding out in kashmir for at least the past 2 1/2 years. the reason they WON'T attempt to catch him is because he's still a card in the politicians' hand; no longer an ace, sure, but still something they can hold over the heads of their nations' populace to increase their own strangehold on power. bush, bliar et al are not gonna throw away a proven utility in domestic oppression by getting rid of bin laden.