Stand Up and Be Counted

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
Dr. Dilznick said:
She goes both ways.

She's an aesthete, a pleasure seeker; she's hedonistic, epicurean. She's seen more dick than I've seen my own. Trust.
Hey, I think she's fab. I was just surprised, that's all...didn't know she was like my sister :) Not surprised her groom looks a little girly...

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How sure can one be that the men and women on this list are gay, for real? Siegfried&Roy, Jody Foster, okay, they are both open closets, haha. But the rest? Is anyone with a number of ubhappy marriages, or without a spouse, or with having admitted some gay play now gay? And where's George Clooney (unmarried, a series of short-lived dates) on that list?

Or do I have to read more tabloids?

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
ClaireTalon said:
How sure can one be that the men and women on this list are gay, for real? Siegfried&Roy, Jody Foster, okay, they are both open closets, haha. But the rest? Is anyone with a number of ubhappy marriages, or without a spouse, or with having admitted some gay play now gay? And where's George Clooney (unmarried, a series of short-lived dates) on that list?

Or do I have to read more tabloids?
I can only vouch for the ones I've slept with personally:biggrin1:

Irvy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I really don't think it's as cut and dried as "these people ARE gay, and must come out".

First of all, in a culture where celebrities can't go out for a packet of cigarettes without spending 3 hours in makeup, or else their photos get splashed across every gossip magazine in circulation with a ring around every blemish and line. These people are doing a job, and getting paid handsomely for it, but does that give us the right to demand full disclosure on every aspect of their lives? I don't know about anyone else, but when I finish work for the day, I want to kick my shoes off, wear my slobby round the house clothes, and not have to worry about how I look, what I say or whether or not I fart. If I tramp outside looking like shit to take a bag of rubbish out, I don't want to see 5 of my clients standing at my front door asking me to design a flyer for them. Give the people their right to have a private life.

Saying that, if someone whose opinion matters, like a politian or role model, publicly condemns a practice or lifestyle that they are secretly involved in, be that alcohol, drugs, sexual practices, then that is a matter of hypocrisy. I was watching a program on television the other week about gays in the UK government, and how currently the feeling is that it doesn't matter whether you choose to come out or not, but if you're gay and you're voicing anti gay policies as a good thing, it's gonna bite you on the arse.

In the alternate reality where I became a celebrity tomorrow, I would not be rushing to tell the world that I was gay. Why? All my friends know, my parents and siblings know, I'm very comfortable with who I am. However, there are members of my family would have a hard time dealing with it, and we've decided it's best for them to be left in the dark. If a situation arose where I felt I could not speak out against it without coming out first, I would have to consider that then, similar to George Takei, Sulu from star trek. For years he'd never publically came out, but then with all the fever about gay marriages, he felt he wanted to throw his hat into the ring, and came out in order to do so. To speak out against what the local government was doing without stating that he himself was gay was, in his opinion, pointless.

Also, bear in mind that on this site we recognise that things are not as simple as "gay/bi/str8". We have a percentage system to demonstrate this. Why then are celebrities automatically dubbed as "gay", even though they may have done nothing more than all the people here who would refer to themselves as 99% straight, but have had same sex experiences? Is that hypocritical on our part?

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Irvy said:
<.> (Sorry for cutting this out, so many letters ;-))
Also, bear in mind that on this site we recognise that things are not as simple as "gay/bi/str8". We have a percentage system to demonstrate this. Why then are celebrities automatically dubbed as "gay", even though they may have done nothing more than all the people here who would refer to themselves as 99% straight, but have had same sex experiences? Is that hypocritical on our part?

That's what I was trying to say. I have some experience of sex with women too, experimenting, when I was a young and short-haired pilot trainee, but I've never come any closer to sex with a woman than slapping another gal's butt since then. If I was a celebrity, and had admitted to that in an interview, I guess I'd have ended on one of the numerous "supposed"/rumored lists, and be stamped as closet gay from then on.

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
ClaireTalon said:
That's what I was trying to say. I have some experience of sex with women too, experimenting, when I was a young and short-haired pilot trainee, but I've never come any closer to sex with a woman than slapping another gal's butt since then. If I was a celebrity, and had admitted to that in an interview, I guess I'd have ended on one of the numerous "supposed"/rumored lists, and be stamped as closet gay from then on.

I agree. That's exactly what happened to me. I suck a few dicks, and all the sudden - I'm gay... now does that make sense to you?!?!?!

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
ClaireTalon said:
Like anything, it depends on the source. I have good, firsthand knowledge on some, the rest I take with a grain of salt unless they're out or just happen to set off my gaydar.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
vinny_spiruccino said:
I agree. That's exactly what happened to me. I suck a few dicks, and all the sudden - I'm gay... now does that make sense to you?!?!?!
Yeah, this is something that's always gotten me too. People never make room for experimentation. People always jump from the fact that you've tried it once, to having it be your entire orientation. I've tried brussel sprouts. It doesn't make me an all out vegetarian. It doesn't even mean that I liked them. On the other hand... the english cucumbers in the produce section do always manage to catch my eye. :tongue:

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dr. Dilznick said:
Also:
- John Legend

I KNEW it. Hadn't heard any rumors, but he completely set off the gaydar.

Awesome, because I love him, love his record, just a lotta love.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Matthew said:
I KNEW it. Hadn't heard any rumors, but he completely set off the gaydar.

Awesome, because I love him, love his record, just a lotta love.
He's not "out," but I think we all knew from the beginning. Sorry to disappoint.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

I want to ask you all something? Do you think musicals like RENT are too overblown in their portrayal of the gay life style I kow it was supposed to have been a updated version of La Boheme but it was rather over the top for me.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
naughty said:
Hi,

I want to ask you all something? Do you think musicals like RENT are too overblown in their portrayal of the gay life style I kow it was supposed to have been a updated version of La Boheme but it was rather over the top for me.

I thought the entire thing was underwhelming - all hype. The music was good, but it didn't reach in to my soul or anything. Back to your question...

From what I saw in Vegas (where even the local dive is over-the-top), I don't think so. I'm sure parts of NYC are the same way. The Bohemian thing was a bit much, but I know some people who've gone through life like that.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL

Having lived in NEw York in the 80's and being an artist I saw this . I just felt watching it now it is already a period piece and so PC it makes me sick. THere is nothing revolutionary about AIDS. We have friends and family dying here. I just wasnt feeling it. I guess I am just being a grump a lump!

NAughty

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dr. Dilznick said:
He's not "out," but I think we all knew from the beginning. Sorry to disappoint.

No disappointment here. I'll happily accept him on the DL.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Lex said:
I found this within a Musclbear's profile on BMB and it made me think;

So, what do you guys think? Should any of these people (if secretly queer) stand up and be counted? What is their responsiblity to all of us (in the queer nation) to do so?

How do we convine a little girl she can be President when there are not female presidents? Or the little Black boy who wants to be Vice President? Or the gay kids that wants to be a successful pop star or actor? Does silence empower the disporportional under-respresentation of like people in prominent positions?!?

Queen Latifah, for example, has never said she is NOT gay. She does not get seen with men. She actually uses her ambiguity to her professional advantage I think.

Interesting. Your thoughts?

The notion of passing is not something new to certain groups of oppressed people. Multiracial Blacks who looked white, would pass to gain entry into a world otherwise denied them because of their racial parentage (i.e Imitation of Life, Pinky, The Human Stain). Passing for one thing, to gain societal benefits is acceptable, (yet still questionable) to me as long as it is understood that the REVEAL absolutely precludes success in a given endeavor. If Colin Power were secretly gay, I would'nt find it odd for him to conceal it, to ensure acension to the highest ranks of military and political life. Did we judge Rosie for her time passing as a heterosexual obessed with Tom Cruise so as to ensure the predominance of her daytime talk show?

Passing sometimes is just a matter of life and death, pure survival.