Stand Up and Be Counted

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And so the question is, should we HAVE to pass?

Also, the idea of "passing" as a queer male/female presumes that masculinity and femininity are the exclusive province of the heterosexual sex. I know plenty of straight men who are feminine and plenty of straight women who are butch. So, what IS passing?

This also goes into my disdain for the term "Straight-acting"--WTF does that mean? It's such a statement of self-hate, that I can't even describe it.

From X2:

Nightcrawler: I hear you can disguise yourself to look like anyone, even their voice.
Mystique: *imitates Nightcralwer* Even their voice.
Nightcralwer: So why not disguise youself all the time? Look like everyone else?
Mystique: Because, we shouldn't HAVE to.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anyone who's been in the closet for any length of time knows how enticing it can be. "If I can just keep this one thing hidden, they won't think I'm a freak and some day, I can have all the nice things they have." Everyone has a Norman Rockwell image - that perfect life that you want to have. It may look nothing like a Norman Rockwell painting, but it's there and people will do some pretty horrible things (to themselves and others) to get it, and when they finally get it, they're not happy.

I know a few gay men who have run from one closet to another, in some sense. They've given up their identity to become one of the clones. Just like "straight-acting," it's an act to fit in to a group that doesn't appreciate the differences in people.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lex said:
This also goes into my disdain for the term "Straight-acting"--WTF does that mean? It's such a statement of self-hate, that I can't even describe it.

Any way I act is "gay-acting" by definition.

jackM50black

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The list is bogus. It mixes together gays and lesbians who have definetly come out or are otherwise known my many to be gay. To include Hillary Clinton on the list is complete speculation. Just because lots of people enjoy speculating, and the "story" of maybe being gay is printed, that means virtually nothing. If I wanted to read this, I would simply buy the current copy of the National Star or some other similar rag.

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Lex said:
This thread is not about that list and the individuals therein. It's about strengths in numbers. I simply used the Bear's list as a starting point for discussion.
Thanks Lex..I was beginning to think that I had misunderstood your original question.
:smile:

tivers78

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Whass all this about Vin Diesel being gay?!!!! :eek: I never heard a wiff of that! Pray tell, what's this info based on?
And as for celebs outing themselves, Sir Ian McKellan, who is openly gay, did an interview ( i forget where now) about how unaccepting hollywood is of gay people in the industry and how difficult things could get. On that note, I guess these people are just human and are doing what they fell they need to do in order to survive in their business.
And personaly, i dont think anyone should consider celebrities(the music,movie entertainment kind ) as role models anway.:tongue: