Standing Water in US-Toilets

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's a "squat" toilet. ya don't sit you just squat and do your biz, your body I don't think should touch any part of it. The squatting helps with bowel elimination.
Japanese are wierd about toilets and personal hygiene. Just take a look here CleanIsHappy.com $3,000US for a kind of super bidet. The Toto Washlet
When I was in Italy 12 years ago the 'squat toilets' were scattered about the country from Tuscany down to Capri. You never knew what you would encounter. As a 'repressed' American girl I have to say it was most distressing to discover this variety in toilets.

The water level in the bowl is determined by the S siphon, it is cast in ceramic, there is no way to change it without changing the whole toilet.
Are you a plumber? :biggrin1: If not that is an unusually random bit of information to have.

I don't have experience with European toilets, but I don't like the trend in toilets that use less water. The toilets I used growing up in my parents' house have a big bowl of water enough to cover all of the shit so it doesn't smell. Newer toilets seem to have less water in the bowl and if I shit a lot it isn't covered by the water. Isn't the point of the water in the bowl supposed to be to prevent the shit from being exposed to the open air thus preventing the bathroom from smelling too much like shit?

You and I grew up in the same general part of the USA so I know exactly what you are talking about.

13L vs 6L, according to Wikipedia:
In many parts of the United States and Canada, 13 litre-per-flush toilets have been banned in favor of 6L toilets. In the past, it was common for 6L toilets to become clogged due to the lower volume of water. However, the increasing demand for 6L toilets has resulted in much more effective models which are just as effective as the older, high volume types. Recently, there has been a growing trend among states to provide rebates for those people who replace old inefficient toilets with modern 6L or dual flush models. For optimum conservation of water, systems other than close-coupled tank-type toilets are preferable.
Speaking as someone with IBS I hate, loathe and despise these newfangled low, flow toilets! I'm all for saving the planet. I would LOVE to build a 'Green' home like Jackson Browne and live totally off the grid. However, it does not save water if I have to flush 3 damn times! :mad: :12: :angryfire2:

My partner is German and his mother told me that the shelf thingy is a post-war development intended to make taking a stool sample to the doctor easier. If this is true, I guess the devaststion caused by the war created some serious health issues for the general population. If it's not true then I have no idea why toilet manufacturers want you to poop on a shelf. In Europe, you will notice that there is usually a toilet brush handy. It only took being bitched at / embarassed once to learn to use it every time.
A few pros and cons:

On American toilets I have gotten that horrible poo-water splash right up my hole as the turd submarines down. Shudder!
:yuck:
As have I, this is exactly why I hate having to poo in public restrooms. :mad: I know it's impossible; but I always imagine that I have contracted some dread disease when that happens. :redface:

Being raised on American toilets, and aside from just being more familiar, I prefer them for two reasons:
I don't want to brush the toilet out every time.
Isn't this enough reason to do it the right (i.e. American) way. :biggrin1: Seriously who wants to clean the damned toilet everyday?!?:confused:

Knowing that there is a steaming hot stinking pile of poo just sitting there in all it's reeking glory seems somehow indecent.
I don't recall encountering the shelf system of toilet and I am glad I didn't. :yuck: Ick, how gross that sounds to my puritanical American sensibilities.

It was while sitting on a German toilet that I had the epiphany that
Americans really are, in general, far more repressed than Europeans.

I guess it all boils down to do you prefer a splash or a plop?
SPLASH!

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i just returned from PRAGUE, CHECH REPUBLIC, the toilets in the hotel had no holding tank...they were direct flushed and used barely any water..had 2 buttons on wall...small/large flush...great ideal to save water...here in USA, we have yet to adopt such of a unit...also spent time in BUDAPEST...not nearly as modern