Star Trek Space Love

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by eddyabs, Sep 15, 2006.

1. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love Star Trek, I love space, I love astronomy, I dream of travelling the universe(s), doesn't it just blow your mind just how mind boggingly BIG it is (space:rolleyes:)...the light from the most distant galaxies thus far identified has travelled for BILLIONS of light years, so the light we see now, as it hits our eye, has travelled those billions of years from its point of origin (that distant universe) a time where our own galaxy did not exist.

The most distant stars visible by the naked eye are thousands of light years away....meaning we are seeing them at this moment as they were thousands of years ago!

And Time Travel? Read the 2 paragraphs before this one, it's has always been there.....Teletransportation? A scientist at cardiff university Teletransported an atom from one side of the room to another a few years ago. (A zillion atoms may take some time hehe)....Plasma energy? Just take a look at a nebula or supernova...pure plasma energy.

There is so much more.....looking at Jupiter, Mars or Uranus (no pun intended :wink:) through my telescope is an indescribable feeling....up there with good food and sex...sometimes..even better. Just incredibly, incredibly awesome.

Seeing the two comets Hale-Bopp and Halleys a few years ago, did any of you catch that? I just wish that Humankind could spend more time pondering the stars, planets, and the universe.....it puts life into a different perspective, I think it would solve a lot of the worlds ills.

And Star Trek? The man Roddenbery was a genius. Although I wonder if and when the time comes for us to be able to travel the universe....if it will be in a spaceship....or something else? Anyone else have similiar feelings and interest in all things cosmic?

2. Irvy

Irvy Member

Albums:
    I love Star Trek, and most sci fi. I do think that one day we'll all get out there into the stars, but I think it'll be very very different than Star Trek. You only need to look at the sci fi of the 1950s to see how wrong we are when we predict the future.

3. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    Nice post. Complentating the vastness of the universe and its interactions are quite intriguing topics. I encourage one and all to explore them.

You desire to have the time in the fast paced world of the present to just sit back and contemplate things like ancient scholars were allowed to do with their entire lives. I would like to spend an existence like that too, but it's just not our option, so we have to learn as much as we can, when we can.

The most insightful thing that I have learned from my studies of the most ancient literature in human history is... basically I feel that all things have been discovered in the universe, and they were discovered an amazingly long time ago (supposedly a more primative time), but what we do today and into the future is simply recreate the same discoveries in new ways. There are only so many interactions that occur in the universe, and they all exist in a wave of ups and downs. We simply find ways to make new things interact in the same ways and thus, create innovation.

"The succession of events never ends. Thus, after Already Fulfilled, at the end, Not Yet Fulfilled follows"

4. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks mate ;))).

I believe we are the Universe, we are all made from the Universe, and our dreams and imagining from which spring creation are all born from the Universe from which we were created.

I don't think I would want mankind to spend their days pondering the Universe (after all, we have many scholars who spend their days doing just that already), but rather, it doesn't take much to spend a few minutes gazing at the stars, even the moon, and thinking, wondering about where they are, what they are....many people (but by no means all), I believe take the night sky (even when seen 'sans' light pollution') as simply a canvas....so used have they become to it.

It would be nice to see more observatories becoming more accessible to the public, it would even be nice for more schools to own some decent telescopic equipment, to be able to arrange night camping trips for pupils where they may have a chance to gaze at Jupiter or such through the lens.

I would have loved that at school...better than a zoo anyday lol.

I agree the Universe is Chaotic, but there is some order in that chaos. The choices of life, like the universe, are indeed infinite.

'The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.' (Arthur C Clarke)

5. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    I see, so you say we should stop and actually look at things once and a while? lol, I'd say so too. We get too absorbed sometimes and cliche "miss the forest amidst all these trees"

I actually was walking home from a night out last friday at 3am and saw the most amazing moon covered with rapidly moving black clouds that I had ever seen. I then started sprinting home in order to grab my camera and try to capture it. The funny part is, you have to show your ID to sign in to where I live if it is after 12am,.. and I did the first time ran in grabbed my camera, laid out in the grass, took some pictures, went back in.... then couldn't resist so came back out, took another 20 pictures,....... had to sign in again... so basically signed in twice in a period of 20 minutes, they probably thought I was crazy lol. Unfortunately, camera technology (added in with a well-lighted area) isn't quite good enough to capture the scene as I truly saw it... but I got some awesome pictures nonetheless.

6. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Read the Red Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    An excellent saga about the colonizing and subsequent
    terra forming of Mars.

7. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:

Wow, I would have loved to have seen that.....it never ceases to amaze me how the night sky changes, I would love to see the pics!! I'm quite a keen amateur photographer, and would love to get into taking pictures through a telescope, I guess that's the next step. Just to be able to take your own picture of say a distant galaxy, or a nebula cloud, or a planet and blow it up and frame it....awesome!!!

8. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the info Jake, I will be definitely checking these books out, I'm a freak about Mars!! Check out Ben Bova 'Mars' and the sequel (can't remember the name)...great books about man going to Mars and finding more than he expected!

9. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    I put a couple of the images up in my gallery since they were too big to attach to a message (no I'm not circumventing anything here... 0:)

10. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yup. I'm a wannabe astronomy geek who began reading Philip K. Dick and Arthur C. Clarke when I was around 14. My friend in junior high had a high-powered telescope and we spent many evenings looking through the lens. Metropolis is my favorite movie and The Day The Earth Stood Still is not much further down the list.

11. spanishboy

spanishboy New Member

Albums:
    This is my first -no, the second- contribution to any LPSG forum. I am delighted to see that there are STAR TREK fans even here! I love Star Trek and I find all the things you have written so far in this thread simply awesome. I really have hope for a future among the stars...I wish we could go beyond the shores of the cosmic ocean NOW. I wish I could live to see the day that happens...As a means of collaborating to that aim, I belong and support The Planetary Society, created by Carl Sagan 26 years ago...

What we have to do now is not only keep on dreaming of a better future but above all we should help this suffering world live through this terrible moment of history. We first need to survive this era and start building -NOW- a new world. Only with our home Earth in peace and in balance we will be able to cross the boundaries of this planet without risking the danger of taking our problems to other parts of the universe, don't you think so?

Anyway, I love to see there are so many people all around the world (I live in the Canary Islands of Spain) sharing the same hopes.

Thank you all for being there!

12. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

They where up there all alone. Aybody ever wonder like me if Kirk cornholed Spock? Was Scotty a twink?

13. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I loved Ben Bova 'Mars', also read the Martian Cronicles as a child. Great book.

14. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Philip K Dick was a genius. Have you ever read Frederick Pohl
    or Larry Niven ? Awsome writters.

15. Matthew

Gold Member

No, but Chekhov sure was! And what about Dr. McCoy?

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a cumbucket!"

16. dong20

Gold Member

I'd like to love Seven of Nine.... I'd call her and suggest a date, but my cellphone won't do subspace.:wink:

17. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I prefer people who aren't more than 98% prosthetic!

Space is cool, saying that I'm a fan of the little things as well. Yay for nano-biology or the Greatest Voyage, that sort of thing.

18. dong20

Gold Member

Well, I guess my comment as directed more at Geri Ryan than her Borg persona but I was trying to keep in the spirit of the thread. Actually I don't find her desparately attractive at first glance and not really my 'type' at all but I saw some (non star trek) studio shots a couple of years back and in those she looked gorgeous. I'm so shallow I know.

19. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

I was referrring to both her and her character! :p

I'm evil, I really am.

Anyway, I really do wish that humanity could join up and do something constructive like exploring space, the universe, even ourselves rather than spending tons of effort being unhappy.

Well except in DS9 anyway.

20. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    *saddened that post went soooo far off topic, even 'Pumblechook" status off topic, that it has no meaning or relevance to the original topic*

Draft saved Draft deleted