Starinvestor got himself banned.

D

deleted15807

Besides, I have empathy for the conservatives...
Its not easy to have everything you held to be true yanked out from under you by the force of reality. To have all your most cherished ideas so utterly and completely proven to be wrong.

Like a mad scientist stuck in the lab refusing to believe he's created Frankenstein so too the conservatives will never believe the headlines today are their fault.
Instead they keep believing the same deadly potient that sickened the patient will now heal the patient.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I am not a conservative, nor do i appreciate the categorization that i am and i do not hunt and kill wild animals either. NOr do i support drilling in ANWAR. I am a passionate environemntalist, support a full government health care system, support gay marriage, am pro-choice, pro-legalization of marijuana and a host of other liberal issues.

Just because i choose not to associate with the far left on the issue of taxation and estate taxation, as well as certain aspects of foreign policy does not make me a conservative, thank you very much.

I do not agree with the majority of the opinions of bi-in-socal and 23405. But Star is not a right winger, and there is a difference. He is a republican, not a right wing christian coalition republican.

and i am neither.

I am an independent and a liberal-libertarian.

Kindly do not lump me in to the easy categories that the far left and the far right enjoy categorizing each other as.

Calm down, Flashy.

I never called you a "Conservative", and I'm sorry if that's how you took it (and if that offends you).

But I must disagree with your assertion about Starinvestor. Based on his postings, he is very much a "Right Winger", and often a glorified troll more than anything else.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
TO starinvestor:

(I know you're out there somewhere reading these comments!)

New Wall Street Journal/NBC Poll

PUBLIC BACKS OBAMA'S STIMULUS PLAN

A new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll finds strong public support for President Obama’s stimulus plans and broad disapproval for conservative desires to give tax breaks to big businesses. Some highlights:

– “Asked whether Republicans in Congress should do everything to stand firm for their party’s principles and oppose the legislation, or look to compromise with the Obama administration, 68% of Republicans and independents chose compromise, with 20% picking standing firm.”

– “By a nearly 2-to-1 ratio, people preferred government spending to create jobs over tax cuts to give Americans more money to spend. Large majorities endorsed many details in the plan, with 89% saying they like the idea of creating jobs through increasing production of renewable energy and making public buildings more energy efficient.”

– “The survey listed areas where Mr. Obama could potentially be seen as going “too far.” The only one where a majority of people registered concern was with providing aid to corporations facing bankruptcy.”

Last edited:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
what I found worthwhile in the postings by those now banned was by bracketing (Husserlian sense) their statements, then doing the backward engineering, if you will, the deconstruction and interpretation

Star's postings had their greatest value in his interactions with the other posters, in that sense

Bi_in_Socal's had their greatest value as stand-alones; his postings, once you examined them, did, in fact, repose on some very sound conceptualizing

reviewing his exchange with a longtime LPSG boarder, I could see what each was trying to say, and how they spoke past each other, and, therefore, failed to communicate

what they were each saying in that particular exchange could have been synthesized, because they really weren't contradicting each other, though they thought they were

hence, you can catch glimmers of different aspects of whatever was being discussed that can't help but broaden your own perspective

I disagree.

Starinvestor seemed OK, even likable, on the rare occasion that he stepped away from discussing social issues, however, when I consider that the majority of his posts were shit stirring, inflammatory bullshit, I then think “who gives a fuck if he was banned or not”.

His loss, albeit temporary, is, imo, nothing to mourn, as his presence lacks real significance. To be clear, I am not stating that Starinvestor is not worthy of posting, that I do not enjoy some of his posts, or that he does not have a right to his opinion.

What I am stating, is if we are to take note of a loss of meaningful presence on this forum, it is, again, imo, a feeling we should reserve for the disappearances of DC Deep (after being banned for, I assume, troll-bashing), Snoozan (in response to DC's undeserved banning), Bbucko, and others that have ceased posting on this site in the last few years. (basing part of this observation on what I have read in older threads)

Some may disagree about their benefit to the current forum, but posters that have little, or nothing, significant to offer (so cal...) have flourished in the void the aforementioned posters left. Sorry, I cannot give equal weight to all posters (admittedly, I suck, too), but some, especially the OGs, are more valuable to the balance of a forum and, without them, there is a creeping domination of mindlessness.

But I must disagree with your assertion about Starinvestor. Based on his postings, he is very much a "Right Winger", and often a glorified troll more than anything else.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
what I found worthwhile in the postings by those now banned was by bracketing (Husserlian sense) their statements, then doing the backward engineering, if you will, the deconstruction and interpretation

Star's postings had their greatest value in his interactions with the other posters, in that sense

Bi_in_Socal's had their greatest value as stand-alones; his postings, once you examined them, did, in fact, repose on some very sound conceptualizing

reviewing his exchange with a longtime LPSG boarder, I could see what each was trying to say, and how they spoke past each other, and, therefore, failed to communicate

what they were each saying in that particular exchange could have been synthesized, because they really weren't contradicting each other, though they thought they were

hence, you can catch glimmers of different aspects of whatever was being discussed that can't help but broaden your own perspective

Oh, don't go all "Crash" on us, Nick4444. That movie sucked anyway. :tongue:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Calm down, Flashy.

I never called you a "Conservative", and I'm sorry if that's how you took it (and if that offends you).

I am calm, but when you lumped me in with bi-in-socal and 23405,i felt that was the implication. While i respect those two posters' right to their opinions, i do not in fact share the vast majority of them.

If i said "well i think Guy-Jin, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond were all going off to a meeting together" (or something like that), the implication would be that you were very similar compatible and of a like mind with that.

That is all i am saying.

As for Star being a "right winger", i really do not think his postings have indicated that, as i have said. He is not religious, is not pro-life, is not anti-gay, or any of the other rather narrow views hel by the "right". What he has always struck me as is someone who believes very clearly in more classical conservatism, with regard to taxation, economic matters and limited government in favor of states' rights. his economic views may be right of center, and he may be a republican, but being a republican does not make one right wing any more than being a democrat makes one left wing. there are varying degrees.

Is he right of center? Yes...is he a "right winger" in the pejorative sense of the term used by people on the far left to describe anyone slightly right of center? No.

I do not think he is a troll either. He always argues his corner passionately, he never insults unless is insulted or confronting someone who there is history between, where there have been run-ins in the past. If you debate respectfully with him, he offers the same back.

He posts threads that state or confirm a position he takes, on any number of topics, and then debates them...that is not different from when someone on here who fights the opposite corner does something similar...I do not believe that it is "trolling" to introduce a topic, based on one's opinion to opene debate. Certainly he will forcefully debate you, but starting threads where there will be significant debate is the whole point of a forum for discourse, no?

How is what he does, any worse then when someone who holds the opposite beliefs to him starts a thread about Bush and war crimes, or McCain etc...and then cites an article that states their position, and then expects to be debated by those who hold a different view?

He may certainly offer a differing opinion to those on the left, but from looking back over the threads he has created, i do not think one can call him a "glorified troll"...he is starting debate in a political forum, from his point of view.

There are certainly some trollish far right wingers who have been here in the past, and there certainly are some trollish left wingers too...but i do not believe star has proven himself to be trollish, just for fighting his corner fair and square.

that is my 2 cents anyway.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
PRESIDENT OBAMA'S JOB APPROVAL RATING

(most recent poll, from Real Clear Politics website)

CNN (02/07 - 02/08) = 76% approval / 23% disapproval

NOT TOO SHABBY.

well in all fairness, those are not the only poll numbers to have been published...

if we are going to do polls, all must be shown, good and bad, IMO.

Rasmussen has things looking much different.

Obviously, i do not care what a Rush Limbaugh poll has to say (if there is such a thing) but CNN is not the only polling service.

if we are going to look at polls, we should look at all of them from the more esteemed polling services, and compare them all side by side. CNN, Pew, Rasmussen, etc. etc. etc. all have legitimate places in the discussion.

Rasmussen suggests very different things regarding the support for the stimulus as well as Obama's performance.

Rasmussen Reports: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site.

he is at about 60 percent approve, 38 percent disapprove there.

also, he predictably has little support among republicans, lots of support among democrats, but among independents with regards to the stimulus it shows much lower support.

with regards to statements about the stimulus that you mentioned in the WSJ poll, that differs radically in Rasmussen

even gallup from last week stated that only 38% wanted the plan passed "as is" (prior to the changes compromised with the moderate repubs)

Americans Support Stimulus, but Many Want Major Changes

and on feb 5 support was only at 52%

Public Support for Stimulus Package Unchanged at 52%

Then again, Gallup as him at 63% approve, 23% disapprove

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

what it all comes down to is basically a lot of bunk, by people who really do not seem to pay much attention and have no clue what is going on.

Naturally, Obama is still in the relative calm of a honeymoon period, and his popularity should remain in the low 60s for awhile...

but the stimulus package is very different, since it does involve other components, namely congress, which all polling shows that resoundingly, people are sick of and disapprove of. (go figure on that one :wink: )

the big difference, is that this stimulus package is not Obama's...it is Reid and Pelosi's, which IMO was a huge mistake on the President's part...

anyway, none of it really makes any difference pollwise, because the numbers should remain pretty constant for awhile, until either his first major victory, defeat, success or screwup.

One thing is for certain though, if they pass this stimulus package and the banking package and they do not work, we are going to be in a massive mess, and he and congress will take the blame for it.

There is nothing ultimately more important than the economy, and if this does not work, it will likely be the death of his presidency.

It is a massive gamble, that tbh, i cannot believe he is going to take, allowing the House to make that decision for him and not to make it on his own. The republicans are clearly playing defense, and are letting the package sink or swim on the democrats shoulders...ironically, Obama's biggest mistake was resting the already signature moment of his presidency on the shoulders of the wretched Nancy Pelosi.

He is a strong, likeable and charismatic guy, and congress is still disliked very much...he couldh ave used his likeability and initial popularity to great effect on this plan and probably passed it no matter what...instead, he allowed Pelosi to take over probably the most important moment of his prsidency, which is a huge mistake and she has turned this package into a massive clusterfuck.

anyway, we'll see what happens...but for this big a moment to happen this soon in his presidency is absolutely critical...if it fails, he will greatly regret having left the biggest moment in his career thus far in Pelosi's hands.

He is likeable and relatively practical...she is not.

He could have gone right to the republicans before she and reid et. al began writing the bill, and probably could have wrang some concessions out of them considering he has a rather clean slate compared to Pelosi who the republicans utterly despise.

He could really have rode shotgun on this plan and made it into something that i personally believe could have worked very well...instead he gave it to Pelosi, who is a complete ass.

He let them get out in front and then he took over the reins after they wrote it...he is riding their horse, not his own, and that is why this package is such a mess.

Frankly, I am terrified...not of Obama himself, but the fact that he is now unfortunately totally wedded to this fucked up package that he allowed the idiots like Pelosi to write with virtually no input from him, and without consulting the republicans at all, then being surprised when they will not help at all...

if you are going to wine and dine the republicans, as he did originally, to win their support for the package, why would you then let their arch-enemy, who represents everything they hate, (Pelosi) write the bill without any consultation, and with so much shit in it, that he should have known they would never accept.

This was a massive mistake on his part and allowing a hack like Pelosi to dictate the most important moment of his young presidency is a serious mistake. He is smarter and much more popular than she is and he pretty much let her hijack it.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Flashist :wink:

I have disagreed with Star on occasion. He may get a little hot under the collar, somewhat antagonistic, but nothing that shouldn't be tolerated on an adult Forum IMO. That is a general observation about him rather than this specific situation whatever it is.

Did anyone bother to read back through his posts to get an idea of what it might have been?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Hey, starman... the polls just keep on coming, baby.

New Gallup Poll!

February 9, 2009

OBAMA HAS UPPER HAND IN STIMULUS FIGHT

Obama’s 67% approval rating on the stimulus is more than twice that of Republicans

PRINCETON, NJ -- The American public gives President Barack Obama a strong 67% approval rating for the way in which he is handling the government's efforts to pass an economic stimulus bill, while the Democrats and, in particular, the Republicans in Congress receive much lower approval ratings of 48% and 31%, respectively.

These findings, based on Gallup Poll interviews conducted Feb. 6-7, underscore the degree to which Obama appears to be maintaining the upper hand over his opponents from a public opinion perspective as he and congressional leaders wrangle over the precise form and substance of a new economic stimulus plan.

------------------------

Ah... I can just feel your eyes burning a hole through the computer screen as you read this, star! You feel this overwhelming, pulsating, profound desire to jump in & respond to all this liberal mainstream media hogwash - don't ya star?? - with a series of stern and sarcastic POSTS!

hahahaha! Eat your heart out, starman! The american people strongly support the president in his heroic quest to avert economic calamity - as the republican minority in congress falls further into disrepute! (damn obstructionists!)

haha... ok I'm just fucking with you a little here, starman... your hands being tied and your account being frozen and all.....

You know -- seriously -- these political threads really do feel pretty uninspired in your absence, man. It just doesn't feel right without you being here to dress up liberals down!.... to fix our wagons! To whack us around & show us the error of our ways, in that inimitable snarky contemptuous - yet oddly gentlemanly - style of yours.....

xxxxxx

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bloody hell, Flasher

I had to take a nap half way through those long posts! :tongue:

Isn't it too early to be taking approval polls on Obama?

The Baracks are probably still on their first loo-roll at the White house.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well in all fairness, those are not the only poll numbers to have been published...

if we are going to do polls, all must be shown, good and bad, IMO.

Rasmussen has things looking much different.

Obviously, i do not care what a Rush Limbaugh poll has to say (if there is such a thing) but CNN is not the only polling service.

if we are going to look at polls, we should look at all of them from the more esteemed polling services, and compare them all side by side. CNN, Pew, Rasmussen, etc. etc. etc. all have legitimate places in the discussion.

Rasmussen suggests very different things regarding the support for the stimulus as well as Obama's performance.

he is at about 60 percent approve, 38 percent disapprove there.

also, he predictably has little support among republicans, lots of support among democrats, but among independents with regards to the stimulus it shows much lower support.

with regards to statements about the stimulus that you mentioned in the WSJ poll, that differs radically in Rasmussen

even gallup from last week stated that only 38% wanted the plan passed "as is" (prior to the changes compromised with the moderate repubs)

Americans Support Stimulus, but Many Want Major Changes

and on feb 5 support was only at 52%

Public Support for Stimulus Package Unchanged at 52%

Then again, Gallup as him at 63% approve, 23% disapprove

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

what it all comes down to is basically a lot of bunk, by people who really do not seem to pay much attention and have no clue what is going on.

Naturally, Obama is still in the relative calm of a honeymoon period, and his popularity should remain in the low 60s for awhile...

but the stimulus package is very different, since it does involve other components, namely congress, which all polling shows that resoundingly, people are sick of and disapprove of. (go figure on that one :wink: )

the big difference, is that this stimulus package is not Obama's...it is Reid and Pelosi's, which IMO was a huge mistake on the President's part...

anyway, none of it really makes any difference pollwise, because the numbers should remain pretty constant for awhile, until either his first major victory, defeat, success or screwup.

One thing is for certain though, if they pass this stimulus package and the banking package and they do not work, we are going to be in a massive mess, and he and congress will take the blame for it.

There is nothing ultimately more important than the economy, and if this does not work, it will likely be the death of his presidency.

It is a massive gamble, that tbh, i cannot believe he is going to take, allowing the House to make that decision for him and not to make it on his own. The republicans are clearly playing defense, and are letting the package sink or swim on the democrats shoulders...ironically, Obama's biggest mistake was resting the already signature moment of his presidency on the shoulders of the wretched Nancy Pelosi.

He is a strong, likeable and charismatic guy, and congress is still disliked very much...he couldh ave used his likeability and initial popularity to great effect on this plan and probably passed it no matter what...instead, he allowed Pelosi to take over probably the most important moment of his prsidency, which is a huge mistake and she has turned this package into a massive clusterfuck.

anyway, we'll see what happens...but for this big a moment to happen this soon in his presidency is absolutely critical...if it fails, he will greatly regret having left the biggest moment in his career thus far in Pelosi's hands.

He is likeable and relatively practical...she is not.

He could have gone right to the republicans before she and reid et. al began writing the bill, and probably could have wrang some concessions out of them considering he has a rather clean slate compared to Pelosi who the republicans utterly despise.

He could really have rode shotgun on this plan and made it into something that i personally believe could have worked very well...instead he gave it to Pelosi, who is a complete ass.

He let them get out in front and then he took over the reins after they wrote it...he is riding their horse, not his own, and that is why this package is such a mess.

Frankly, I am terrified...not of Obama himself, but the fact that he is now unfortunately totally wedded to this fucked up package that he allowed the idiots like Pelosi to write with virtually no input from him, and without consulting the republicans at all, then being surprised when they will not help at all...

if you are going to wine and dine the republicans, as he did originally, to win their support for the package, why would you then let their arch-enemy, who represents everything they hate, (Pelosi) write the bill without any consultation, and with so much shit in it, that he should have known they would never accept.

This was a massive mistake on his part and allowing a hack like Pelosi to dictate the most important moment of his young presidency is a serious mistake. He is smarter and much more popular than she is and he pretty much let her hijack it.
There are polls and then ther are polls. It is well know that the Rasmussen Organization has a distinct right wing tilt as do the results of their polling.........