Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think a lot of people get confused as to what 'Start Conversation' means. When someone says in a thread 'DM me for ...' they just reply to that post rather than privatley. Could Start Conversation be changed to say Direct Message? It would make things a lot clearer and hopefully stop threads getting clogged with annoying pointless messages.

Reactions: Thonglovingmate

LPSG Richard

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
posting "dm me" would be against our terms!

There is a good chance the new software version will have updated language for this, however currently, changing 'start conversation' would create more confusion than it would solve currently

Please report 'dm me' posts!

Reactions: kabanesenpai

Pecos Bill

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
How are Direct Messages against TOS?

I also have an issue with the Start Conversation function...
I keep inviting new people to the site, and once they create an account, their default settings prevent them from Starting A Conversation with anyone.

I try to send them links to different threads on the site to get them started, but we're both prevented from sending messages to each other - so it really turns them off to the site cause they can't figure out how to navigate or how to fix their Privacy Settings to accept messages.

Can the Conversation settings default to All Members at the start, and then the user can make them more restrictive later if they prefer?

This has happened several times now when I introduce new people to the site, and I honestly can't figure out what settings they need to change to be able to Direct Message, and they typically just never end up using the site.

Rick2301

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
posting "dm me" would be against our terms!

There is a good chance the new software version will have updated language for this, however currently, changing 'start conversation' would create more confusion than it would solve currently

Please report 'dm me' posts!
The 'DM Me' was just an example. My main point is that many people do not know that Start Conversation is how you message someone in private, especially if English is not their main language. Just changing it to Direct Message or Private Message would make it much clearer. I can't see how that would create more confusion.

Reactions: Man2kiss

LPSG Richard

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The 'DM Me' was just an example. My main point is that many people do not know that Start Conversation is how you message someone in private, especially if English is not their main language. Just changing it to Direct Message or Private Message would make it much clearer. I can't see how that would create more confusion.

Hello! The logic/reasoning behind why it's termed a 'Conversation' versus 'DM' or 'Private Message', is the conversation feature has the ability to add more than one person to the chat. Ie, one of the two participants are able to add more people to that discussion. So, the use of 'Conversation' was meant to convey this fact, versus the widely known 'DM' aspect

The confusion by any change would be the fundamental change of terminology around this functionality to the code itself, as well as informing everyone of the change of language, as well as explaining that the private conversation can stop being private whenever the other person chooses.

Reactions: kabanesenpai

LPSG Richard

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure

I keep inviting new people to the site, and once they create an account, their default settings prevent them from Starting A Conversation with anyone.

I try to send them links to different threads on the site to get them started, but we're both prevented from sending messages to each other - so it really turns them off to the site cause they can't figure out how to navigate or how to fix their Privacy Settings to accept messages.

Can the Conversation settings default to All Members at the start, and then the user can make them more restrictive later if they prefer?

This has happened several times now when I introduce new people to the site, and I honestly can't figure out what settings they need to change to be able to Direct Message, and they typically just never end up using the site.

Hello! Direct messages are not against the TOS, the act of creating posts in threads stating "DM me" is against the TOS (among other versions). The issue arises when there are several people asking for DMs, and this creates a wall of 'DM me' which ruins the thread for others.

I believe the issue you are having with the new members is the restrictions placed on new accounts. Generally, a lot of functionality is limited until the user makes 5 posts to confirm that the account isn't a bot. I would suggest having them create an introduction thread in the new member's section, they will hit their requirements quickly as it's a friendly place

Let me know if I have missed a question!

LPSG Support

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response

We were having a lot of spam attacks on the site. We created this new rule to help control that. So new members can't immediately start a conversation.

LPSG Richard

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Sorry im a new in LPSG, i cant use start conversation or dm someone

Theres no start conversation button when i click someone profile

If you respond to my post here, Nickswayner, you should be able to start a conversation! You need 5 posts and wait two days )

Head on over to the new member forum and create an introduction thread: New Member Introductions

Last edited: