started working out this way at gym

dibo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
so i just signed up to this gym and im real bad with routines and sets and counting my sets and all that so i was wondering if its ok to hit up every weight machine like chest, biceps, shoulders etc.. and just work out on each until i feel the pain and cant lift any more? that is probably working my muscles out to the max no? can i get real big fast using this method or do i HAVE TO STICK TO routines?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Most gyms have trainers and don't let newbies lose on the equipment without some instruction. I'd ask for help from the trainer if I were you. There are a ton of fitness magazines and iillustrated books out there as well.

Yes, having a program and sticking to it will give you better results. It makes it easier to judge your progress as you get stronger. Myself, I change the routine when I start to get bored with it.

Media
If you're a beginner, a great way to start getting your body acquainted with building muscle is to do a full body work out like you noted with doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise every other day or every other two days. It's important to keep up with the pattern and make sure you remember which exercises you do so that you consistently work on those muscle groups. Machines are okay but it's probably better to use free weights in the long run. It's simpler and your muscles, if done in the right form, will respond better. After about 3 months you should start seeing where you are improving and from there you can gradually start spacing out your body part workouts by day (meaning arms and legs one day, chest another, shoulders and back another or however you want.) The most important part about getting into a workout routine though is finding what works best for you, because some advice may not benefit you as it does others.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
so i just signed up to this gym and im real bad with routines and sets and counting my sets and all that so i was wondering if its ok to hit up every weight machine like chest, biceps, shoulders etc.. and just work out on each until i feel the pain and cant lift any more? that is probably working my muscles out to the max no? can i get real big fast using this method or do i HAVE TO STICK TO routines?

If you are lifting until you are sore I can't wait untill 2 or 3 days from now when you are so sore you can't move. when you really over do it the soreness doesn't hit until a couple days out. when it does have your advil ready!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

How much you gain depends on your genetics and diet. I don't think that you should do a laissez-faire workout and with whatever load weight. Thing is, doing lots of repetitions with exhaustive weight loads can make you weaker. Not limited to being dangerous. You can overstress your muscle sinews and tendons. Which setbacks your workout goals.

It is important that you have a stretching routine before and after working out as well. Flexibility is important.

When working out for the first-time, it is important that you have a trainer to work with you for a year. And he or she will teach you the equipment, how to use it properly and SAFELY. If you need a spotter, one of the gym staff will spot you if you need them to.

You will need a workout journal to assist you and monitor your weight training goals.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
menshealth.com has great FREE info and plans, from experts- a bit of pick and choose as well

crazy_one53402

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Machines are okay but it's probably better to use free weights in the long run. It's simpler and your muscles, if done in the right form, will respond better. After about 3 months you should start seeing where you are improving and from there you can gradually start spacing out your body part workouts by day (meaning arms and legs one day, chest another, shoulders and back another or however you want.) The most important part about getting into a workout routine though is finding what works best for you, because some advice may not benefit you as it does others.

I have to agree I started last April using machines yeah it wes getting the job done.. In October my Boyfriend and I started a program call turbulence training, using free weights and I would have to say I like the free weights much better and have started to notice the faster results in about two and a half months. compared to the five months on the machines.