starting over at 30?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_N Flay Table, Sep 12, 2007.

1. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

eh.. I want to go back to school...

anyone else do a career change?

2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mrs. HG is your age, and she's considering leaving the world of marketing to enroll in sommelier school.

30 is hardly old enough to consider your career path graven in stone.

3. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I went back to college when I was 31 and got a bachelor's Degree in Nursing...(my first degree was in music)....It was me and 80 19 year old girl's in my class......I fit right in.

4. SoFla8

SoFla8 New Member

Albums:
    I went back to college at 31 and I had lots of fun (night school...all the 30something crowd or older), got all A's, made quite a few friends and learned loads. Go for it.

5. frizzle

Gold Member

Go for it, you can never know too much. I salute you for having the gonads for attempting such a difficulty.

6. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    average student age on many community college campuses is around 30. Good luck in whatever you would like to do. I will be going back to school myself of of these days.

7. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    * Went back to graduate school after 10 years in field.

* Adopted an infant at age 43.

* Resigned from an employer after 20 years of service and started in a totally new field.

* Moved 800 miles away from family and friends.

8. Eva

Eva New Member

I'm 32 and will be enrolling in Art School in another year or so to get my MFA in Painting. (My BA is in writing.)

It's a matter of your own personal happiness. You're never too old to be happy, right?

9. Osiris

Gold Member

HG is right (and by the way, depending on where you are in the US, a sommelier makes soem good money in the right places). I'm 40 and re-evaluating my career and having a lot of luck with it. A lot of people will tell you age is a hinderance, I say not at all. I am 40 and have changed paths twice in my 30s (One forced, one chosen). the only piece of advice I can give you is make sure you weigh salary vs. QOL (Quality of Life). Making a ton of money does you no good if you can't enjoy it.

Hope you get the job you seek DJG!

Cheers!

10. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

Thanks everyone.. I really want to go back to school. but I am not sure even what I want to go for..
    eh.. its scary.

11. burns1de

Gold Member

I'm starting to seriously think about it... Damn unreliable IT market. :mad:

12. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Go for it! 30 is the new 20 anyways! Any ideas what ya wanna try, look out for those college chicks man! Phew!

13. Osiris

Gold Member

Oddly enough, it seems most companies would rather you major in Liberal Arts and minor in the subject that relates to their field as they will pay for schooling to train you as they want you trained.

I hear you there. I was West Coast IT Support for a High Tech PR firm in San Francisco, the bubble burst, layoffs started and I was round 1. Forced career change as it were. I do the odd home and small office metwork set up on the side, but I do not miss high tech at all. If you make that switch, do something you are going to love though.

I think cosmetic surgeon specializing in breast enhancement would be right up your alley. :wink:

14. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Do it. I've thought about going back to uni/college and doing some kind of creative writing course.

Maybe you could write a list or something of things that interest you? Glad to know I'm not the only one with no direction...heh.

15. burns1de

Gold Member

Not really, I prefer naturally-big boobs. :biggrin1:

16. Osiris

Gold Member

I stand corrected. Either an OB GYN, set man for Playboy, or security at the local nude beach.

Just call me the job counselor. :wink:

17. burns1de

Gold Member

Gynecologist sounds great at first, but when you start dealing with 75 year old patients.... not so hot. :smile:

Security at a nude beach sounds sort of pointless. Where would you hide a weapon there anyway?

Wait.... never mind. Oy vey, just got a nice mental image. :eek::wink:

I'll take the Playboy job. :smile:

18. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    My mum started over at 34. n_n Go for it!

In my community college, I see many people 30 and evenmore that are MUCH older.

If you aren't sure, try making your first semester a "toe-in-the-pool" deal. Take what classes interest you, see what you like most, and attempt going into that major while having a side focus on something you liked second-most.

I may not be 30 but I feel anyone can do this at any age. I did it myself. n_n; It's led me into my current Major of Fine Arts (with the focus on sculpture) and I'm taking Japanese on the side.

19. Osiris

Gold Member

I just got this image of you as the nude beach security guy...

"Yes miss, every woman over a D cup must have the penile cavity search. Would you like me to start behind or with the cleavage miss?" :laugh:

20. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, you can go back to school at any age, I'm living proof...and I graduated with high honors! I'm in my 40's. When I was in college in my early 20's I majored in nursing...that is until I had kids. I have always been savvy with money so I went back to get my degree in finance and am so glad I did. A person has much more confidence in their abilities when they are older so less time is spent second-guessing...just jump right in with both feet - you will never regret it.

Draft saved Draft deleted