State of the Union

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the threat of a fillibuster is serving its purpose: to prevent a bad bill from becoming law.

And this is where we disagree. I don't trust government to run health care, you do.
When it comes to making such a drastic change you need to get everyone on board. You can argue percentages all you want 60/40 55/45 or whatever, but the fact is too many Americans don't want it so it shouldn't pass.

there will be times in the future where the reps will have a majority and want to pass a bill into law that liberals will stop in the same manor. And you'll be thank your lucky stars for the fillibuster then.

BTW- dems had 60-40 super majority for a whole year. And they couldn't get their own house to approve it. All the proof you should need to realize that this health care bill was just bad to the core.
Actually you are wrong, both the Senate and the House passed health care reform bills. Unfortunately the clock ran out before they were able to merge the 2 bills.

vlls

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
the threat of a fillibuster is serving its purpose: to prevent a bad bill from becoming law.

And this is where we disagree. I don't trust government to run health care, you do.
When it comes to making such a drastic change you need to get everyone on board. You can argue percentages all you want 60/40 55/45 or whatever, but the fact is too many Americans don't want it so it shouldn't pass.

there will be times in the future where the reps will have a majority and want to pass a bill into law that liberals will stop in the same manor. And you'll be thank your lucky stars for the fillibuster then.

BTW- dems had 60-40 super majority for a whole year. And they couldn't get their own house to approve it. All the proof you should need to realize that this health care bill was just bad to the core.

The "60" majority is relative, because there are some democrats that are just as corrupt as the Republicans. Like I said, the reason why the bill didnt initially pass is because the Republicans wanted to filibuster and because there were around 1 - 5 Democrats who would support them. So it is ridiculous to blame the 55% of Democrats for not passing it, initially. Blame the ones that are voting against it, including the filibuster, which is probably one of the most undemocratic procedures I have ever seen.

And what amazes me about you Republicans is how incapable you are of integrating information and facts. You say that you dont trust the government to run your healthcare. The healthcare reform bill would NOT have done that. The healthcare reform bill continues the status quo i.e. privatized insurance but would put an end to discriminatory practices i.e. preexisting conditions, lower costs both for the government and the consumer and would extend coverage to million more Americans. Where is your patriotism? Why do you want your fellow citizens to NOT have access to healthcare?

In the meantime, you're telling me you DO trust private corporations running your healthcare? The same people that deny people coverage on the basis of pre-existing conditions? The same people that have DOUBLED your premiums in the last 10 years? This is private corporations TAXING YOU my friend, just so that big cat can get his million dollar bonus every year.

Be a patriot. Be for the people. Don't be for corporate fat cats.

matt19

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
we'll just have to agree to disagree on a lot of that.

there are two sides to these isssues, and I believe and trust my sources, those with opposing opinions trust theirs. We can argue who's right and who's wrong and never get anywhere because it is all subjective.

FYI- I am a conservative independent, and I work in the new construction building industry. And it's been so slow this winter that I have time to waste on this forum today. Just incase any of you wanted to know.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
• 59% of speech watchers think that Barack Obama has a clear plan for creating jobs. 40% thought so before the speech.

Besides Obama saying he wants congress to deliver a "jobs bill" to his desk immediately...what is Barack Obama's CLEAR PLAN FOR CREATING JOBS that he articulated in the State of the Union speech?

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Speaking to no one in particular, and setting aside the fact that it's not practical to describe policy details in depth in a 75 min. address that critics will pick on for being too long - especially considering the giant pile of shit that was left on the man's desk by the previous occupant of the Oval - still, I counted at least 8 or 9 specific proposals in the SoU for job creation. More to the point, it is notable and most welcome that Obama has put this at the forefront of his agenda. I'm sure we'll all be hearing a lot more about this, including even more specifics, in the coming days. That is, if you want to clean out your ears and open your mind.

Why, here's some details right here! That is, if you are interested. And can read. To that point, I'm even including a video from the actual address in case you missed it. Enjoy!

Obama Offers Proposals For Small Business Hiring In State Of Union‎

www.baltimoresun.com/.../bal-obama-jobs-plan0128,0,5912345.story

www.mainstreet.com/.../obama-talks-job-creation-state-union

Obama stresses 'jobs' (29 times) and economy in State of the Union‎

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I believe and trust my sources, those with opposing opinions trust theirs . . . it is all subjective.

And therein lies the problem. Broaden your horizons. Open your mind. Listen to both, nay all, sides.

. . . it's been so slow this winter that I have time to waste on this forum today. Just incase any of you wanted to know.

Not really. Maybe this would be a good day to broaden your horizons.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Haha...really?

How about the people that live in the ghetto that don't even follow politics or the candidates, but are herded to the polls and blackmailed with packs of cigarettes by ACORN?

'Here is a pack of cigs, and just walk in there an pull these levers.'

At least the religious right has an opinion. The ACORN people don't have an opinion or a thought. But they get a pack of cigs for a vote.

The tea party people are, by and large, a highly educated group of business owners and leaders of society. MSNBC will show you footage from Hazard, Kentucky. But in the real world, your boss is at the tea party.

Note the bolded delusional statement. Point of fact, if the Tea Bag folks on this big pee pee site are any indication, they are the least educated (and thus, rightfully disenfranchised) members of 'Mericun society.
The Tea Bag boosters who post here are not just typing so fast they make the occasional typos. They are the masters of dangling modifiers, illogical syllogisms, and cannot spell their way out of a paper bag. Average profile is white, male, and 30-ish something. No wonder they are so ill prepared to analyze and make considered decisions. They're from the Reagan years when public education really went down the toilet. Sad. But true.

So be proud, Reagan generation. You were the first graduating classes of the short end of the edjumacashun lolly pop stick. And most of you think this is something to be happy about?

Such dull children. :cool:

MTV generation = Reagan was their first president (for 8 years) = they have the attention span of less than 45 seconds = very fond of bright, shiny things.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
McCullough was probably right on target . . .

Who the Hell is that?

I believe and trust my sources . . .

Once again:

And therein lies the problem. Broaden your horizons. Open your mind. Listen to both, nay all, sides.

In other words, not just the idiots feeding you propaganda you already believe.
That's why there's gridlock and division. The whole problem in a nutshell.

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

You really aren't looking at the bigger picture, aren't you?
The filibuster is doing more than preventing a bill you don't agree with (for whatever reason) from passing. It's preventing ANY legislation from getting passed. 70% of legislation that has been presented to Congress over the last decade has been filibustered. And considering that it wasn't until last year that ANY party had a "super majority", you can see that the problem is MUCH larger than your grievances over "Obamacare". Look beyond what is in front of you once in a while.

Medicare & Medicaid are government run health care plans and still have much support. Besides, where did I say that I trusted government to run health care? Stop thinking in binary, and don't put words in my mouth.

You're wrong again. Most people do want Health Care Reform and it has been proven time and time again with every poll.

The problem is that two bills that have been presented, but you're only paying attention to one of them. The Senate bill gets all of the attention because that's the one that needed to pass before we went to the next step. There is also a House bill that has lots of things it it that the Senate bill does not. Now that both bills have passed, the president will either select one of the bills and sign it, or bring both bills to reconciliation and combine the two into one. There's a lot of speculation as to what will happen next, especially if reconciliation is the next step. But to say that people don't want Health Care Reform is incorrect.

And why would I be thankful for that?
You act as if everyone here are either firmly on one side or the other. I don't blindly support bills just because they're presented by a Democrat or a Republican. Besides, Democrats at one time were in the minority and they too abused the filibuster to some degree. At the end of the day, I want to see the country progress forward. Even if tend to vote liberal, my beliefs are not so intertwined to one side that I cannot recognize a good idea or a good bill when it presents itself.

BTW- dems had 60-40 super majority for a whole year. And they couldn't get their own house to approve it.

That's proof that you're mixed up. Pay attention.
The House did pass a bill. There are 435 people that make up this branch in the Legislative process and there is no threat of a filibuster in the House. The Senate, a completely different branch, makes up 100 people. That's where the 60/40 split existed. The filibuster is a procedure that only exists in this branch of government. Because some Democrats were not in total agreement with some of the provisions, powered with a solid block by the minority party, the Democrats had to focus on getting 60 votes to pass the bill instead of the usual 51 that is necessary to pass it. By blaming only the Democrats, you exonerate the Republicans who have done nothing but oppose legislation even though calls for bipartisanship were being made by Obama (who represents the third branch in the Legislative process), and for attempts to make the bill more acceptable for Conservatives by the Senate Majority Leader. You also expose your own partisan views by assuming that a person who belongs to one party automatically has to adhere to everything that someone on their "team" presents.

This is politics... not a game of football. People have a right to think for themselves, even if those thoughts are rather slighted.

All the proof you should need to realize that this health care bill was just bad to the core.

Actually, it doesn't. And one day, once you put all of the puzzle pieces together you'll see that there's a lot more to this story.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Speaking to no one in particular, and setting aside the fact that it's not practical to describe policy details in depth in a 75 min. address that critics will pick on for being too long - especially considering the giant pile of shit that was left on the man's desk by the previous occupant of the Oval - still, I counted at least 8 or 9 specific proposals in the SoU for job creation. More to the point, it is notable and most welcome that Obama has put this at the forefront of his agenda. I'm sure we'll all be hearing a lot more about this, including even more specifics, in the coming days. That is, if you want to clean out your ears and open your mind.

Why, here's some details right here! That is, if you are interested. And can read. To that point, I'm even including a video from the actual address in case you missed it. Enjoy!

Obama Offers Proposals For Small Business Hiring In State Of Union‎

www.baltimoresun.com/.../bal-obama-jobs-plan0128,0,5912345.story

www.mainstreet.com/.../obama-talks-job-creation-state-union

Obama stresses 'jobs' (29 times) and economy in State of the Union‎

Sorry no...There was no clear plan for creating jobs presented by Obama. When you have a detailed plan presented by the president and evaluated by the OMB and CBO which states how many jobs should be created by the plan, in what industries and in what states then you will have more than promises from Obama given in yet another teleprompter speech of proposals that mimic ideas of the Republicans that he should have just listened to before we wasted 787 Billion dollars on his Stimulus in the first place. :rolleyes:

baldyboy8000

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ACTIONS SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS...ESPECIALLY WHAT OBAMA, REID, OR PELOSI SAYS.
They obviously must think the AMERICAN PEOPLE are ignorant and has no memory. It is all unbelievable.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media

Could someone please remind the holy 3in1 that I no longer address her directly?
It matters not if she quotes me, cites me, even insults me.
I shall not respond, whatever moronic drivel issues from piehole.

Torque8

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Who the Hell is that?

Kevin McCullough is the nationally syndicated host of "'Baldwin/McCullough Radio" now heard on 207 stations and columnist based in New York. He blogs at www.muscleheadrevolution.com. His second book "The Kind Of MAN Every Man SHOULD Be" is in stores now. And host of "The Kevin McCullough Show" weekdays 7a-9am EST on Sirius 161.

Wow, 207 whole radio stations? And a columnist for whom, pray tell? His blog is titled 'Musclehead' Revolution?? I rest my case. Again. Sometimes it's just too easy.

p.s. It's really bad form to amend and edit your post after someone has responded.
But okay, here you go:

And yes, I'm a musclehead.

It's too easy. I'm gonna pass.

I am overwhelmed by irony here. I need a break.

Last edited:

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
star investor and trinity live in their own make believe world and have no connection with political reality WHATSOEVER.
Their analysis of Obama is laughable and pathetic, as their party has NO ONE to approach his skill, intelligence , grasp of what is wrong in america and needs to be fixed. His speech last night was a comprehensive , detailed plan of where we need to go as a nation and how we get there. the GOP party of NO has NO ideas, NO courage, NO morals, NO leaders and NO interest in any American who isnt already rich.
If they refuse to help govern, TO HELL WITH THEM. GOD BLESS BARACK OBAMA.