Stats for Thoughts

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

This was tucked away in a Yahoo News story about AIDS. Interesting.

Source

2. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

It makes a valid point but I doubt it'll be possible to get the medical community (at least in the local arena) to heed the reality of the thing anytime soon unfortunately.

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

In 2005, there was a huge fight in the Montgomery County, MD regarding its revised sex ed curriculum. Parents basically fought to take out discussion of sexual orientation, identity, and some safer sex discussions/videos regarding receptive intercourse. There was also some negative slant regarding fundamentalist religion that was contentious as well. Sad.

Source

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

People's attention span is too short to maintain an idea for much longer than the amount of time the headlines are in front of them. It's almost impossible to capture and keep their attention without virtually daily reminders and they'd better be attractive (or scary) and continually inventive measures or people will get bored with the whole thing again.

Then it starts all over.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Absolutely, Pecker. The puzzling part for me is that 1) If you don't remind the sheep every 5 or 10 minutes, they forget. 2) If you remind the sheep every 5 or 10 minutes, in just half an hour they begin to block out the message due to exposure fatigue.

When trying to get people to adopt careful and responsible behaviors, you just can't win.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Those Anti-Drug commercials sure seemed to work on my generation.

This is your brain...This is your brain on drugs. That stuff was powerful.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

All they ever did for me was make my hungry for some fried eggs.

8. BarebackJack

BarebackJack New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, but they never worked on me... I keep expecting to get high whenever I eat eggs, but nothing happens. :-(

9. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    The problem, as i see it personally, is that without clean, simple labels (gay vs. str8) it becomes difficult to define one's enemy.

While it is more effective and realistic to talk about "men who have sex with men," it is easier to talk about "gay sex." Not only is it easier, but it stigmatizes a portion of the population as "dirty" or "diseased" or even simply "disease prone." "Men who have sex with me" doesn't really define a segment of society. MANY men have some sort of sexual encounter with other men. Even if it's just a handjob. Most of these men don't identify as gay, or even bi. For many of them it's just a matter of convenience: he was horny and the only "thing" available was another guy.

The sad thing is that the traditional method singles out the "gay" community as the carriers and transmitters of disease, and doesn't address the "straight" community where the disease is actually growing fastest. Even worse, it all-together ignores the vast majority of the comunity who fall somewhere between gay and straight.

I think schools need sex ed that is honest and frank. Just because your kid knows that guys can fuck up the ass doesn't mean he's gonna try it. On the flip side, if he doesn't hear about it from a clear, concise source, he WILL hear about it from his peers. And they will fill his head with a lot of myths (you can't get AIDS if you're the top). I say it's better he hear it from a realiable source. Of course, that would mean implying that it's OK to be gay at schools... ahh the travesties!

10. fortiesfun

Gold Member

This is just one more piece of evidence that sexual identity and sexual behavior have only a small correlation. Study after study has shown that if you ask men only about their sexual identity a huge number will self-identify as "straight" but if you carefully review their sexual history, pushing 80% of males will own post-adolescent sexual experience with both sexes. Sexual identity is not founded on our personal experiences, it seems, but on our social roles and a normalizing tendency to think of ourselves in simplified, but unifying, ways.

Discomfort with the fact that behavior, orientation, and identity are three very different things has led to many misunderstandings. We can further the cause here by reminding ourselves that sexual identities are momentary snapshots, and sexual histories don't need to be rationalized away.

11. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    VERY well-put Doc!

12. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Doc--I seriously think that you and few other people need to get together and write a book. Seriously. That was awesome.

13. fortiesfun

Gold Member

Lex:

You are always generous with your praise, and I genuinely appreciate it. Your approval means a lot to me, and for a least a few non-sexual reasons. :smile:

Love you, man.

14. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Love you too, Doc.

You have always been one to extend your knowledge and understanding of things bisexual/gay to members here (you know how much you--and others--helped me). Your voice is always reasoned. That counts a LOT with me.

15. PussyWellington

Albums:

I realize that this is not the point that you Pecker and Lex are making, however I would like to remind everyone that H.I.V. is not just a "homosexual" problem. Please visit the links that I have provided that show that Bayer knowingly sold drugs infected with H.I.V.

Hemophilia-Litigation

AIDS- H.I.V Bayer

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Dirtyde--thanks fo rmaking that excellent point. many would have us believe that only men need fear. I hoped to help people make that logic jump by showing the stats about how many men have sex with men and identify as straight and/or are married.

Draft saved Draft deleted