Stay At Home Means More Work For Women

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why should you be? Is an egalitarian attitude towards housework or a shared opinion of what "clean" is your primary or necessary criteria for forming these relationships in the 1st place?
Notice Im not absolving these purported men of not carrying their weight in the household, Im just wondering what was expected when they never really displayed that behavior in the 1st place, and was given positive reinforcement of these non cleanly behaviors by virtue of your attentions. Or am I missing something, is the contention that these men somehow collectively are fooling women with their cleaning and housework dedication and prowess beforehand, then slacking off later?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yeah, and we haven't had a global in century. Shit happens, needs change, buck the fuck up.

I love that the only thing you had to contribute boils down to "raised expectations are unfair to men" completely glossing over the point that women are operating under the same, and often more burdensome, increase in demand. And only women are expected to step up and deliver.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, and we haven't had a global in century. Shit happens, needs change, buck the fuck up.

I love that the only thing you had to contribute boils down to "raised expectations are unfair to men" completely glossing over the point that women are operating under the same, and often more burdensome, increase in demand. And only women are expected to step up and deliver.
Look, I happen to exist in a space wherein my wife have similar ideas of cleanliness, so admittedly I am looking from the outside in...but Im still trying to see who is expecting these women to step and deliver on this front on a increased level from men? Themselves? Is it these supposed men whom do not clean but expect cleanliness? Is there just some arbitrary standard of clean that women have collectively agreed upon, or are these interactions that should be established early on in relationships no different from emotional openness or financial stability?
Im not saying you shouldnt have a partner that meets your standards but if history shows that certain men just never rise to meet that standard than why concern yourselves with them even if other aspects of their being appeal to your attractions, especially if it proves to be such a burden later on down the road? Especially if there are plenty of men out there with an acceptable standard of cleanliness?

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The standard is set by how they have lived previously. The established acceptable levels of livable that the household is accustomed to.

If kids are home 24/7? Gonna require more work. More people in the house 24/7? Gonna require more work. From cleaning to cooking to providing entertainment to kids and emotional support to others.

Why does the woman take on the extra burden? Because someone has to. And it seems most dudes rather argue how they are being treated unfairly. Most women just buck up and get it done to avoid the bonus chore or wrangling an adult toddler.

I know I have had this exact same conversation with you before in another thread.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why does the woman take on the extra burden? Because someone has to.
Or else what realistically? Im dead serious, one of the most freeing things about having a baby with my wife(after having come into the relationship with her having a daughter) was the threshold for what was considered clean was reasonably relaxed. We found immediately our kids benefitted from this attitude change as we were already tired because of their young age and the mess that came with it, so we werent snapping at them or each other when something didn't get picked up or swept immediately. She started to pick up from me easy ways to mitigate the amount of cleaning to be done later, minimizing the efforts either one of us needed to exert to keep the household livable.
I dont like to wash dishes so I minimize my daily dish use or use disposable dishes..I pass on this strategy to the rest of the house..the parties that are actually more interested in alleviating their burden follow suit and nobody has to wash more dishes, the parties more interested in making a point are free to wash all the dishes they create or facilitate...and I fail to see how this strategy towards other aspects of household duty are completely ignored whenever one of these articles comes out.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Or else what realistically? Im dead serious, one of the most freeing things about having a baby with my wife(after having come into the relationship with her having a daughter) was the threshold for what was considered clean was reasonably relaxed. We found immediately our kids benefitted from this attitude change as we were already tired because of their young age and the mess that came with it, so we werent snapping at them or each other when something didn't get picked up or swept immediately. She started to pick up from me easy ways to mitigate the amount of cleaning to be done later, minimizing the efforts either one of us needed to exert to keep the household livable.
I dont like to wash dishes so I minimize my daily dish use or use disposable dishes..I pass on this strategy to the rest of the house..the parties that are actually more interested in alleviating their burden follow suit and nobody has to wash more dishes, the parties more interested in making a point are free to wash all the dishes they create or facilitate...and I fail to see how this strategy towards other aspects of household duty are completely ignored whenever one of these articles comes out.

Your relationship doesn't represent the rest of humanity.

Point is: for a lot of women the lockdown means more work with less compensation.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your relationship doesn't represent the rest of humanity.

Point is: for a lot of women the lockdown means more work with less compensation.
Im not debating that fact, Im trying to figure out why it has to be that way with choice and selectivity at your disposal. You can opt to make shared responsibility in housework as integral of a tenet towards your confidence in a relationship, as demonstrated sexual fidelity, and a general respect for women can you not? So if you'd leave your dude for cheating on you, or beating on you, or for demonstrating a generally misogynistic attitude, why not for lack of cleanliness to your or whatever subjective standard of clean you subscribe to?
Why is there such an motivation to inspire the unwilling instead of embracing the already willing?

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Professional victims crying again..... they always find a reason.
Look, I too have my doubts as to the veracity and widespread nature of this problem but this is wholly unnecessary and divisive...I think we can be fully capable of defending men without insulting women.

Reactions: Call_Me_Dave

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
World, stop whining!

I have met women, who try to live like Martha Stewart in her TV show. Truth be told, no one knows, if her real life is like the one that she likes to portray on her show.

If you feel that something is too much, DON'T DO IT.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
World, stop whining!

I have met women, who try to live like Martha Stewart in her TV show. Truth be told, no one knows, if her real life is like the one that she likes to portray on her show.

If you feel that something is too much, DON'T DO IT.
I don't think "too much" is the argument as far as women, as opposed to "not enough" as far as men. What I do suspect though, is during easier times they opted to overlook an obvious discrepancy in the amount of housework being performed, a decision that only intensifies the frustrations that have arisen out of this crisis. I find it really hard to believe that all of a sudden, men whom were adeptly handling an equitable portion of household cleaning responsibilities are simply now slacking off.
Maybe it was easier to not argue about it before because he was at work 8+hrs a day and the kids were out of the home daily so that things didnt accumulate that fast. Perhaps the income he was previously generating provided you a lifestyle that made you more willing to sacrifice a higher percentage of your time and effort towards a disproportionate chuck of household cleaning...whatever it was, the inability or unwillingness to be an equitable partner in household cleaning responsibilities, i almost guarantee it revealed itself prior to some level of commitment made(and accepted), and unless it was specifically addressed then, no amount of correctly labeling his immaturity and or laziness overrides the fact you accepted it for what it was.
Sure maybe some guy's wife goes out a bit too much and gets a bit wild with the girls, but you damn well if that's how he met her and committed to her without first specifying his desire to her curtail it, upon his subsequent complaint we'd kind of just collectively shrug our shoulders and ask how mad could he really be? Not that he wouldn't have a point about maybe it being in her and their best interests to mitigate her partying, but ultimately he would have served himself better by perhaps seeking partners who did not party so much....
Ive yet to hear in any woman's account of this "increased and disproportionate housework" being prefaced with just how meticulous and clean their husbands and significant others were on their own before they were together and it's very telling as to why this is a recurring problem.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Im not debating that fact, Im trying to figure out why it has to be that way with choice and selectivity at your disposal. You can opt to make shared responsibility in housework as integral of a tenet towards your confidence in a relationship, as demonstrated sexual fidelity, and a general respect for women can you not? So if you'd leave your dude for cheating on you, or beating on you, or for demonstrating a generally misogynistic attitude, why not for lack of cleanliness to your or whatever subjective standard of clean you subscribe to?
Why is there such an motivation to inspire the unwilling instead of embracing the already willing?

Choice isn't always at our disposal.

You make it seem like it's so black and white, yes or no, left or right. That's not the case.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why do men need to be defended?

I don't think they're being attacked.
The implication is that they are dropping the ball..my assertion is that the ball was already dropped and yall were just too enamored to care at the time...defense is the the wrong word(admittedly), just trying to identify root causes of frustrations.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Choice isn't always at our disposal.

You make it seem like it's so black and white, yes or no, left or right. That's not the case.
Well if thats the case then wouldn't disproportionate household responsibilities be a secondary concern at best? If choice to be or leave a relationship isnt at your disposal than what real relief is his part of the household chores? Is it a case of "oh im not free to leave this relationship if i please, but at least he carries his weight come cleaning time"?
I fully understand it isnt always black or white..maybe there are some things about the shlub you actually like or make your life better...but the unfortunate truth is many times we have to sacrifice what we like or what provides comfort to fulfill a need.

I don't think "too much" is the argument as far as women, as opposed to "not enough" as far as men. What I do suspect though, is during easier times they opted to overlook an obvious discrepancy in the amount of housework being performed, a decision that only intensifies the frustrations that have arisen out of this crisis. I find it really hard to believe that all of a sudden, men whom were adeptly handling an equitable portion of household cleaning responsibilities are simply now slacking off.
Maybe it was easier to not argue about it before because he was at work 8+hrs a day and the kids were out of the home daily so that things didnt accumulate that fast. Perhaps the income he was previously generating provided you a lifestyle that made you more willing to sacrifice a higher percentage of your time and effort towards a disproportionate chuck of household cleaning...whatever it was, the inability or unwillingness to be an equitable partner in household cleaning responsibilities, i almost guarantee it revealed itself prior to some level of commitment made(and accepted), and unless it was specifically addressed then, no amount of correctly labeling his immaturity and or laziness overrides the fact you accepted it for what it was.
Sure maybe some guy's wife goes out a bit too much and gets a bit wild with the girls, but you damn well if that's how he met her and committed to her without first specifying his desire to her curtail it, upon his subsequent complaint we'd kind of just collectively shrug our shoulders and ask how mad could he really be? Not that he wouldn't have a point about maybe it being in her and their best interests to mitigate her partying, but ultimately he would have served himself better by perhaps seeking partners who did not party so much....
Ive yet to hear in any woman's account of this "increased and disproportionate housework" being prefaced with just how meticulous and clean their husbands and significant others were on their own before they were together and it's very telling as to why this is a recurring problem.
I think you're kind of right... to a point. In a lot of relationships, household tasks are often split between partners and I think a lot of times, that can be done along stereotypical gender roles. Yes, that's done by choice/agreement and no one forces this... but it happens a lot. Not always, but a lot. Think about how often the cooking and cleaning is thought of as a woman's work, and things like cutting the grass, taking out the trash and vehicle maintenance is a man's work. If everyone is home 24x7, there are lots more meals to make, dishes to do, items to clean up just by nature of being home. The grass doesn't need mowing any sooner, the trash still goes out on the same day of the week, and the vehicle maintenance has probably become less. Therefore, a woman is bearing a greater burden, just like SB posted. Granted, the woman can renegotiate "her" tasks at any point and SHOULD do so if she's feeling taken advantage of, unfortunately, not every man will consider it.

*Disclaimer... not all men, not all women, not all relationships. Don't get your gutchies in a wad.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
my assertion is that the ball was already dropped and yall were just too enamored to care at the time...

Let's look at this with lenses that see into the past, and which take consideration for how long it actually takes society to evolve.

It wasn't a matter of being enamored in the past. It was a matter of if you didn't properly maintain a clean/kept household and provide a family (children) you were worth nothing. You were property as a woman. Things have changed a lot and for that of course I'm grateful. That doesn't mean older, less equal ways of thinking are completely gone from our society.. there are still subtle and not so subtle issues around sexism and gender roles that we're dealing with today.

Even in my relationship, we've had to have conversations about who's being expected to get more done on a day to day basis. It took time and a bit of pain and compromise to get things to the point we're at... But we go out of our way to make sure we aren't taking advantage of one another when it comes to sharing the load. It still takes work. We still have to talk about it sometimes. I've had to remind him: I work full time and can't be expected to keep the house entirely upkept 100% of the time. He absolutely does his share, but he still has moments where he's expecting too much from me.

It's not necessarily an issue of men not doing enough, to me the issue is when men expect their women to do *more* just because she's expected to do those things as a woman.. and when women internalize it because society has shaped their thinking to agree that it is a woman's job to tend to her man and the home she shares with him.

Reactions: Enid

MennoCoehorn

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Look, I too have my doubts as to the veracity and widespread nature of this problem but this is wholly unnecessary and divisive...I think we can be fully capable of defending men without insulting women.

Hi,

First, I am not insulting women.

Woman is a confident, capable and respectable human being fully in charge of her life.

Professional victims are immature emotionally unstable creatures remotely resembling Homo Sapiens, mostly blaming the other sex (generally all members of other sex) for all issues they have or had and for the lack of happiness and success in their everyday lives.
Instead of taking some time for self reflection and blaming themselves.

Surely you will agree that the above is not a definition of a woman.

Second, I don't defend men.
The accusation (if there is any) is so absurd that no defense is needed.

Also, if there was a valid and obvious reason for some lowlife creatures remotely resembling men, being accused of anything I am the last person who would be defending them. Bastards should be shot dead. Not defended.