Steam room rules?

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just joined a new gym. My old gym was very blue collar working class/military guys. There was little modesty in the lockers, showers and steam room. This new gym has a lot of white collar guys that are either office types or medical professionals. I walked to the steam room naked and was alone so I only used my towel to sit on. Eventually a guy came in and saw me naked so he dropped his towel and we wound up talking for a bit. The next time I went in I was surprised to see about 7 guys all wearing their towels. I was naked so I wrapped myself before I sat. After a while I thought fuck it and dropped my towel and layed back. It's a big room with lots of space so it wasn't like I was in someone's face.
Do guys in most gyms keep towels on? In high school & college I never experienced this. Is this yet another part of modesty in American culture?
I have to tell you, laying naked and talking man to man just felt good. I'll miss that if this gym is uptight.
Jake

Reactions: briefsguy1993

aviatorguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
All you American guys need to come to Europe, chill out and get naked!!! There is one sauna at my gym with 2 doors one from the female changing room the other from the mens, everyone men/women/boys and girls are naked, natural and not hung up in anyway about their bodies or genitalia!!

Trigon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe, you're thinking about this too hard, Jake.

I was in a similar situation, in which a guy brought his three boys with him into the sauna and asked me if I would "mind" covering up. I told him that I would very much mind, because the steamroom is just about the only place left in the gym a guy can get out of his clothes for awhile and relax. He called me a jerk and marched his kids right out of there.

If his son wasn't ready to sit in a steamroom with grown men, his dad shouldn't have been bringing him.

I always sit on my towel. I don't give damn what other people do.

The only place I found it "weird" was in a sauna at a gym I went to. I walked in carrying my towel and found a man with his two young sons and they were all in their swimsuits! There's no sign that says you have to wear anything and this A-hole turned down the temperature so it was under 120F. I just turned around and left. The politics of me being naked with two young children and their uptight father was just not worth a sauna.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was in a similar situation, in which a guy brought his three boys with him into the sauna and asked me if I would "mind" covering up. I told him that I would very much mind, because the steamroom is just about the only place left in the gym a guy can get out of his clothes for awhile and relax. He called me a jerk and marched his kids right out of there.

If his son wasn't ready to sit in a steamroom with grown men, his dad shouldn't have been bringing him.
Once walked into the sauna (which has a sliding glass door) and saw a guy with his three sons, all nakey.

It was cute: dad was real big, the 17ish was big, the 15ish was medium, and the 12-13ish was dinky. :wink: I add that was years ago and I doubt that would happen in today's environment. :frown1: Only the dad might be naked.

SpandexGear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I choose my current gym based on what I had seen in the men's lockeroom -- not the guys -- just their habits. :wink:

Good mix of both (99% str8) blue and white collar guys. It is a 50/50 split when it comes to wearing a towel in the locker area -- but in the wet areas (toilets, urinals, sinks, shaving bar, massage room, whirlpool, sauna and steam room) every guy is butt naked.

Some new guys will try and wear a towel for awhile in the wet area -- but then they catch on that every guy goes naked -- espeically in the sauna, steam room and whirlpool areas -- as it should be.

As soon as I saw that dudes were butt naked with no hang ups -- just guys being guys -- I signed up at the gym.

Reactions: RSMH and cloverleaf

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Steam room etiquette in my gyms has always been totally naked. Men feel comfortable being naked but as a matter of being hygienic i always bring a towel to sit or lie on. If guys want to cover up with a towel then they can do that. But really now. In a steam room that is not necessary. I have never known any kind of blue/white collar differentiation.
Once I was in the steam room when a Japenese guy and his five year old son came into the steam room completely naked for the steam and they were chatting away, completely comfortable with being naked. As this was happening, I was in the steam room with my best friend's little boy who was two years old and my friend's son wanted to go into "the hot room". Knowing it was a public place and that i and my friend were well known i did keep my trunks on and his boys as well.
After just a few minutes in the steam room, my friend's son was looking overwhelmed from the heat and looked at me said "I'm hot" so I picked him up and exited.
Meanwhile, Japanese guy and his son were happily chatting away and laughing. Perhaps at the stupid blonde guy and kid in suits.
Anyway, my friend's poor kid was over heated and we both needed to shower so I got naked and got the kid naked and showerd holding him and we both got all cleaned up and I got him dressed.
When I told my friend about this he just laughed and laughed and wondered why I would be so concerned with being naked in front of a child and said that he liked how the Japenese guy was with his son.
ANYWAY - Jake, no guys at my gym have towels except me and my towel is to sit or lie on. Do what you will until ayone tells you not to.

Reactions: RSMH

nicedaddy36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my town the YMCA is the major health club chain in town. There are about 15 YMCA's but the main one is the downtown YMCA. The downtown Y has a huge steam room and a huge open group shower room and there is LOTS of nudity. Some guys wear towels in the steam room but most don't. There are even a couple who will shower in their towels which I find very weird.

There is one guy - mid 30s, nice looking - who showers in his tighty whitie briefs. He doesn't have a big bulge in then so maybe he's embarassed, but it's still weird that he showers in his briefs. A few weeks ago I saw him with his son at the YMCA and of course his son also showered in his briefs, just like his dad. It's sad that the dad is so uptight about his body but it's even more sad that he's making his son into such a prude.

It used to be a requirement that you were 18 or older to go to the downtown YMCA. Maybe that's why it also is a very cruisy YMCA with quite a bit of action in the men's lockerroom area. After 7 p.m. on week nights, you can get (or give) a blowjob almost any day. It's a fun YMCA.

I'm a nudist, so I NEVER wear a towel into the steam or sauna, but I do carry one with me and sit on it.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How can anybody wear clothes or a towell in a steam room? Isn't it like, way too hot?

Is declining social sexual mores, leading to people becoming nude-phobic?

Or are people just not trained, that they don't always have to be so "shy" and bashful in every public nudity acceptable setting?

If somebody is showering, oh I don't know, maybe at the swimming pool, and in walks some parent towing along opposite-sex children of young age, because toddlers can't wander in alone, why should the person showering have to cover up? Nudity is to be expected in shower rooms and locker rooms. Duh?

Makes be glad not to be a member of some fitness club/swimming, so I don't seem to have to deal with such nonsense?

Reactions: cjj2k

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Speaking of- I did see 2 dads with their sons in the lockerroom a few months ago (it was obviously 'divorced dads weekend'), I was very impressed- both men (straight is what my 'radar' said), were really encouraging in the work out..showing weights etc... treadmill....

then in the locker room, they handed them towels, said 'strip down' time for the sauna- really giving them the whole 'men experience'... I did notice the 2 sons glancing at their nude dads, and just being faily normal with it all (dads in boxers, sons in briefs)

I later heard the sons giggling as they went into the showers...'' the 2 did use the 'handicapped' shower together (bigger)...

What really touched me about the whole thing, was the opposite of what seems to be happening, these two dads, with their sons, showing how it 'should' be (ie its okay to be (gasp) naked in a locker room, its okay to use the sauna (I walked past, and glanced but did not see clothes on)...

Heynowfolks

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
{I'm from the USA}

I can't believe that there is concern about nudity in a steam room or locker room... heck when I was in middle school, when we swam in the pool we were all nude. Of course, to answer the obvious next question, they separated men/women. No, we never figured out a way to get into the pool area when the girls were swimming. I have trouble understanding all this concern about being nude around people of the same gender ! What a strange country we live in.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Wear the towel. It's distracting otherwise when talking.

I don't get that at all.

When I was a kid my dad took my brother and me to his club every other weekend when we visited him and into the sauna even though supposedly you weren't supposed to unless you were 18 (so a sign said). No one ever wore clothing or towels there or anywhere in the locker rooms or showers and it always seemed perfectly natural to us. I don't see why being children should have anything to do with it and I don't understand this country's unnatural preoccupation with healthy nudity.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
At my YMCA 99% of the guys there don't wear anything in the sauna

We go in wearing a towel then the towel comes off

As it should be... Nude is natural, and in saunas we are there to sweat it out, (not hide out), and, also possibly have some fun, when the 'company' in them is agreeable.

A/B

Reactions: parchissi

Dutchstud

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Here in Europe, both in the West as well the East (Russia) male nudity is no issue. Ethnic newcomers with an Islamic background may feel uncomfortable and keep their underwear on, which leads to non-understanding between the eh... Euros and the "newcomers".

Reactions: easytwist

lovin_california

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I walk in with a towel, and if there are other people there, depending on the situation, I'll leave it on or take it off. I don't have a problem going nude, but I don't want to make other guys feel uncomfortable as well.

Easytwist I'd love to walk in and see you naked. ;)

Reactions: easytwist