stereotypes---got me wondering

Donk: Came across a joke on this topic:

A guy is sitting on an airplane next to an attractive woman who is reading a magazine. He decides to make some small talk and asks what she is reading.
"It's an interesting article on penis size," she replies.
"Really? What does it say?" he asks.
"Well, it says here that Jewish men tend to have the longest penises, but American Indians tend to have the thickest penises."
"Hmm. Interesting."
"By the way, here I am talking about something as intimate as penis size and I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Jane Smith." She extends her hand.
"Tonto Kowalski. Pleased to meet you . . ."

Longhornjok: [quote author=Donk link=board=meetgreet;num=1056644650;start=0#19 date=06/28/03 at 12:38:28] Your knowledge is limited. "Oriental" is an adjective that can refer to people, objects, animals, or ideas that are from or related to the East. (The term literally refers to the the place of the rising sun.) The equivalent term for things or people from the West is "Occidental" (refering to the setting sun). The more you know . . .[/quote]
Donk, I think that definition may be found in certain dictionaries, but the term apparently has fallen out of disfavor with Asian-Americans:

Nikkei View
by Gil Asakawa
A regular column of pop culture and politics from a Japanese American perspective

Rugs are Oriental; I am Asian...

Here's one of most helpful the explanations... tracing the word back to the collapse of the Roman Empire: "Although some people view 'Occidental' as the opposite of 'Oriental,' meaning the white Europeans, the term originally meant the eastern European or western Asia... What was left of the Roman empire was split into two, the Occidental Empire and the Oriental Empire. This is how I believe the terms got started. 'Orient' is a Latin term for 'east' and 'occident' is a term for 'west.'"

The accepted rule is that "Oriental" is a word for inanimate objects from Asia, but not for people. If you're describing people from Asia, use the word "Asian" -- or better yet, take the time to discern beyond the racial distinctions and find out what country or heritage people are from. Asia is an awful big place, and there are many discrete cultures and traditions from Chinese and Japanese to Korean, East Indian, Tibetan, Vietnamese, Thai.... and within each country, different cultures thrive in different regions. There's a natural inclination to simplify the world and file people under broad categories. But few people would without a thought lump Italians and Swedes or French and English together culturally and ethnically, just because they all happen to be Europeans. For some reason, it seems easier to assume that all Asians think alike and act alike just because they look alike (of course, we don't all look alike either, but that's another column).

No one calls Eastern Europeans "Occidentals," and "Oriental" today is considered by Asians to be a derogatory term because it reflects centuries of a western-centric view of the world, which assumed that civilization and knowledge flowed from Europe to the rest of the world. The cultures of Asia, of course, in particular China, are much older and was refined long before Europeans wandered to other continents...

www.imdiversity.com/villages/asian/Article_Detail.asp?Article_ID=5472

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I asked an Asian-American friend how he felt about being referred to as 'Oriental'. He just shrugged and said, "I don't really mind; It beats the hell out being called 'slope', 'chink', 'gook', 'jap', or 'nip'." Yeah ... I guess it would.

H8Monga: Wow Donk... I did learn a new word! And with the "the more you know..." I actually heard the little jingle they play on NBC!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
[quote author=Longhornjok link=board=meetgreet;num=1056644650;start=20#21 date=06/28/03 at 18:51:40]The accepted rule is that "Oriental" is a word for inanimate objects from Asia, but not for people. If you're describing people from Asia, use the word "Asian" -- or better yet, take the time to discern beyond the racial distinctions and find out what country or heritage people are from.[/quote]

Awesome response -- couldn't have said it any better.

I had a Korean friend whose mother really didn't take kindly to the Asian confusion as well. Korean and other Asian cultures differ in many serious and meaningful ways, and when she was called... Chinese, for instance... it was one of those subtle but hurtful blows to her cultural pride. On the one hand, she couldn't blame a stupid American for not knowing the difference. (And really, how American-centric are we? Like Tragic joked with me earlier today, Americans get on the Brits' case for not knowing American sports. And we're the only ones that call it "soccer," right?) On the other hand, she didn't feel it necessary to have to be a constant incorrect reference. Better put, she would have rather had someone inquire about her culture than to make a dumb assumption from first glances -- and I would agree with her sentiment, too.

Besides, it couldn't hurt to get a little more informed.

For starters... ever wonder why Greeks rarely, if ever, put salt and other condiments on a table at meal time?

H8Monga: Never noticed... but I bet the food's so good, no need for salt... right?

H8Monga: Do people really feel compelled to comment about a thread's topic if it evolves? I find it as annoying as people calling others "wack" in a chatroom if no one talks to them or they don't like the topic.

gigantikok: hmm, i never thought about it, but the term Oriental really does generalize, doesn't it? I don't really have anything super meaningful to contribute to the subject, so I shouldn't even be posting, but thanks for the heads...we prolly should get on topic though, for prepky's sake. :)