stereotypes of femininity

B_Nia88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My emotions became more heightened, a lot less aggressive and cry more when angry, though a lot less depression which probably has to do with being the "correct" gender now.

curiousvirgin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really hate that...crying when angry, worst part it it's totally uncontrollable ... wish that wasn't a feminine trait...>.<
I guess women are more prone to shed tears ... would that be a stereotype..or just a hormonal inclination...its probably both...

D_Hillary_Clitton

Account Disabled
Media
I am very feminine, but also have some more masculine traits that I feel are hard to express while still looking appealing to men, so it's frustrating sometimes.

I am a lot stronger than I look, and hate when men offer to carry/move things for me. I know they are just being nice, but in a way, my brain tells me that they see me as frail and useless, and I do not like that feeling.

I am also fairly sex-driven for a woman and have absolutely no issues discussing sex and sexual things, and making it clear that I am a horny, sex-loving woman. A lot of guys take this as very masculine behavior, and fail to see me as "lady like" because of it. Either that, or they assume I am easy, which could be further from the truth. Also, a lot of women find it inappropriate and hard to relate to me when discussing these issues.

atlclgurl

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am fully capable of being so "butch" that I know how to correctly use a wide variety of power tools. I can and have built things (decks, etc) and if pushed I'd venture to say that I could probably build an entire house.

I am also fully capable of flipping the girly switch and getting dressed up for a night out wearing my little black dress, make up and the slightest hint of eau de parfum.

I feel like a woman at all times.

The feminine being. In nature most of the males have the colour, like Peacocks for example, and many other species. Yet in many cases it is the female that posesses the deadliest bite. Maybe the feminine side of the female feels the need to dress it up to even the field.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I find fault in assigning gender to traits. In fact, I think it is this genderization of traits that forms the nucleus around which sexism condenses: Men "are supposed to have" Y set of qualities. Women "are supposed to have" X set of qualities. Y qualities are masculine and X qualities are feminine, and any man with X qualities is feminine and that's bad, and any woman with Y qualities is masculine and that's bad.

I just don't buy into that reasoning.

Why can't we just have HUMAN qualities? Really? Why is it so hard to recognize that the variance in human beings isn't binary. There aren't just deep voices and high voices, but rather voices of every tone in-between. There aren't just nurturing people and neglectful people, but people of every capacity for care in-between. There aren't just fashionistas and slobs, but people of every state of dress in-between. Every single one of these qualities, whether displayed by a male or a female, is human.

*humps joyboytoy79's leg*

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
is fitting a srereotype a bad thing if it is "normal/natural" for that person?
no. or yes. depending on the stereotype.
if it's wearing a skirt and fretting about your nails as a woman, no.
if it's mugging old ladies as an inner city teen, yes.
for the most part i say that if you're being true to yourself, as long as it harms nobody else, is cool.

B_Nia88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
for the most part i say that if you're being true to yourself, as long as it harms nobody else, is cool.

hugs, i appreciate your words. being true to yourself is so important.

B_Coconutz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am fully capable of being so "butch" that I know how to correctly use a wide variety of power tools. I can and have built things (decks, etc) and if pushed I'd venture to say that I could probably build an entire house.

I am also fully capable of flipping the girly switch and getting dressed up for a night out wearing my little black dress, make up and the slightest hint of eau de parfum.

I feel like a woman at all times.

So, rediculous stereotypes are only correct if YOU use them?

B_Coconutz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

So, you are saying that some stereotypes are OK? What is your determining factor?

Dolf,.....love your new avatar. Very subtle.

Last edited:

D_Sharon Taint

Account Disabled
Media
The problem with stereotypes is whether you subscribe to them or not, they may still indirectly guide your actions.

e.g. I might not be racist, but because I possess knowledge of a negative social stereotype, I may be predisposed to behave a certain way when making a threat appraisal towards a person of a certain origin. Things like IAT demonstrate this well.

Messy stuff.

Sorry for verbal diarrhea, just letting my brain out of textbook for a bit.

B_Coconutz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The problem with stereotypes is whether you subscribe to them or not, they may still indirectly guide your actions.

e.g. I might not be racist, but because I possess knowledge of a negative social stereotype, I may be predisposed to behave a certain way when making a threat appraisal towards a person of a certain origin. Things like IAT demonstrate this well.

Messy stuff.

Sorry creamy, as a human being, you 'guide' your own actions.

D_Sharon Taint

Account Disabled
Media
Insofar as you are cognizant of what you are "guiding" at that given moment. Human beings are mental misers, a lot of what we do is executed at an implicit, not explicit level.

We form a stereotype/schema for a simple reason: they help us immediately categorize something, allowing rapid appraisal with no effortful thought required.

Yes, you can override much of this by stopping to consider the what's and why's, but that requires situational antecedents that may or may not be present.

There is a lot more influencing how you act than just you.

Last edited: