stereotypes of femininity

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Dear Coconutz - I know you dislike off-topic posting but I don't really care - your misuse of the apostrophe is bugging the hell out of me.

The apostrophe in words like isn't, don't and can't goes between the 'n' and the 't'. This is because it is making a mark to represent the dropped 'o' of 'not' - is not, do not, can not. The contraction in these examples is the dropping of the syllable in the spoken form (2 syllable do not becomes 1 syllable don't) not the loss of the space in the written form.

Writing do'nt, ca'nt and is'nt strengthens people's notions that you are just a bit thick.

regards,

MB

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dear Coconutz - I know you dislike off-topic posting but I don't really care - your misuse of the apostrophe is bugging the hell out of me.

The apostrophe in words like isn't, don't and can't goes between the 'n' and the 't'. This is because it is making a mark to represent the dropped 'o' of 'not' - is not, do not, can not. The contraction in these examples is the dropping of the syllable in the spoken form (2 syllable do not becomes 1 syllable don't) not the loss of the space in the written form.

Writing do'nt, ca'nt and is'nt strengthens people's notions that you are just a bit thick.

regards,

MB

Oh great flaming monkey balls THANK YOU, Manly!

B_Nia88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

regards,

MB

MB you are a stereotype of the grammar police

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

regards,

MB

*Humps MB's leg*

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Back to the OP.....:smile:

I never felt that feminine growing up - so I really felt that I had to try to present myself as I thought women were supposed to. High heels, skirts, long nails etc. I could never bring myself to giggle & flirt - my brain was always where my self-esteem came from, certainly not from my looks.

As I got older and more comfortable with myself, I came to embrace certain femine aspects and tossed away others. I don't like wearing high heels - I walk a lot and heels are impractical. I take good care of my hands, but my nails are fairly short, clean & buffed - I type a lot at work and long nails slow me down; I cook a lot and flaked nail polish is disgusting in food! I like pedicures and polish my toenails. I like wearing dresses - I have great legs, plus you don't have to match anything together except jewelry. I'm a 40 minute woman - alarm to out the door in the morning - includes shower, makeup and hair. I'm a nuturer and a mama bear. I can cry with the best of them. Apparently I walk and move in very feminine ways.

I'm also assertive, decisive, a great handyman, damn good driver, great boss, have sex drive higher than most men and have raised 2 boys to be excellent men. I've been more man than most of the men I've dated.

I may look feminine, but scratch the surface and you are going to find pure steel underneath.

spoon

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I never felt that feminine growing up - so I really felt that I had to try to present myself as I thought women were supposed to. High heels, skirts, long nails etc. I could never bring myself to giggle & flirt - my brain was always where my self-esteem came from, certainly not from my looks.

As I got older and more comfortable with myself, I came to embrace certain femine aspects and tossed away others. I don't like wearing high heels - I walk a lot and heels are impractical. I take good care of my hands, but my nails are fairly short, clean & buffed - I type a lot at work and long nails slow me down; I cook a lot and flaked nail polish is disgusting in food! I like pedicures and polish my toenails. I like wearing dresses - I have great legs, plus you don't have to match anything together except jewelry. I'm a 40 minute woman - alarm to out the door in the morning - includes shower, makeup and hair. I'm a nuturer and a mama bear. I can cry with the best of them. Apparently I walk and move in very feminine ways.

I'm also assertive, decisive, a great handyman, damn good driver, great boss, have sex drive higher than most men and have raised 2 boys to be excellent men. I've been more man than most of the men I've dated.

I may look feminine, but scratch the surface and you are going to find pure steel underneath.

lafemme, :You_Rock_Emoticon:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

You make it sound like you prefer the side of yourself you think of as masculine and that you view it as superior.

That makes me feel sad - especial the bit about 'look[ing] feminine, but scratch the surface and you are going to find pure steel underneath' - one of the things in common I take from all my female role models is strength. I really don't see it as a quality that is not feminine. I'm sorry you do.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*ponders* i sorta read Ms. Femme's post like she used stereotypes as a base for her list of what is seen as masculine and what is seen as feminine. like "parts of me would be called masculine, parts would be called feminine... is all LaFemme-ine to me."

like she dresses in what popular culture would say is a feminine way.
but, she's got interests and abilities popular culture would say are more masculine.

it's the stereotype that strips attributes like self-sufficient, strength, aggression, determination from the feminine. not sure she is internalizing those same restriction.

*goes to re-read post*

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
*ponders* i sorta read Ms. Femme's post like she used stereotypes as a base for her list of what is seen as masculine and what is seen as feminine. like "parts of me would be called masculine, parts would be called feminine... is all LaFemme-ine to me."

like she dresses in what popular culture would say is a feminine way.
but, she's got interests and abilities popular culture would say are more masculine.

it's the stereotype that strips attributes like self-sufficient, strength, aggression, determination from the feminine. not sure she is internalizing those same restriction.

*goes to re-read post*

This is what I meant. Using the stereotypical parts that all combine to make me. I don't dislike the feminine part of me and I don't dislike the masculine part of me - they all combine to make me who I am.

What I don't like is when someone, usually a man, tries to force me into a stereotypical role and is surprised when they scratch the surface. Sometimes men don't like the fact that I know more about how to fix things around the house, or what that funny noise is in the engine. Sometimes a man really is a bad driver and I need to do it if I don't want to endanger my life.

I view women as being strong, and my role models are strong women. So I'm sorry that a couple of you viewed my post as me seeing 'masculine' traits as superior - I don't. As ML says, it's the stereotypical view that strips those traits from the feminine, while in reality the feminine is inherently strong.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I grew up in a third generation feminist household, you could say, where my mother's mother was an equally influential MD as her MD husband, and my mom got her higher degree while my dad put her through school, and then until they divorced she made more money. But having the freedom to be female at home did not prepare me for the double standards of the society all around. Though I could never be mistaken for a male, I have always been uncomfortably aware of how females are treated like an underclass even when we are not a minority. And it made me loathe to fit into the forms the media put out for 'feminine beauty', especially if they involved physical discomfort. Makeup itched and didn't come in shades that matched my actual skin. Girdles and heels and false hair? Torture!

Believe me, even now when I am old and getting whiskers, you would never be able to mistake me for a male. That's plenty, thanks.

In my opinion the ones who dress the most 'femininely' with the stockings and maquillage and and hairstyles and so on are transvestites. That is because all these adornments were designed to please males, so males understand their use best.

Edit: I guess that's merely a reflection of my own ignorance of their proper use, hmm?

Last edited:

B_Coconutz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

regards,

MB

That's where I put them. I separate the 2 words where I feel they should be. I have no idea why you are concentrating on my punctuation. Have you read some of the other posts? If you think I am thick because of it, once again you are mistaken. If you do'nt like it, do'nt read it. Actually, if I put a ca'nt in there, it was a mistake.......I usually use can't.:tongue:

Can we use this as an example?
doll, your first language isn't even english and you still manage to write better than that!

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Can we use this as an example?

Yes, dolf doesn't use caps - otherwise her punctuation and grammar are both fine. Also the content of 95% of her posts is worth reading, even when I disagree, so the caps thing doesn't bother me. Is that what you meant?

That's where I put them. I separate the 2 words where I feel they should be. I have no idea why you are concentrating on my punctuation. Have you read some of the other posts? If you think I am thick because of it, once again you are mistaken. If you do'nt like it, do'nt read it. Actually, if I put a ca'nt in there, it was a mistake.......I usually use can't.:tongue:

Well where you put them is wrong and makes you look stupid. The rule is as stated above, whether you like it or not.

You can't follow very basic rules of orthography and you often use warped logic to jump to conclusions that fly in the face of empirical evidence. You also regularly refuse to recognise the veracity of opinions that differ from your own. So, yes, I do think you are thick. I think you think you are very clever and erudite, but you certainly don't come across that way to me.

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

In these instances, an apostrophe's purpose is not to separate words, but to indicate where letters have been removed. After all, it's not two words any longer, but one.

If you usually write "can't" correctly, why don't you adopt the same rule for all the other aforementioned words?

Oh wait, we're nagging you aren't we? Guess that's another feminine trait...