Stereotypes... run for cover!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rugbypup, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Occasionally on this site, a brave soul will step up and challenge the propagation of stereotype and racist slurs and bravo to them to.

I however wish to see just how many of you know of a national stereotypes.

I apologies unreservedly for any offence caused. The nature of this thread is to see what people hold as commonly held stereotypical views of the worlds nations.

Feel free to add any I've missed...

The English, aka limey's or wingeing pomms. All have bad teeth are addicted to gin, tea and cucumber sandwiches. Also one of the few races to use 'glass' as a verb. Have a unique passion for grey skies and rain.

The welsh, aka taffys. All live in remote mountain communities and worship sheep. They have a ferocious pride for a completely dead language and up until recently, could be legally shot if found trespassing on English land.

The Irish, aka paddys or micks. All have more alcohol in the blood than, well, blood. The Irish are considered a violent, work shy, low brow and aggressive peoples. Their nation emblems include the potato and a pint of Guinness.

The Scottish, aka, jocks. Famous for drinking and violence, they all have red hair, light blue skin and a language not too dissimilar to the sound of farting in the bath. One of the few races to accept transvestitism into main stream culture due to the fear of being beating to within an inch of your life if you mistakenly call it a skirt.

The French, aka frogs. Arrogant, rude and as convincing as soldiers as toast cut into strips. Masters of the worst language in Europe, they all love cheese but can't actually cook for shit, hence the need to eat lower forms of life like snails and frogs. Renowned for their big noses.

The Germans, aka crouts. Efficient, sharp, wealthy but speak a louder and ruder form of Klingon. Known for their distinct lack of humour in any form, their love of David Hasselhoff, techno music and scat sex videos. PS, don't mention the war.

The Greeks, aka Stavro's, Spearos's or bubbles. Not really much of note here since about BC. Known for their hatred of the Turkish, their love of nude statues, man on man sex and olives. Many may know the Greek sewage systems are too small for toilet paper to be flushed away. The custom here is to wipe ones arse and leave shitty tissue in a small bin next to the toilet.

The Italians, aka eyties or wops. A passionate and fiery people with the drawback of not actually knowing what they are passionate or fiery about. Home of the roman empire, the pizza, hairy women and piss poor architecture when it came to towers. It is said many Italian men seek to marry a women exactly like their mothers. Italian women are said to say nothing because they are usually too busy in the kitchen.

The Spainish, aka spics. Known for their national love of animal cruelty, over fishing every sea they have not been forcible removed from, flamenco dancing and sheltering English criminals on the Costa Del Crime. Said to be the first nations to adopt manyana work ethic which has since spread to all their former colonies.

I am sure there are many many more...

#1 Rugbypup, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    And you just HAD to include racial slurs? A "spic" is a disrespectful slur used against hispanics, why did you feel it was necessary to include racial slurs? They have nothing to do with stereotypes, it's just a disrespectful way to refer to them.

I'm sure your bait will be taken by many but for what it's worth, I'm letting you all know that this is a shitbomb waiting to happen. "Hey, let's talk about the worst stereotypes of ethnicities!" It is with great honor and pride that I place the OP on ignore because it's clear where his mind is at, he's looking to stir the pot so I gracefully hand the spoon to the next poster as I need to clear up some of the vomit that just came up at the site of such a stupid fucking thread.

#2 marleyisalegend, Jul 12, 2008
  3. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't forget us limeys in there Marley. :rolleyes:

For the record, I thought that was just a common rhyming slang or nick name, but perhaps that's an English thing.

The rest of the world isn't quite as God fearingly PC as the good old US of A.

Stereotypes and racism go hand in hand, these things exist, why can't we talk about them and even make light of them?

#3 Rugbypup, Jul 12, 2008
  4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

This thread is definitely not for those who take offense at terms like "black hole."

Either lighten up, ml, or ignore the thread.

5. Xcuze

Gold Member

I can't believe you bottled out of an American stereotype. You can still edit one in - do pups have balls?

6. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I'd be interested in seeing what someone else had to say about Americans. :tongue:

7. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    God bless you XCUZE.

I did indeed bottle the American stereotype, namely due to the explosive over reaction of folk like Marley.

This was to be a light hearted poke at how we ignorantly see other nations not an exercise in political correctness.

Interestingly, as a nation, do Americans know there is a stereotype of them out there? :wink:

#7 Rugbypup, Jul 12, 2008
  8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

pup, you nailed them on the head!

9. Xcuze

Gold Member

So now we just get Americans agreeing with these stereotypes. Great.

Americans are indeed mega-PC. A couple of weeks back I PMd an English dude here who thought it was a good idea to start an "Irish jokes" thread and warned him it would backfire & be mis-understood. It was indeed. I think the first reaction was similar to Marleys!

10. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

yes -- to accommodate globalism, Americans have been asianized, so that the greatest offense is to "offend"; never mind that there should be an OBJECTIVE truth

which has a chilling effect on speech on issues that may be race-based, ethnic-based, etc

11. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    So what, you've been PC'd to the point where no one has a stereotype in the US?

I'm not being malicious here, I'm taking the piss.

Good lord, any one would think I was trying to make a group of Germans smile. :rolleyes:

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

No - I'm sorry Pup - I just don't see the need for this thread. What is it about? What does it prove? What's the point? What is the entertainmwnt value? I just don't get it.

You want to see what national stereotypes we can come up with? Do you understand that me reading the phrase "The Irish, aka paddys or micks" is akin to a black person reading the phrase "Blacks, aka piccaninnies or n****rs"?

I suppose the defense is Pecker's don't come in the thread if you can't take the heat? Well fuck off! I do not have to put up with that shit nor have a sense of humour about it. And the best defense is NOT to ignore it.

I debated whether to PM this or make it public and I've decided the offense was public and I'm not scurry off to PM to beg for a PM apology. If you all end of up thinking I don't have a sense of humour about this well 10 out of 10, you're right! Sue me! Or better yet ban me. Then go find yourself a tame paddy who will laugh at crass jokes.

I don't listen to this shit from anyone - not IRL, not online.

13. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    My point, if not oh so subtle, is so many people seem to have lost the ability to laugh and take the piss out of ourselves for just that sake.

Why must it always boil down to aggression?

If we can't laugh at ourselves, as nations, then show me were humour died so I can send some flowers. PC advocates have got so so many people so afraid to make lite of stereotypes. It's a bit shocking really, more so the number of people who have read this as a direct racial attack.

When we loose the ability to take the piss, we become so frighteningly insular it's frankly as dangerous as those who advocate such stereotypes as truth.

14. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    More so, people seem to be shocked and offended by the slang names for different nationalities. I think this must be a cultural thing.

New Zealand's are not offended by being referred to as Kiwis, nor Australians as Aussies. The Irish will be the first to tell you their knowns as paddys and so would the Scott's tell you their nationals are known as jocks.

The French call the English Roast Beef (often to our faces) and the English openly call the French Frogs. There is simply no hatred, aggression or racism involved.

Everyone jokes that the German are first on the beach and sun loungers with beach towels and the whole of Europe was giggling at the Greeks, wondering if they were ever going to finish their Olympic stadium before the games started.

What are you all so up tight about?

#14 Rugbypup, Jul 12, 2008
  15. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

i have some doubts that "paddy" is the equivalent of the n-word...simply for the fact that myself & MB still censored "the n-word" but had no prob typing "paddy" and "mick"...if the word was so terrible that everyone was worried about the reaction, we'd havta say "m---" or whatever...

i dont get the angry reaction thus far...normally i dont jump up in the serious threads either, i tend to hang out in "huge natural tits on a thin body" or whatever...but this one struck me...i really have no prob with pointing out stereotypes...because its a fucking stereotype...no one is saying that every single irish person, man woman child, is a drunken brawler...but hey, we have that reputation, and its for a reason...cuz a lot of us are...

American stereotypes: entitlement. we expect everyone to learn our language. we're fat. we're lazy. we're loud & obnoxious. we're bullies. we're uneducated. and fuck, its all true! now obviously not every single american is uni-lingual, obese and vulgar...but when you take our society has a whole, we're one of the fattest countries on the planet, we're notorious for not learning foreign languages & customs especially when visiting another country, and our education levels are far behind most european and asian countries.

stereotype: (1) a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group.
    (2) A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

16. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

im half-irish, half-italian...that makes me a McWop :biggrin1:

17. Helboy

Helboy New Member

Oh and you forgot to add the New Zealanders and Aussies..

Loud mouthed,Big Headed Braggers who think that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

The Women are all dogs and give it up on the first night after 15 tinnies of Xtra strong anything thats going.

Guys who walk round in flip flops and shorts whatever the weather thinking they look cool but in essence look like a prick.

Louder than an Elephants fart in an empty biscuit tin not givning a hoot about anyone else.

Yeah dude you are right Stereotyping aint nice but is it true ??

You tell me !!:confused:

18. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    I believe it's about time the PC monster died the death it should have a long time ago.

What's next, the Irish can no longer be lucky, the French chic nor the Italians stylish?

19. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:

Dare I say it, someone who perhaps sees what I've said. :wink:

20. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is there smoke without fire, but no, of course it's not ture.

But I can tell you've been down under before, lol. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted